Vanguard Saga of Heroes Beta. Pros & Cons

I have looking into starting up Vanguard: Saga of Heroes becuase I have been playing WoW for the past 6 months and this new one seems to offer more. I love the idea of inhabiting islands in and building houses on them that other people can see. My question is - has anyone played the beta? and if so, what is good and bad? Please relate to WoW and EQ: II if possible.

Hiya,

To me it is, or will be good enough that I cancelled my 2 year old Subscription to World of Warcraft. IMO Vanguard SoH has the most potential of any MMO out there and if Brad McQuaid & Jeff Butler and company can pull it off I'll be in Vanguard for a long, long time.

I got in Beta last weekend and so far am fairly impressed and hopefull. After I got my first toon in WoW to level 60 I quickly lost interest in the game, I don't like having to play nightly for hours just so I can get a decent armor or weapon drop. Also pretty fed up with the B-Net babies over there. WoW is a great game but doesn't have the staying power for me that Vanguard looks to have.

I played EQ2 for exactly 2 weeks then cancelled my subscription. IMO it is just an easier, prettier Everquest.

A lot of people compare Vanguard to EQ, EQ2 and while it may have similarities graphics wise, it's so much more. Diplomacy, Crafting, Killing baddies, 19 races a ton of classes fairly decent character customization ( for an MMO) . Though no game beats CoH/CoV for character customization. In Vanguard if you can see a landmark you can travel there. You can own mounts/ ships and a very cool part is unlike EQ/EQ2 when on ship you sit bored and wait to cross the water, in Vanguard you can be attacked by Pirates or Seamonsters !! The list goes on and on. IMO VSoH will be the thinking man's/women's game for those that want to truly adventure and make the virtual world their own. http://www.vanguardsoh.com/faq.php

I give Vanguard Saga of Heroes a BIG two thumbs up !!!

:D

vanguard.

This game has massive potential. But right now it needs massive work too.

i am an eq1 and eq2 fan(current iteration, it sucked at release). this game feels more in tune spiritually with them than it does with wow.

i played wow to 60, realized i was playing point and click online with the little diablo pricks i couldn't stand on b.net so i cancelled my account and went over to the sony access pass.

vanguard is not a game for WoW kids. this is a complex and deep game, taking the best aspects of the two everquest games and making a game based on what gamers want to see in a game (the staff are all lovers of rpgs). it has an oldschool feel that may be a turn on or turn off for you.

my verdict, i'll still play eq2 through to endgame after vanguard is released, but i'll definitely add it to my access pass and play it.

it should be a great game... IF they get everything they are working on up and running right

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I wanted to hear. WoW's army of 7 million crying children annoys the crap out of me. I'm now looking forward to the end of this month so I can at least try this new one.

I have been seeing that term more and more lately.... I never played WoW, so what are B.net babies?

B-Net babies are Battle Net babies. They are youngins that have played or play Diablo, Diablo2 or Starcraft on Blizzards net service for multiplayer called Battle Net. They are immature and like to whine and just generally say stupid crap in the game chat channels.:rolleyes:

I'm currently in the beta, and I've messed around wtih a number of classes/races. I wasn't going to get the game until I tried beta. I personally think the environments look amazing. The world feels so huge. All of the classes I've tried had a unique feel to them. I'll definately be getting it at release.

Just read this straight from Brad McQuaids mouth that those of us with high end systems that have issues getting the most out of our rigs have good things to look forward to :p

Where the heck is Brad???? O F F I C I A L V A N G U A R D F O R U M S
Jan 15, 2007 - 03:40 PM - by Aradune Mithara Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker666
I think I speak for a lot of heavy gaming investors when I ask the following; when can we expect support for our 900+ dollar Crossfire/SLI setups?

This game is the entire reason many of us bought the 2nd card.

I hear you, and I did too -- I recently bought a bad-ass crossfire system. But we have to take care of the majority of gamers first, and they don't have these bad-ass systems. Those of us who can afford them will have to wait a bit -- for that I apologize, but it's reality. We *will* get there and some preliminary tests show up to 70% FPS increases! So hang in there and we appreciate your patience.
reply to this post Find all posts by Aradune Mithara.
Find all posts in "Where the heck is Brad????".
:D

I only have a level 12 in Vanguard, but so far I'm very pleased with what I've seen. There's a ton more classes than WOW has to offer, and each one seems to bring a lot to the table as far as group dynamics and depth goes. Also, the world is MASSIVE! I would venture to say that of the 3 continents, each one is almost the entire size of the WoW world, excluding the Asian-archipelago one, which doesn't have as much land mass, but does offer a lot of content nonetheless... e.g, there are high lvl dungeons and mobs further down the chain I've read. As a lot of people have brought up though, the system requirements are steep and low FPS or graphics settings may spoil some of the fun and exploration. I can attest that ATI rigs are doing better than nvidia right now for some reason, since I'm able to get close to 30 FPS with my current setup (see sig) @ high settings, whereas most nvidia users seem to have a hard time getting good FPS on any combination of hardware or graphics settings.

I'll probably get this at release day, mainly because this game is mostly about small group content with only about 20% of the total game focussed on raids... forced raiding is what brought me to quit WoW so quickly, and that doesn't seem to be the plan for endgame as far as I've read.

Hi,

I'd quite like to get into a MMORPG, but I like a mixture of Roleplaying, puzzle solving, as well as a decent combat system, and a feeling that the world is constantly changing. To be honest I would quite like something close to Oblivion but with multiplayer (although I find the oblivion dungeons a little bland at times). I know thats a big ask.

What really put me off games like EQ was I was spending 99% of my time standing next to a monster spawn point to gain a weedy amount of XP. And if I wasn`t doing that people were grumbing I was too close to "their" monster spawn points.

My experience of "huge game worlds" normally just means "vast expanses of nothing or spawning monsters. Yawn.

Will Vanguard be any different?

:)

You can definately feel that they have kicked it into high gear. They have brought some impressive changes to the game within the last week alone. Last month I was afraid that too much was still incomplete for it to release successfully, now I am pretty confident it will be a successful launch.

There have been some very impressive changes in the last week, Servers more stable, respawn rates of mobs have been stepped up several notches so far eliminating the need for mob camping. I'm eagerly looking forward to release. :D

OK everyone seems to like VG.

So heres a poster that hates it.

Tried beta last week for just 1 night. And i gotta tell ya. It's an EQ2 clone. same graphics, same landscapes, same sony, It doesn't look finished at ALL. IMO try it in 6 months. but stay away from it for now.

Performance wise..... I had nothing on screen (or just about) and was getting 25 FPS. settings on balanced. 1280x780

Saga of no frames per second. It took me all of 10 minutes to realize that I couldn't play the game with out it looking like complete trash.

I've been in beta a couple of weeks now and I notice huge strides everytime I log in recently. Personally I'm excited WoW was always lackluster and catered too much to the masses for me (see also b.net kiddies/horrible community).

This morning I tried to take my level 7 dreadknight overland to another starting city (in preparation for launch to play with friends. Learning the route etc) after being chased by giant spiders, skirting 2 miles around some huge named giant, being chased by some kind of spider disguising itself as a plant, and some orc raiders. I near my destination only to have a snake pop up out of nowhere and chase me into a bear.

Watch out for the snakes that are in cahoots with the bears.

Anyway so far I'm enjoying it it's had something missing from DDO when I tried it and something Burning Crusade has failed to capture for me. Maybe we'll see a game where reputation on the server matters again one of the few things I missed from EQ.

OK everyone seems to like VG.

So heres a poster that hates it.

Tried beta last week for just 1 night. And i gotta tell ya. It's an EQ2 clone. same graphics, same landscapes, same sony, It doesn't look finished at ALL. IMO try it in 6 months. but stay away from it for now.

Performance wise..... I had nothing on screen (or just about) and was getting 25 FPS. settings on balanced. 1280x780

Actually I'd say EQ2's character models are WAY better than what Vanguard has to offer at the moment. Sigil will be modifying the character animations/customizations but they've said most of it won't be ready until after launch.

At any rate, Vanguard has potential to be a great game, but I don't buy games based on potential. The graphics are ok I suppose, but I certainly don't jizz my pants when I load up the game and I'm able to run everything on maximum settings (yeah frame rate still sucks). Other than the character models and spell effects looking like total ass (which will be fixed I know), Vanguard feels like every other fantasy MMO I've played. I have plans to purchase the game but not until it's been around at least 4 months. There's way too many unfinished or missing features for me to support Sigil until the game is ready enough for ME to play it.

Oh and another thing I really hate about Vanguard right now it the community. Sure, every game has their fair share of fan--boys but Vanguard's... wow. Some of the people come off as if Vanguard is the savior of all video games. The elitist attitude a lot of these people have is truely a sight to behold. Hopefully, by the time I get the game most of this stuff has died down.

I've been playing the Beta for a few weeks now and it seem like it will be a great game once they have some server lag/stability worked out. Also i hope they add in Anti-Ailiasing to...........

Note: I've been playing WoW for about 8 months now and i may switch depending on how soon they get things straightened around and how much the monthly fee will be. I prefer the more realistic graphics as opposed to toon...

The game has a lot of potential. Im going to play WoW: BC until it bores me(probaly not that long) then I may play Vanguard.

Is there any ways to get into the open beta anymore? I'm trying to desperately just give this game a shot for like 2 hours max. I can get a feel if I'll like it or not after that. Any chance someone could hook me up?

Is there any ways to get into the open beta anymore? I'm trying to desperately just give this game a shot for like 2 hours max. I can get a feel if I'll like it or not after that. Any chance someone could hook me up?

It will be tough, I think most sites that were giving away keys are out now. Besides, the beta ends on the 23rd.

What really put me off games like EQ was I was spending 99% of my time standing next to a monster spawn point to gain a weedy amount of XP.

[...]

Will Vanguard be any different?
TBH, I don't think any of the MMORPGs I've played in the past 5+ years have been like that. Maybe you should have tried a few of them.

ive been playing it sence the open beta started "pre order kit" and i have to say from the first day i played up until now the game has seen some major patches that have fixed tons of things for the better. they game is getting better and better every day with thier non stop patches.

sure the game has some issues still but nothing that cant be worked out that ive seen.

so far ive been having fun in the game aside form knowing my characters are getting deleted at the end of beta but that was to be expected.

Is anyone planning on going to the PvP servers at release? From what I read 2 weeks ago, they were planning a fairly hardcore ruleset... loot 1 non-equipped item, all cash, and force the guy to make the trek back to his body. The killer faces strict faction hits as a deterrent for this behavior, though... meaning limited access to cities, forcing you live like a hermit in your own house off in the woods, away from guards (gotta love non-instanced housing, like UO had). Can't wait :)

Vanguard looks cool, but I'm personally waiting for Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising. I have been dying to play a mmorpg that takes place during the times of the Roman Empire (and looks graphically good at the same time).

Plus... I don't feel like downloading 20gb :p

But have fun all that play it, it looks good

(How does it run on everyone's PC?)

Plus... I don't feel like downloading 20gb :p
No kidding. I thought WoW was bad.

16.6 GB... f'ing ridiculous.

It runs... meh. Not that great. Of course, my gaming system's not that great, either. With "High Performance" settings I get a decent enough framerate, but it looks like rubbish. I think the game itself still feels kinda clunky, like it needs another month or two of polish.

Is anyone planning on going to the PvP servers at release? From what I read 2 weeks ago, they were planning a fairly hardcore ruleset... loot 1 non-equipped item, all cash, and force the guy to make the trek back to his body. The killer faces strict faction hits as a deterrent for this behavior, though... meaning limited access to cities, forcing you live like a hermit in your own house off in the woods, away from guards (gotta love non-instanced housing, like UO had). Can't wait :)

Gonna join an alt pvp server, the hardcore ffa server blows :)

Back