Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

J W

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay so I've seen this game recommended in several threads over the last year or so. First, why is it selling for $118 on amazon? And the cheapest used copy is going for nearly 60 bucks. ??

Second, has anyone gotten it to work on Vista? The steam version doesn't list vista as a supported OS (and it further says that X64 is not supported).

Third, will the unofficial patches I keep reading about work with the steam version?

Thanks. Hopefully this'll be my next game after Morrowind.

Gamestop.com has it for $19.99:D

P1010136.jpg

Okay so I've seen this game recommended in several threads over the last year or so. First, why is it selling for $118 on amazon? And the cheapest used copy is going for nearly 60 bucks. ??

Second, has anyone gotten it to work on Vista? The steam version doesn't list vista as a supported OS (and it further says that X64 is not supported).

Third, will the unofficial patches I keep reading about work with the steam version?

Sometime Amazon pricing looks really wacked.... If you look at this product under "marketplace", someone has it used for over $300!!! Sometimes this looks like it is a pricing error (like the $300 price), but in other cases.... not...

I am in a band, you can get our CD on CD Baby for $6. Someone is try to sell it on the Marketplace for $145! (Hope nobody buys it!) I think that some sellers think if something is "rare", they try to ream you. Either way, this shit is crazy!!!! :eek:

I've actually just started playing this in the last couple of weeks (got it the same week as WoW and it's been sitting on a shelf). It's been fairly average as far as fun goes. I'm guessing I'm about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through the game and I just cheated to give myself max abilities in lockpicking/persuation/etc and the game has become much more fun. I don't plan on playing through a second time so I don't want to miss anything.

From what I read the user patches work with the steam version too - although I'm running a boxed copy.

As for the game costing so much on amazon ... it's got vampires and they have become a bit of a fad lately. I wouldn't pay more than $15 for it.

It works in Vista.

The unoffical patches do work on the Steam version.

Sellers on Amazon are complete dumbasses.

Steam has it cheap. Go Gamer gets it cheap.

You definitely want to patch this game up all the way through all the unofficial patches.

I love this game. It's sorely overlooked, underrated, and WAY deserving of a sequel.

yes look for unofficial patch on steam forum vampire section
i got this installed on my pc and i run vista ultimate works flawless

LMFAO Those are the two games I just installed. I am deep into Morrowind already and just started Vamp. You could surely find it at most PC game retailers very cheap around the city. Usually GameStop has used copies for under $20, unless they went Marvel v Capcom 2 with it.

I'd say the purchasers are the dumbasses.

Yeah, if you pay $300 for a game.... however.... I have bought a crapload of stuff from Amazon, because a lot of time it is the cheapest thing going.... especially with free shipping and no taxes. I've got a lot of stuff dirt cheap and I never got a hassle returning anything. Sorry for the digression.....

Yeah, if you pay $300 for a game.... however.... I have bought a crapload of stuff from Amazon, because a lot of time it is the cheapest thing going.... especially with free shipping and no taxes. I've got a lot of stuff dirt cheap and I never got a hassle returning anything. Sorry for the digression.....

That's about what I paid for Steel Battalion when it first came out.

Yep VtM:BL is an awesome game! Great fps-rpg - I'd say it's probably the second best (to Deus Ex) in this genre I've ever played. It has a lot of authentic goth/vamp underground references and music - it may help if you're already into or familiar w/ those cultures to really get into it, but I’m sure it'd be pretty fun either way. I've played through it 3 or 4 times. It really can be a completely different game depending on which character clan options you chose etc. I have an old boxed copy and it runs fine in Vista - for a reasonable price and easy patching etc, I'd go w/ the Steam version.

I haven't tried it on Vista, so I'll just assume everyone else is right about Vista working fine.

The installer (boxed version) won't let you install it on XP64, but if you install it on XP32 then just run it on XP64 it works just fine. It ran a bit slower, but other than that running it on XP64 wasn't a problem.

I guess I can understand saying XP64 isn't supported. When the game came out Vista wasn't around yet and XP64 was (and is) a black sheep OS very few people use. It's quite understandable if a game maker doesn't want to put any resources into supporting it. The thing that doesn't make much sense is not letting someone install it anyway at their own risk when it clearly works.

I played through about half of it a while ago but the computer i was using couldn't handle it so i gave up. I enjoyed it. They should have spent some more time on the vamp abilities imo, some of them are completely useless.

How does this game play now? When it came out there were so many issues with it I gave up.

What mods or patches are essential to play it?

Its a fun game, but you want the fan patch. Long after the developer shut down and closed the official website, some fans fixed a lot of bugs and dialog problems, replaced missing dialogs, added new stuff, etc.

There was an earlier Vampire setting game, Redemption. Sort of a party-based overhead game, I think it came out in the Quake2 days. CCP (EVE Online guys) has the rights to the setting now, and thats supposed to be their next MMO.

You can get all the patches at Patches Scrolls. A new one was just released last week.
http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php#61

I have it running on Vista x64. I think all you need to do is run it as admin and in compatibility mode for XP.
Also if you make use of Alchemy with your SB cards you will find Vampire on the list of supported games. I don't think it is 5.1 surround though, just 2.1 stereo.

You can get all the patches at Patches Scrolls. A new one was just released last week.
http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php#61

I have it running on Vista x64. I think all you need to do is run it as admin and in compatibility mode for XP.
Also if you make use of Alchemy with your SB cards you will find Vampire on the list of supported games. I don't think it is 5.1 surround though, just 2.1 stereo.

Do you have to install each of those patches in order or after I install 1.2 official, simply install the latest unoffical patch and be on my way?

According to patches scrolls you don't even need to install the official 1.2 patch. Just download the newest patch and you should be fully updated.
If you want to be sure it won't hurt to install the last official patch, then install the latest unofficial patch.

According to patches scrolls you don't even need to install the official 1.2 patch. Just download the newest patch and you should be fully updated.
If you want to be sure it won't hurt to install the last official patch, then install the latest unofficial patch.

Cool thanks for the link and the heads-up. :)

Just finished replaying this. What a great game this is! I was wondering: Did anyone ever come up with any cool mods for this thing past the much appreciated unofficial patch work? I want more!

I see a few stray mods out there like a Companion mod and such...

This thing really needs a sequel.

Last edited:
I wish someone would make a sequel. But I don't expect to see one anytime soon.

You might try the prequel. Vampire the Masquerade Redemption. You control a small party, instead of just your character. It was a decent game for its time.

Its been a few years since I played it. I really enjoyed it though. I wish it was significantly longer. The haunted hotel and werewolf parts freaked me out.

It's easy. As usual, WSGF's instructions are very well written. If you do what that says and are careful you can't screw up.

Download this: http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm

You follow those instructions slowly and carefully and you're up in running in less than 5 minutes easy. It's well worth it if you have a widescreen monitor and want to play at full native resolution.

I just can't see Nosferatu being fun, you're mostly hiding from people..... I just can't see it.

Had to reinstall it last night but did get the 6.1 patch in and having a lot of fun. Had gotten nearly to the end on my previous install, but it's been fun replaying everything with the all the goodies the patch added.
l love the haunted hotel. Still think it's one of the best made areas in a game i've seen in long while. :p (Actually made me jump hehe)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2600/

Steam has it for $20. Works just fine on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows XP. Nice game. Just a tad bit slow in the beginning, as it took a bit to figure out what character/skills work. Had I known how close I was to the end of the game, I probably would not have horded those unspent character points. No major issues just doing it OOTB from Steam, but I might try the patch set next long road trip...

Been playing on my 2407 24", and no problems with wide screen. Have had a few crashes due to a few bugs when i launch the game but am fine once i get into the game after 1 or 2 tries. Nothing really major actually.

Had to reinstall it last night but did get the 6.1 patch in and having a lot of fun. Had gotten nearly to the end on my previous install, but it's been fun replaying everything with the all the goodies the patch added.
l love the haunted hotel. Still think it's one of the best made areas in a game i've seen in long while. :p (Actually made me jump hehe)

I'm stuck in there right now looking for the ghost's heirloom...lol...I just cannot get into this game for some reason, even though it has made me jump...i think, once...maybe? It's a good game, though, just got so much to play and only 24 hours a day....lol

the hotel is one of the best levels i've ever played. very spooky, atmospheric and genuinely scary...

^^ Good thread bump. This is still a great game that I find I have to replay once a year on average.

Way overdue for a sequel.

Back