Valve to annouce HL3?

I thought they said the future of the series was episodic gaming.. I too will believe it when I see it.

I thought they said the future of the series was episodic gaming.. I too will believe it when I see it.
No — this goes back quite some years now but Valve explained they will not pursue episodic content since it did not work for them.

A Valve-supported free-to-play Dragon Age 3 /w hat microtransactions just flashed before my eyes, and I'm not sure how I feel about that idea.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Why are there old games in the list anyway?
Like F1 2011 or Port Royale 3 :confused:

They must get some kind of Valve-sized boner by keeping things a secret all the time. It's getting old. By the time it hits, it better be Gods gift to games. If not, I'll buy a copy to take a poo in it.

A Valve-supported free-to-play Dragon Age 3 /w hat microtransactions just flashed before my eyes, and I'm not sure how I feel about that idea.

Wouldn't surprise me if we someday see a F2P Dragon Age World MMO

Its a huge RPG name EA have (something which they don't have many) so what better candidate than Dragon Age for EA's take on F2P MMO

Well, even though it won't appear at Gamescom, where there is smoke there's fire. I think HL3 is getting closer. Sometime in the next two years... especially since Valve's plate is pretty empty after CS:GO.

Well, even though it won't appear at Gamescom, where there is smoke there's fire. I think HL3 is getting closer. Sometime in the next two years... especially since Valve's plate is pretty empty after CS:GO.

Gabe Newell have commented in the past that they wish to avoid talking about a game too long before its release, as in talking about something before any work has even begun.

And I think they took that approach with CS:GO. Not too long after its announcement came the Beta program.

So yeah, I think we'll hear about HL3 no more than 1-2 years before its release.

Wouldn't surprise me if we someday see a F2P Dragon Age World MMO

Its a huge RPG name EA have (something which they don't have many) so what better candidate than Dragon Age for EA's take on F2P MMO

EA's next big title will be the Star Wars MMO style Call of Dragon Mass Crysis2 Duty Age Effect 3. The only thing better than a crappy title is lifting crap from a bunch of different crappy games. Then making it an MMO.

I just want to know why it takes 6+ freaking years to make a damn game.

Doughnut breaks?

It's kind of as is the studio is in fact not even really a studio, but a place where everyone goes each and every day, to work on 500 things at once, not ever really finishing anything. I'm sure the attitude and motto is: It'll get done when it gets done. Unfortunately, people won't wait forever.

False. CS:Hat party is the next DLC.

My guess is because of the way they run things. Valve is like a child with ADHD, they can't pay attention sometimes but they always manage to surprise you with something. Their new employee orientation handbook really explains alot about the inner workings of valve. Rarely do they split up their workforce so the entire team is working on everything and nothing at the same time. I assume that they didn't really have an outline for EP3 and decided to work on some other side projects while they came up with story boards. Gabe then veto'd each of these as disgraceful and not befitting the storyline. I am sure by now they came up with something good but with so many side projects on the table they decided to complete those first before releasing EP3 and now that they waited so long they don't want to dissapoint by releasing on an outdated engine so they are working on Source 2 before announcing anything else.

It's kind of as is the studio is in fact not even really a studio, but a place where everyone goes each and every day, to work on 500 things at once, not ever really finishing anything. I'm sure the attitude and motto is: It'll get done when it gets done. Unfortunately, people won't wait forever.

Valve are perfectionists to a fault, it's true. However, I'm curious as to why you think people won't wait forever? DNF was pretty hyped leading up to it's release. Sure, it was a crap game and sold poorly because of it, but it still sold a lot of copies on the Duke Nukem name alone, and if it was a decent game it would have sold way more copies.

IMO HL3 could come out in 5 years and still be highly anticipated upon release. Sure it will succeed or fail based on how good a game it actually is, but the hype will always be there, no matter when it comes out. The community will wait forever.

Team Fortress 2 2007
Left 4 Dead 2008
Left 4 Dead 2 2009
Alien Swarm 2010
Portal 2 2011
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive 2012
Dota 2 2012

Now I'm not desperately defending their release schedule but this isn't like a 3D realms vaporware thing. They've been keeping busy.

I think it's just a tough thing to get your head around with the scope of HL. Gabe's a good guy but he's no writer. I suspect some of the key people have left Valve to do other things like Dishonored. So as a studio thats more about games than money they'd rather just make sure they do it right or not at all. They were or are still waiting for some magical writing messiah to show up and tell them wtf to do.

Avatar was written in 1993 and it still wasn't perfect. Wall-E was written in 1994. Quality takes time. I think about the Star Wars Prequels and how desperately they caved and catered to fans and ended up falling flat on their faces. I adore HL and don't want that to happen to the franchise. I can wait.

I would be a silly person if I said Valve was running a bad business model. You would be a silly person if you said people will not wait for HL3. People waited years longer for Diablo 3, and it's not even very good.

Valve are perfectionists to a fault, it's true. However, I'm curious as to why you think people won't wait forever? DNF was pretty hyped leading up to it's release. Sure, it was a crap game and sold poorly because of it, but it still sold a lot of copies on the Duke Nukem name alone, and if it was a decent game it would have sold way more copies.

IMO HL3 could come out in 5 years and still be highly anticipated upon release. Sure it will succeed or fail based on how good a game it actually is, but the hype will always be there, no matter when it comes out. The community will wait forever.

Well sure, they'll wait forever to a degree, but I feel like the same hype won't be there. I remember being excited alongside a ton of other people once I finished Half-Life 2 and it's episodes, wanting more. But after waiting several years I just don't have AS MUCH excitement. With the bountiful crappy games coming out lately, the name alone shouldn't be a selling factor anymore, yet it is.

Sometime in the next 2 to 3 years, one or more really good games will come out that I will enjoy. One of those games may or may not be HL3. Until then, I will enjoy the really good games that are already out.

I honestly don't get all the pining and anticipation and "Valve owes it to us loyal fans" mindset that rears its head whenever the HL franchise is mentioned. If it comes out, it comes out. The more recent installments of the franchise, I would argue, weren't even great enough to warrant the massive fanbase. If anything I'm more interested something to promote the next iteration of the Source engine. (One that supports more than 2 dynamic shadowing lights, perhaps?) How about a Dark Messiah 2 instead?

Sometime in the next 2 to 3 years, one or more really good games will come out that I will enjoy. One of those games may or may not be HL3. Until then, I will enjoy the really good games that are already out.

I honestly don't get all the pining and anticipation and "Valve owes it to us loyal fans" mindset that rears its head whenever the HL franchise is mentioned. If it comes out, it comes out. The more recent installments of the franchise, I would argue, weren't even great enough to warrant the massive fanbase. If anything I'm more interested something to promote the next iteration of the Source engine. (One that supports more than 2 dynamic shadowing lights, perhaps?) How about a Dark Messiah 2 instead?

Valve didn't make Dark Messiah. Arkane is working on Dishonored. No Dark Messiah 2 for you!

Valve didn't make Dark Messiah. Arkane is working on Dishonored. No Dark Messiah 2 for you!

Of course Valve didn't make Dark Messiah. I was in no way implying that. I just said that I wanted an interesting game to usher in a new engine.

Of course Valve didn't make Dark Messiah. I was in no way implying that. I just said that I wanted an interesting game to usher in a new engine.

I wasn't clarifying for you. Just a pre-emptive for the others, since 90% of the people on the internet think Bethesda developed Fallout: New Vegas.

Back