Valve screwed up L4D

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
So yesterday Valve locked versus on normal and killed the boomer suicide explosion. Now it just seems less fun. There are less zombies in the horde run. Also the boomer suicide was key when you couldnt get close enough to throw up on them.

Anyone else's thoughts on this?

They didn't make the smoker Not Redundant.

Valve are masters of patching retard-style.

So yesterday Valve locked versus on normal and killed the boomer suicide explosion. Now it just seems less fun. There are less zombies in the horde run. Also the boomer suicide was key when you couldnt get close enough to throw up on them.

Anyone else's thoughts on this?

the boomer suicide wasn't a key.. all you do is type kill in console and you explode instead of just die. the survivors could knock you back and shot you out of range so you didn't get vomit on you from his explosion. There is even a achievement for this knock back. basiclly you bind a key to kill.. soon as they knock you back you hit the key you bound and you explode. If you dont see how that wasnt a huge advantage you obviously dont play vs.

the boomer suicide wasn't a key.. all you do is type kill in console and you explode instead of just die. the survivors could knock you back and shot you out of range so you didn't get vomit on you from his explosion. There is even a achievement for this knock back. basiclly you bind a key to kill.. soon as they knock you back you hit the key you bound and you explode. If you dont see how that wasnt a huge advantage you obviously dont play vs.

I do think that was an advantage and liked it very much. At the same time, the melee is a fucking joke. You can hold off pretty much everything coming at you, including boomer making it pretty much impossible to explode on the people. Seeing that boomer is not something that can escape easily, the suicide was its best advantage. Instead what they should have done is limit the amount of time the boomer has before it can respawn.

I like advanced Versus more than anything, it seems to be the perfect balance.

On Normal no one cares about Friendly fire(unload a full clip of auto shotty into a team mate and laugh!), common infected(1 damage), witches(lol autoshotty), or boomers(A normal horde rush is cake to live through unscathed).

They should let us choose our versus diff client side.

I do think that was an advantage and liked it very much. At the same time, the melee is a fucking joke. You can hold off pretty much everything coming at you, including boomer making it pretty much impossible to explode on the people. Seeing that boomer is not something that can escape easily, the suicide was its best advantage. Instead what they should have done is limit the amount of time the boomer has before it can respawn.

The boomer is key to every attack. i don't know if u know this. But when you vomit / explode on someone.. you cant see outlines of your other survivor teammates.. which means a smoker or hunter could pounce someone like 10 feet from you and you would never see it.. or barely see it. and on top of that you have 20 zombies coming after you. This fix was needed.

Valve have a long history of going to town on their own (or affiliated) games with insane patch changes.

They more or less play the developer that no one can say no too, a bit like a child whos just been made king and doesnt understand the power they have, with autopatching for steam games they just force whatever changes they want down our throats, where you enjoying Day Of Defeat source on 64 player servers? GUESS WHAT TOUGH SHIT, you can't play like that anymore simply because we say so.

Enjoying TF2? Heres a bunch of stupid balances patches for just a handful of characters that throws game balance way off whack. Dont worry we'll be back with more TF2 stupidity as well before long, they will release a soldier update or something like that and we'll see 98% of everyone playing soldiers for 2 weeks solid.

It doesn't surprise me that this trend continues over to L4D, they will probably go on a round of killing custom servers so people cant enhance the gameplay as they please, probably introduce a load of bugs and crashes and throw player balance off centre with stupid meaningless changes to game mechanics.

The boomer is key to every attack. i don't know if u know this. But when you vomit / explode on someone.. you cant see outlines of your other survivor teammates.. which means a smoker or hunter could pounce someone like 10 feet from you and you would never see it.. or barely see it. and on top of that you have 20 zombies coming after you. This fix was needed.

Yes I do know this, Im very aware of how the game works. My point is keep the suicide ability but slow down the respawn time for it. Its to easy to melee the boomer away far enough and then shoot it so you dont splattered by the explosion. The vomit is to short compared to the length of the smoker tongue or hunter jumps.

I agree Frostex, its like the BS they pulled in TF2 with the limiting of the 32 player servers. In the end they "allowed" it but not till there was enough bitching for it first.

I think the fix on the Boomer was justified, but fuck....why can't we choose a difficulty on versus mode?

The Boomer suicide explosion was an exploit and Valve are probably going to add a difficulty modifier to the lobby for Versus. They just don't want servers to force it on players without them knowing beforehand, ruining the experience.

The Boomer suicide explosion was an exploit and Valve are probably going to add a difficulty modifier to the lobby for Versus. They just don't want servers to force it on players without them knowing beforehand, ruining the experience.

There is openserverbrowser and I used that more then the matchmaker because I wanted to play advanced/expert over normal.

There is openserverbrowser and I used that more then the matchmaker because I wanted to play advanced/expert over normal.

I always ended up on Korean or Asian servers somehow. Impossible difficulty + tragic ping + teammates you can't understand.

Best experience evar.

I agree with a few of the other posters. Game developers should allow the player to customize the game how they see fit. I don't understand why they don't create a menu full of common settings, and server tweaks. All they need to do is toss in a few sliders that adjust the console settings. If someone wants to run a server with zombies moving at half the speed, unlimited ammo, and hordes 5x as dense, that should be possible from a user friendly menu. Or what about if I want to run a server where zombies instagib users in one hit? Why don't they setup a menu to customize your gameplay mode? This applies to nearly every game. I was reading a thread on this forum related to goldeneye64, and that's one of the few games I can remember where players could choose from a ton of ridiculous gameplay modes, depending on what they found to be entertaining.

Have fun paying for every update.

And not having the choice to join modded servers, or those with the settings altered to counteract Valve's apparent complete inability to engage their brains when it comes to patching.

I honestly think sometimes they just say to themselves "How can we be as disabled as possible with this patch?" then read the feedback people give on the relevant game and go in completely the opposite direction just to wind everyone up.

Relax... u guys r taking this waaay to serious
Ok, they screw up by locking the difficulty

Bitch coherently at official forums and maybe Valve will listen

As for the Boomer... learn to use it without exploits

And not having the choice to join modded servers, or those with the settings altered to counteract Valve's apparent complete inability to engage their brains when it comes to patching.

I honestly think sometimes they just say to themselves "How can we be as disabled as possible with this patch?" then read the feedback people give on the relevant game and go in completely the opposite direction just to wind everyone up.

They made the game. they balanced the game. I have more faith in their decisions than those of whiners on the Steam forums. I personally haven't had an issue with the balance in the game so far at all. We did 8 player vs. at a recent LAN and it was on normal, no mods, etc. and no one ever made it to the safe houses, because we're all half way decent players.

I think this patch was just a stop-gap anyway. notice how quick it came after the last one. They probably locked it for now until they figure out what they're going to do. I'd rather they lock everyone into how the game was made to be played, than have them throw out a half-assed was of getting around it.

QFT.

People will do whatever is necessary to win. They don't realize it is an exploit, it is just winning. Well Valve and a smaller percentage of the people who still know what fair honest gameplay is, do realize it is an exploit and they fix it.

Like I use to say in my Tiberian Sun days, "Learn the game, not the glitches."

Valve is great at balancing games over time. They do their research, study the numbers and release a balance update when THEY ARE READY. If there is a serious glitch or unbalanced aspect of the game, it will be fixed by Valve we just need to be patient. :)

Would you rather they do that Rockstar and a dozen other companies do and release games early? :rolleyes:

For one I didn't know about boomer suicide.

For two I didn't like expert mode on versus. You can get killed way to quickly if you have a bad team. Which is most of the time from my experience. I have a friend who plays it with me, but on expert that isn't enough considering the 2 hunters, smoker, and boomer.

I'm actually mad that I have another friend who made us get it right when it came out. He was dying to play coop mode with us, since then he has barely played with us. I guess finals got in the way since it is around that time. I could have gotten the game for 20 bucks @ amazon too if we waited to get the game -.-.

I'm actually very happy about both these updates...why is everyone so asshurt about it?

I tend to agree Normal is a bit too staggered in favor of the survivors, but if you play competentently as infected you can make it work. I hated never knowing what kind of server you were joining for vs. At least theres some consistency. The boomer suicide isnt intended to be part of the game, I'm glad to see it gone, I got robbed by it many a time - which was even more frustrating on expert servers.

I wouldnt mind the ability to selection difficulty per server or something - but I prefer to be locked in than playing the slot machines every time you join a game.

If theres 1 alteration i would like to see its a "standard" server brwoser instead of the match based browser. but oh well.

when you guys say boomer suicide , do you mean running around a corner and blowing up on them . or do you mean typing kill in console. i call the former a boomer suicide. if that's removed then i think it's a silly gameplay change i used to love sneaking up on survivors and trying to get close enough so they'd shoot me.

Relax... u guys r taking this waaay to serious
Ok, they screw up by locking the difficulty

Bitch coherently at official forums and maybe Valve will listen

I think the point is that they do their patches irrelevant of what people say on their forums or elsewhere, it's just easier to name and shame outside of where they can control peoples posting ability.

you guys are fucking idiots. valve fixed a boomer exploit and removed the vs difficulty modifier b/c theyre most likely going to add it to the front-end. nothing was more frustrating then joining a versus game via lobby and realizing the it's on expert and you cant get out of the fucking safe house. im no L4D god but im not bad and we often organize groups and join together and expert is freaking INSANE in versus. difficulty setting only works one way in versus, against Survivors. this is fine in campaign but in versus it's impossible.

let the lobby leader pick the vs difficulty and let players join a specific difficulty lobby.

my clan has 2 L4D private servers and we use the server browser. even with the browser there's no way to tell versus difficulty. im sure valve will let lobby leaders or server admins change difficulties themselves soon enough.

I think the point is that they do their patches irrelevant of what people say on their forums or elsewhere, it's just easier to name and shame outside of where they can control peoples posting ability.

I don't think Valve have gotten to where they are today but just going against everything the players want.

They made the game. they balanced the game. I have more faith in their decisions than those of whiners on the Steam forums. I personally haven't had an issue with the balance in the game so far at all. We did 8 player vs. at a recent LAN and it was on normal, no mods, etc. and no one ever made it to the safe houses, because we're all half way decent players.

I think this patch was just a stop-gap anyway. notice how quick it came after the last one. They probably locked it for now until they figure out what they're going to do. I'd rather they lock everyone into how the game was made to be played, than have them throw out a half-assed was of getting around it.

The problem is that going by their treatment of TF2, the whiners on the Steam forums are to whom they pander their patches.

I don't think Valve have gotten to where they are today but just going against everything the players want.

Therein lies the rub. By listening to the semi-literate bleatings of people that are too pigshit-thick to learn how to play different classes in TF2 they've come out with endless balances and tweaks and updates that've now ruined what was a perfectly good game.

This is a good change. If you are infected, and you can't take down the survivors on advanced or expert every single time, your team is absolutely horrible.

And the boomer change was an change to an obviously unintended use of console commands.

Valve have gotten where they are today because they're good business men, they understand the principle of making money from the gaming sector, this isn't the same thing as making good/fun games.

Valve have gotten where they are today because they're good business men, they understand the principle of making money from the gaming sector, this isn't the same thing as making good/fun games.

Yet without making good, fun games, they wouldn't have a business to speak of. Chicken and the egg situation I guess.

All the biggest money makers are games like WoW and The sims, as well as repeat franchises from people like EA, sports games like madden, and games like need for speed which are spewed out every 18 months with a new label.

There is a much greater link between advertising budget and sales than almost anything else (halo anyone), even valve are guilty of taking us for a ride with their "packages" over steam, games are over priced and we're more or less forced to rebuy older copies of games to get new games at a decent price (al la, the black/orange box fiasco)

It's what you get for paying $50 for another bastard child from Valve that they forget about once they've made some money on it.

The problem with locking it down to normal is a decent group of survivors CANNOT lose. Not even tanks scare me in normal unless they have a car or forklift to hit at me because they still don't do enough damage to me. There are still really bad map exploits they haven't fixed, they still aren't allowing people to manually drop off ledges which is a real problem when you get stuck on a hand rail, you can still reload while using melee, and melee in itself is extremely overpowered.

Seriously though, look at all of this shit they could be fixing.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751344

They didn't make the smoker Not Redundant.

Valve are masters of patching retard-style.

Yes they are, just like they demonstrated here http://store.steampowered.com/news/681/

They reduced the difficulty of the only interesting part of EP1 because too many people died there. Of course, they ignored the fact that was the most amazing and intense level of the whole HL2+EP1+EP2 games combined, and now we have another easy cake level, instead of the intended ass kicking one.

Luckily I still have an unpatched version of the game I got from somewhere I'm not saying here, where the original level is still intact. It's simply amazing.

Yes they are, just like they demonstrated here http://store.steampowered.com/news/681/

They reduced the difficulty of the only interesting part of EP1 because too many people died there. Of course, they ignored the fact that was the most amazing and intense level of the whole HL2+EP1+EP2 games combined, and now we have another easy cake level, instead of the intended ass kicking one.

Luckily I still have an unpatched version of the game I got from somewhere I'm not saying here, where the original level is still intact. It's simply amazing.

Was it the zombie/dark room elevator level they changed? Because I could have sworn that was some crazy shit when I first played and then noticed something different when I replayed one year later.

Was it the zombie/dark room elevator level they changed? Because I could have sworn that was some crazy shit when I first played and then noticed something different when I replayed one year later.

Yes, that one.

Back