Valve Renames Artifact Card with "Racist Connotations"

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Valve was accused of being racist this week when Twitter got wind of an Artifact card called “Crack The Whip,” whose description began with “modify a black hero.” The developer has changed the card’s name to “Coordinated Assault” “to avoid connotations of slavery and racism.”

Valve’s Tweet announcing the card received a handful of feedback questioning the associations that came along with it. Alongside several reaction gifs and memes, the top response, from @MattFrasche, reads in part “You should REALLY change the name of this card. Having a card called “Crack The Whip” that says it modifies black heroes is not a good look, especially out of context.”

Okay, I can kinda see this one. It’s bad with no context. Knowing nothing about the game, but I have to assume black doesn’t refer to skin color?

It's all related, the goal is the end of the United States and all of it's citizens under the belief they won't go down with the ship.

They are screwing up though, they pushed too fast, started getting seen for what they are, now they are full of hellbent rage.

dark humor is dark . lol, I find a lot of people to sensitive nowadays. In our country We still have it chill when it comes to some racist jokes. (below the belt jokes though are reserved for friends,lol)

What a bunch of crackers.

I would have never thought of it as a racist statement had I read that card "crack the whip". Indiana Jones maybe

and with this post the meaning of the term cracker for a white person suddenly makes sense. It never occurred to me why that was a slang term for a white person.

Does it still "modify a black hero"?

*putting nutcase cap on*:woot:
If so, could not a "coordinated assault" resulting in modifying a "black hero" be taken as a group castrating a slave?!:eek:(n):whistle:
*removing nutcase cap*

They opened the door by letting those thin skinned, tree hugging, tofu eating, silent farting, be-good-to-everyone, SJW's get them to relent and change the card in the first place!

this-shit-right-here-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things.jpg

It's all related, the goal is the end of the United States and all of it's citizens under the belief they won't go down with the ship.

They are screwing up though, they pushed too fast, started getting seen for what they are, now they are full of hellbent rage.

Can say that again. I will say the end will soon be upon them, but be forewarned: the demon screams the loudest right before it is exorcised.

Headline news, "Valve Triggers Right Wing Social Justice Warriors Across The Nation"/ /Film at 11

The reason black slaves were whipped was to modify their behavior, so duh, bad things to juxtapose.

The reason black slaves were whipped was to modify their behavior, so duh, bad things to juxtapose.
because black people were the only ones to ever be slaves or ever be whipped throughout history :facepalm: oh wait it still goes on today.... SJW might want to refocus their "disgust" at Saudi and their corporal punishment, their oppression of religions, their patriarchy

Well, the connotation is there, not that we should extrapolate the worst part of humanity in any way from something this mundane, * IF people are offended change it, if not leave it, you don't have to cater to every SJW that's loud and obnoxious. Btw in history in general "Crack the Whip" is a sentiment that ripples through all cultures just like slavery, it isn't mutually exclusive to one skin color or race. Trying to claim it's yours alone to be angry at when said is just ignorant and a lack of world history....

because black people were the only ones to ever be slaves or ever be whipped throughout history :facepalm: oh wait it still goes on today.... SJW might want to refocus their "disgust" at Saudi and their corporal punishment, their oppression of religions, their patriarchy

Long before your notion of SJWs or before we were even born plenty of people would be wondering what's up with juxtaposing those particular phrases. That's simply some weird shit to put together randomly that has such deep history to it.

Whip cracking is to get your sled dogs to pull the sled or your horses to pull the carriage.

Anything else is just wishful thinking and conclusion jumping.

And you totally ignored the other part.
There is no other part. I'm not racist so my mind didn't go there at all.

I have a black heart and so I assumed the character also had a black heart. That is where my mind went.

**Disclaimer** I play Demo in TF2.

I don't think it's a big deal at all. The phrasing could have been better, it's easy to change the digital card, and boom, done. I mean, it's not like anyone's saying that Jesus is gay and trans and hated Trump. They're just saying that there's a better way to explain something to do with "black heroes" than "crack the whip."

if you can change what you want changed....why not tell them what you want it changed to...remember you are the only one with any rights now.

As much as we want to just go on with our lives and put racism behind us, there are those who seek to keep it on the front lines of society's problems. That way it is always on many peoples' minds so that anything can be interpreted as having some aspect of racism. In this case, I doubt the intention was racism. It is just another thing that can be interpreted as being racist.

I remember when Greg Knapp was on KLIF in Dallas. He mentioned how the sensitivity of some people is so bad that to simply use the word "black" is racist. What happened was the Dallas city council was going over the budget and one council member said: "We are in the black." Another member of the city council took offense to it because of the use of "black."

Last edited:
As much as we want to just go on with our lives and put racism behind us, there are those who seek to keep it on the front lines of society's problems. That way it is always on many peoples' minds so that anything can be interpreted as having some aspect of racism. In this case, I doubt the intention was racism. It is just another thing that can be interpreted as being racist.

I remember when Greg Knapp was on KLIF in Dallas. He mentioned how the sensitivity of some people is so bad that to simply use the word "black" is racist. What happened was the Dallas city council was going over the budget and one council member said: "We are in the black." Another member of the city council took offense to it because of the use of "black."

They could have used nigrum or negro instead. The latin and spanish words for black.

Back