Valve proposes changes to Linux kernel to make it more 'game-friendly'

Very cool, but the patch seems to be getting a thrashing haha.
Linux kernel devs are relentless when it comes to style and nitpicking (for the better IMO).

Linux Devs:

raw.gif

Very cool, but the patch seems to be getting a thrashing haha.
Linux kernel devs are relentless when it comes to style and nitpicking (for the better IMO).

And supporting other projects- see ZFS and the needed workarounds in Kernel 5.0+. And ZFS is still the best featureful filesystem for Linux despite that.

And supporting other projects- see ZFS and the needed workarounds in Kernel 5.0+. And ZFS is still the best featureful filesystem for Linux despite that.

I haven't really followed the ZFS thing all that much.
Filesystems in the kernel are not something I have had much time to dive into yet.

I haven't really followed the ZFS thing all that much.
Filesystems in the kernel are not something I have had much time to dive into yet.

It's been ported from Solaris (Unix), has been supported by FreeBSD for quite some time, is available as the main filesystem for FreeNAS, and now the ZFS-on-Linux (ZoL) project has taken the development lead.

Essentially, if you have data that you care about and you want to put it on two or more drives in an array for redundancy, you want ZFS. I'm currently running two four-drive arrays under CentOS 7.6 with ZoL, and I'm looking forward to the CentOS 8.0 release along with support for ZFS 0.8+ as an upgrade.

Ubuntu is also building in ZFS support for their installer in Ubuntu 19.10 later this year, which will then be used to build their next LTS in 2020.

Some day we may have peace. Proton has been working great for one of my friends. Valve maybe going in the right direction.

Back