Valve ‘Probably’ Done With Single-Player Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
What's this? Valve is saying the company is "probably" done with single player games? Hey, maybe they'll start with Half-Life 2: Episode Three and make your sidekicks playable.

"Portal 2 will probably be Valve's last game with an isolated single-player experience," Keighley wrote in Final Hours, "What this all means is something Newell is still trying to figure out."

So this means that Single player will all have the ability to have a co op partner or someone there to share the experience? Sounds alright but imo a great SP experience is worth 1000 mediocre MP experiences.

If it means that you can play it solo, or play it co-op, fine by me. You still have the option.

Lots of I heard or he told me he said in the article about yet another journalist. Hearsay three or four times removed. Not sure what to make of it, but a part of me is thinking perhaps Gabe Newell is simply being sarcastic when referring to the continuing poor quality of single player games designed as an afterthought when developers make multiplayer games.

If there is no single player or solo play in the game, for me it is not worth buying at any price.

I play single player FPS or action games only...who the f*ck thinks these things up? Welcome to the consolized world where you can only play online with kiddies...

i dont believe it for a second. single player games are valves bread and butter

Well if Valve is done with single player games I'll probably be done with Valve. Half-Life 1 & 2 are two of the best games of all time and they're done? Makes ZERO sense. Valve really hasn't made the use of the HL series the way it could have.

As a consumer I am saying that if what Valve says is true I am done buying their games. Simple really.

Multi-player is where the money is, because with their servers controlling the play, piracy is practically eliminated. Too bad, solo-play is more fun. And, Valve has done a most excellent job with it.

I believe this means they will make games more like Left 4 Dead 2, where you have the option to play through solo, but you can also play the campaign online with random people, or with friends.

Meaning in the HL2:EP3 you will probably constantly be accompanied by someone, and we may get to see Mr. Freeman's character model in game, and not just as artwork :p

or i'm wrong. either one.

Well if Valve is done with single player games I'll probably be done with Valve. Half-Life 1 & 2 are two of the best games of all time and they're done? Makes ZERO sense. Valve really hasn't made the use of the HL series the way it could have.

Most companies would kill for IP like Half-Life. Valve on the other hand doesn't even use it!

Personally, I am tired of playing a game by myself-especially when it has been 35 years in single player play only. I prefer and love co-op. Ever since System Shock 2 I wanted most to almost all games to be like such.

I seriously doubt it. Not everyone can do online gaming and not everyone wants to. I like multiplayer FPS, however if the game's single player sucks, I don't want it.

This sounds like complete horseshit. Doesn't even make any sense. I'll believe it when I hear it straight from Valve.

What they are referring to I believe, is the end of the network free game. Game's with required online connectivity are the future.

Most companies would kill for IP like Half-Life. Valve on the other hand doesn't even use it!

Exactly...they have one of the best game franchises in history and they have been screwing the pooch for how many years since HL2 Episode 2? They are the ones that said they wanted to get their games to become more like episodes so they could get them out quicker...wtf f*ck have you been eating Gabe?

I have zero interest in multiplayer games anymore.

Similar to DICE's decision to include a single player campaign in their latest games, I'm not interested in single player at all. I would prefer if companies dropped single player and focused on a multiplayer experience. Online gaming is a social experience these days, every device under the sun is practically connected to a network.

Increased focus on multiplayer aspects is a huge plus for me, be it in Co-Op campaigns or all out multiplayer experience only.

Like others have said, if Valve is done with SP I am done with Valve.

Valve uses it, they just don't milk it and release a new HL game every 10 months. I'd much rather have them take their time rather than push out garbage.

This just in:

Gawker Media Website Uses Provocative, Misleading Headline To Drive Website Traffic

Hmm. Can't go to the Kotaku link due to overzealous work firewall. Hopefully this is complete hearsay and BS.

If it isn't, that is incredibly saddening that the company that produced some of, if not the, best single player shooters is calling it quits. Ugh, if this is true it really makes me pessimistic about PC gaming.

It's time for the shooters to die. Time for graphically rich, story rich, adventure games to make a come back.

Where the hell are Robyn and Rand Miller these days? We need them.

Wow, Valve has slowly been losing me & this may be the last nail in the coffin. Sure, multi-player is fun. It logs a lot of hours, but eventually, it gets dull & repetitive. Give me a game with some meat. Not everyone wants to run around competing all day for fun.

My only hope is that they are offering a multi-player portion along with all of their single player games.

I'll reiterate -> Valve is not saying they are discontinuing their franchises and respective stories, they are most likely just going to make those game online dependent, which will be the trend for gaming in the next few years.

Offline single player is going to be phased out.

Oh well. Thank you Valve for some great games but I wont be buying any more.

So yes, Half-Life: Episode 3 will still be released, but it will incorporate some form of online connectivity. This is still a new area of gaming, for example Assassin's Creed: Brother hood has the online dependent investment market. Gabe doesn't know what the idea(s) will be for Valve's games, but most likley something similar for game economies, and there will be new, not thought of ideas as well.

As a consumer I am saying that if what Valve says is true I am done buying their games. Simple really.

Ditto. Due to real life constraints, I have limited time for gaming. When I do actually have time to play, I want to play and not have to deal with any coordination issues.

For those that didn't read it, the quote that started all this off is: "Portal 2 will probably be Valve's last game with an isolated single-player experience," *Isolated* being the key word there.

I only play games that I can play alone, but many of them are playable with others. I just decline to do so. L4D, Borderlands, most of the RTS games I have, are all single player games for me, but they're also playable with someone else.

I've grouped with too many people that just ruined the games for me, so I no longer even try. Don't want to try, don't care. I've been playing computer games since the 80s and it's a hobby I enjoy. Why ruin it?

Even Half Life 2 could be converted to this type of play. Alyx or her pet robot Dog were part of the group at least some of the time. They can just make it so that you always have a companion.

For me, it's not a huge deal. They'll continue to try to get me to play their games onlines with others, and I'll continue to play them alone. Multi-player only games are avoided. Yes, I've played MMOs, too. For years, in fact, but I no longer even play those. Every time I pick up a new one, I play a while until I get bored, which tends to happen quickly, or the community is so bad that I just leave. This happens surprisingly often. The vitriol present in so many communities is not worth my time.

I only play games that I can play alone, but many of them are playable with others. I just decline to do so. L4D, Borderlands, most of the RTS games I have, are all single player games for me, but they're also playable with someone else.

I've grouped with too many people that just ruined the games for me, so I no longer even try. Don't want to try, don't care. I've been playing computer games since the 80s and it's a hobby I enjoy. Why ruin it?

Even Half Life 2 could be converted to this type of play. Alyx or her pet robot Dog were part of the group at least some of the time. They can just make it so that you always have a companion.

For me, it's not a huge deal. They'll continue to try to get me to play their games onlines with others, and I'll continue to play them alone. Multi-player only games are avoided. Yes, I've played MMOs, too. For years, in fact, but I no longer even play those. Every time I pick up a new one, I play a while until I get bored, which tends to happen quickly, or the community is so bad that I just leave. This happens surprisingly often. The vitriol present in so many communities is not worth my time.

100% agreement.

Jumping the gun a bit here, aren't we guy?

I dont play online games ever. That might change if they allow you to use cheats without getting banned (how likely is that). I realise that would ruin it for most people playing online which is why I dont play online games. Like Portal 2. There is 8 hours of single-player game there. Even for someone like me its 10-12 hours at most and definitely not worth buying at full price.

If there not much single-player/offline then theres no point in me buying it. Valve has always been one of the few companies that seemed to care about the plot & atmosphere as much as how something looks. I know that is the way the games market seems to be changing but thats really a shame that Valve is going with the cheap and lazy option.

Been buying most of my games of D2D lately; it isn't funny Valve would even consider phasing out single player games.

I dont play online games ever. That might change if they allow you to use cheats without getting banned (how likely is that). I realise that would ruin it for most people playing online which is why I dont play online games. Like Portal 2. There is 8 hours of single-player game there. Even for someone like me its 10-12 hours at most and definitely not worth buying at full price.

If there not much single-player/offline then theres no point in me buying it. Valve has always been one of the few companies that seemed to care about the plot & atmosphere as much as how something looks. I know that is the way the games market seems to be changing but thats really a shame that Valve is going with the cheap and lazy option.

I'm not judging how you play. I'm referring to your ultimatum to Valve before we get the facts.

I'm not judging how you play. I'm referring to your ultimatum to Valve before we get the facts.

Oops.. guilty :)

Portal 2 was a bit of a disappointment (as so many games are these days) and so I think I tend to expect the worst.

The game industry is losing its focus. Even ignoring the consolization of a lot of PC games, they seem to be sticking to tried and tested formulas instead of doing something a bit different. They are businesses after all I guess.

Back