Valve Offers Refund for GTA IV

"Yesterday we (and just about everyone else) reported that the PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV was, in a word, broken. Not broken as in “oh, the gameplay doesn’t transfer to the PC”, but rather broken as in “…hey, why aren’t you booting?”. It has gotten so bad that Valve, the company that owns Steam, is offering refunds to those who bought the game over their service."

http://www.bingegamer.net/2008/valv...ckstar-acknowledges-small-number-of-problems/

I'm looking at all 12 games offered by Rockstar on steam.

Of them, 3 don't work at all on newer machines (Grand Theft Auto, GTA 2, Wild Metal), 3 refuse to load on vista or 64 bit os's (Max Payne, Manhunt, Midnight Club 2), the latest 2 games released are completely broken, non-working POS (Bully, Grand Theft Auto 4), and the rest are buggy but playable (Max Payne 2, Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, San Andreas).

Out of 12 rockstar games only 4 truly work right, and even then are buggy.

Why do pc gamers continue to buy shitty rockstar ports?

Of them, 3 don't work at all on newer machines (Grand Theft Auto, GTA 2, Wild Metal), 3 refuse to load on vista or 64 bit os's (Max Payne, Manhunt, Midnight Club 2), the latest 2 games released are completely broken, non-working POS (Bully, Grand Theft Auto 4), and the rest are buggy but playable (Max Payne 2, Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, San Andreas).

GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas, Max Payne 1 and 2, work perfectly on my Vista x64 (not through Steam), so there are other factors if you cannot get them to work for you.

I don't have the other games to try them out though.

Vice city does not work perfectly, the inverted mouse sensitivity problem is there and will never be fixed.
SA worked fine for me though, never an issue there.

I did mention gta 3, vc, and sa working did I not? ;)

Max Payne 1 CAN work, but sound won't work right. For most people, Max Payne 1 wouldn't work at all.

I looked through many of the "bugs" with GTA4 and a great many of them are because people havnt updated their OS, installed service packs, havnt installed things like the latest version of DX or releases of visual C++ redists etc etc

Most of rockstars older games were never designed to work on vista but you can cope with most of them if you run in compatability mode.

I've been running GTA4 on Vista x64 through steam with zero problems other than 1 crash after I installed it, 30 seconds of googling gave me a list of error codes and I found out I had to restart thats all.

Running GTA4 in Steam on Vista64 - installed and started up just fine. I have to use AutoHotKeys to get my prefered controlls to work, and i have gotten 3 or 4 crashes to desktop in about as many hours of play. Certainly needs some serious patching, but it's nothing really show-stopping here.

BTW - the steam version will auto-patch when any patches are released, right? anyone know for sure? not sure how to tell what version my copy is on.

running it on XP 64, had no technical issues.
My only complaint with the game is the stupid anti-aliasing and the shadows.

Anti-aliasing never bothered me before. 90% of the time I just disable it in games because I don't notice the difference. I read people whining about it on various boards but figured they were the usual idiots until I ran it myself. It's really bad.

Same goes for shadows. Black specs everywhere.

Them Rockstar(s) seem to be quite the team...:eek:
ecstatic.gif

Damn, you know you fucked up when you have to offer a refund because your game is so fubar'd.

I looked through many of the "bugs" with GTA4 and a great many of them are because people havnt updated their OS, installed service packs, havnt installed things like the latest version of DX or releases of visual C++ redists etc etc

Shouldn't the game come with the newest DX updates and C++ redist to install before the game installation like it would if you bought the disc. Its so nice to hear that they are now even taking more steps backwards then and now trying to place blame on the players and not the developers.

all of the rockstar pack games work for me except for manhunt and midnight club 2. its all on the gateway in my sig. i was kinda looking forward to playing manhunt but i'm not gonna install XP just to play one game. oh well.

Valve offering a refund for any game, that is a testament to how messed up GTA IV is on the PC.

Shouldn't the game come with the newest DX updates and C++ redist to install before the game installation like it would if you bought the disc. Its so nice to hear that they are now even taking more steps backwards then and now trying to place blame on the players and not the developers.

it comes with the dx updates , c++ redist, dot.net update

The first time I installed it , I got a black 'dos' box screen and it dissapeared again, nog error.
but that could have been cause by multiple reasons; I had SP2 beta for vista x64 installed, had multiple versions of C++ redists (x86 and 64bit versions...) so yeah, could having todo with it.

so I reinstalled my computer (had too many trashy applications anyway)
and reinstalled gta also, after installation, I started it and I got an d3d10... erorr.
but I had to go , and shutdown my computer. Next day I booted my computer and tried it again , and bling bling it worked. Afterwards when I read the list with errors, it said that with most d3d10 errors you just have to reboot your computer.

Now it would be nice from rockstar to let the user know, that after installation, he needs to reboot the computer first because of the updates, before he can play

It does come with some of them things although I suspect users may have cancled the install or chose not to, or ran the installer without high enough permissions which may stop the install of some of those things.

Ideally they should be supplied for convenience but I wouldn't fault them for not supplying them, it's not their responsability to ensure your PC is patched with all the latest updates, for other things like windows service packs its just not realistic for them to attach a 700mb update to their game and force people to install it when they might not want it.

Now it would be nice from rockstar to let the user know, that after installation, he needs to reboot the computer first because of the updates, before he can play

This is just about all I can fault them for so far, I suspect there are several problems that are so far unfixable or not honestly due to user error, but I doubt these issues are far reaching as people are making out, for example look through this thread of the common issues and you'll see most of them are because the prequesites need installing/updating.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762088

Game is working fine for me and running smoothly.

Not one crash in over 6 hours play.

After reading the GTAForums it nearly put me off the game but I'm glad I bought a copy in the end.

Retail copy here, not Steam.

I did mention gta 3, vc, and sa working did I not? ;)

Max Payne 1 CAN work, but sound won't work right. For most people, Max Payne 1 wouldn't work at all.
Max Payne 1 and 2 will work fine on Vista if you install the user made audio fix.

I heard GTA IV was originally called Big Rigs 2, but they did a last minute name change to increase sales :D

if you want a refund for anything through steam you need to constantly tell them that you will charge back through your credit card company. It will take about 5 or 6 email replies to them but sooner or later they will issue it because they do not want charge backs.

Back