Valve Offering Earth:Year 2066 Refunds

HardOCP News

[H] News
Valve is handing out refunds to those of you that paid for early access to Earth:Year 2066. You have until May 19th to request a refund.

On Steam, developers make their own decisions about promotion, features, pricing and publication. However, Steam does require honesty from developers in the marketing of their games. We have removed Earth: Year 2066 from Early Access on Steam. Customers who purchased the game will be able to get a refund on the store page until Monday May 19th.

Well at least we know that Valve is listening to customer feedback. I think it's awesome that Early Access games are available on Steam and at the same time the community can vote to have them removed if they aren't competent.

Why the hell didn't they do this shit for X Stillbirth? 6 months out and its still broken as hell. give me my refund for that POS!

Why the hell didn't they do this shit for X Stillbirth? 6 months out and its still broken as hell. give me my refund for that POS!

What the community did was go to the Steam Store page for the product and report it. Also they made threads about the game explaining how broken it was. Many threads were closed though because it was deemed to be the usual trolling. Clicking the report button on the storefront page of the title seemed to have awakened the brass at Valve.

Try that. :)

They will do this with a game I have never heard of, yet when everyone is raising hell over X-Rebirth suddenly Valve won't do a damn thing.

Greenlight probably the worst thing to happen to steam. The marketplace is next. Steam use to be great. But I can't call it the best anymore :(

To some degree yes , Greenlight has been bad. But we've gotten some decent games (however tons of trash as well) from it.

I think Valve needs to either hire a team to evaluate more intensely the games they "Greenlight" or they need to dismantle the program before they cause a 1982 Atari saturation that hurts the industry permanently.

If you looked at minecraft, it was pretty bad. I think its hard to tell for a company like valve if a game that is horrible is going to fail and leave a scare or blow up and become a cult classic. That is what greenlight does, it says well its up to you as a community but don't blame us if the next great game is missed. I am sure their are plenty of non indy games that valve allows and vets out themselves.

The only real solution is for people to stop buying into early access and pre orders. Greenlight isn't the problem. If you actually waited for reviews and comments on forums this stuff would be obvious and video game developers would realize they cant screw around and release total garbage.

Too many Early access games that are in alpha hardly look like they will ever make it to beta or beyond. Most of them have major flaws in graphics, stuff that shouldn't be happening in modern game design. Clipping of sprites and meshes is rampant.

Recently, the Steam store new games list has been flooded with games that look like button-mashing Farmville knock-offs. Then there are the fish games. I wonder if all of these games support in-game purchases or a ridiculous amount of add-ons like Train Simulator 2014...

I'm disappointed in Steam.

Greenlight probably the worst thing to happen to steam. The marketplace is next. Steam use to be great. But I can't call it the best anymore :(

Greenlight's days are numbered. Newell stated a few months ago ""Our goal is to make Greenlight go away. Not because it's not useful, but because we're evolving."

As for whether Steam is "teh bestest" - if not Steam then I'd love to know what is. Origin? GOG? Lol. Okay. None of the other significant distro platforms even experiment with this stuff.

Greenlight's days are numbered. Newell stated a few months ago ""Our goal is to make Greenlight go away. Not because it's not useful, but because we're evolving."

Yeah, so far their "evolution" has been to allow whoever to post whatever back-catalog shit and/or completely broken alpha titles on Steam with little to no recourse or QA on Steam's end.

As for whether Steam is "teh bestest" - if not Steam then I'd love to know what is. Origin? GOG? Lol. Okay. None of the other significant distro platforms even experiment with this stuff.
There's also Desura, but that hosts mostly indie games and I don't think it has the network or reputation like Valve has in the gaming industry. That and Desura's software client needs work.

Rekoil is another game that Valve should refund. Seems the devs bailed, took the money and ran.

Just saw this posted on another site, I had no idea what was going on until I watched this. OMG, the developer really porked the pooch on this one! Glad Steam is offering refunds on this one, glad I also didn't buy this "steam"ing turd. :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWIkNRcS5mM

Yeah, wasn't the video crazy? I've seen devs/studios censor crap before but this was pretty wild. Crap like this never seems to go over well. :eek:

The real issue here is that Valve needs to put more effort into QA before this shit gets on Steam. I mean, they have to be rolling in money...I think they can afford at least a cursory glance at titles before they are put up for sale. Rather than their current modus operandi, which is to bury their head in the sand (or in this case, probably piles of cash) and only take action when the outcries of angry gamers are absolutely overwhelming (in the case of this title and WarZ). This situation should have been avoided in the first place.

Its called boxed retail games. They are the best. Steam games cannot be re-sold so its a big rip off to the consumer. When i pay 60 dollars for a game and dont like it i should be able to sell it to recoup some of my losses. Game devs dont deserve 60 dollars for a game i played for 10 minutes and hated.

Back