Valve made $750 million last year?

Whach

[H]ard|Gawd
Money bags valve. doh...$730 mil not 750. If this is true, I don't see an incentive for them to make games, other than if they merely feel like it =/

Last edited:
There was a youtube video explaining that half life 3 (based on an inside source) is basically a 10 man team right now and will unlikely fully develop into a game unless they really need the revenue which is unlikely anytime soon. Right now microtransaction games like CS:GO, DOTA 2, TF are making tons of money as well as steam itself.

There was a youtube video explaining that half life 3 (based on an inside source) is basically a 10 man team right now and will unlikely fully develop into a game unless they really need the revenue which is unlikely anytime soon. Right now microtransaction games like CS:GO, DOTA 2, TF are making tons of money as well as steam itself.
That's a HL3 rumor I believe. Another Valve developer recently said that HL3's story would be based on what the engine can deliver.

That tells me that they are still trying to figure how to to design story elements around the Source 2 engine which would be a good task for 10 people. I also agree that Valve has basically zero motivation to make HL3.

At least it was confirmed DNF was in development :D

Valve distributes games that other people develop to support their game development habit, in much the same way that convenience stores sell groceries to support their gas selling habit.

$750mil seems low to be honest.

what would be more interesting to see would be their Internet and CDN bill annually. Since as of a couple years ago Steam was responsible for the 4th most amount of Internet traffic, and at the rare they've been growing it may be even more these days. gotta be in the millions.

Didnt they make a billion a year or two ago? Ive smoked a lot of crack since then so I could be wrong.

Either way, 750 million is a pretty good showing. Anytime there is an example of the money to be made in the PC gaming segment, its a good thing.

is that revenue or profit?

Profit from what is written. Then again, for a privately held company, they aren't required to make it known. Either way, they are minting money with Steam. And they can afford to fart around with Steam box, controllers etc.

is that revenue or profit?

Profit from what is written. Then again, for a privately held company, they aren't required to make it known. Either way, they are minting money with Steam. And they can afford to fart around with Steam box, controllers etc.

The source specifically states "revenue." Also if you look at how they calculated Steam numbers it was a straight 30% off of an estimated 1.1B in third-party Steam sales.

Didnt they make a billion a year or two ago? Ive smoked a lot of crack since then so I could be wrong.

Either way, 750 million is a pretty good showing. Anytime there is an example of the money to be made in the PC gaming segment, its a good thing.

That depends on how you look at it. This data is not going to show that the money in PC gaming is with more PC focused "AAA" games which is the segment people are actually referring to with the "PC gaming is dying" commentary. It actually shows that money is in distribution (would encourage more parties to leverage existing IP to launch their own distribution platforms) and mainstream oriented games with micro-transactions. The latter is actually already known and where the actual majority revenue growth in PC gaming has been coming from. The former is also known not just from Steam but just by looking at Apple and Google's distribution platforms. Will not be a surprise if another major OS maker starts to make a huge push with its distribution platform.

There was a youtube video explaining that half life 3 (based on an inside source) is basically a 10 man team right now and will unlikely fully develop into a game unless they really need the revenue

I don't even think that is the case. Valve is a interesting company. I remember from that leaked employee handbook, it's virtually up to the developers themselves. If enough people wanted to make it INSIDE of Valve it would get made. But the fact that Valve hates the number 3 I doubt we'll ever see a Source 3 engine, L4D3, Team Fortress 3, Half Life 3, Portal 3... none of those will happen. I wouldn't be surprised it they jumped head-on into VR if it turns out to be huge.

They have Dota, CS, and TF. They are set. The market is demanding low resource F2P games. Not AAA titles that tax hardware and are interactive movies. Then add on their distribution/social network and it is a gold mine.

Blizzard and Valve have it figured out.

Valve's flat management structure and "work on whatever you feel like" business practice can only happen because of how much money they make. They can afford people working on things that result in nothing and stopping/starting projects on a whim. If they actually needed game revenue HL3 would of been released years ago.

Yeah, that might be a reason why they don't release HL3... hey all, let's stop using steam and light a fire under Valve's ass to get things done!!!!

With Refunds it probably will be lower that is good money though I'm sure they grossed more.

The source specifically states "revenue." Also if you look at how they calculated Steam numbers it was a straight 30% off of an estimated 1.1B in third-party Steam sales.

That depends on how you look at it. This data is not going to show that the money in PC gaming is with more PC focused "AAA" games which is the segment people are actually referring to with the "PC gaming is dying" commentary. It actually shows that money is in distribution (would encourage more parties to leverage existing IP to launch their own distribution platforms) and mainstream oriented games with micro-transactions. The latter is actually already known and where the actual majority revenue growth in PC gaming has been coming from. The former is also known not just from Steam but just by looking at Apple and Google's distribution platforms. Will not be a surprise if another major OS maker starts to make a huge push with its distribution platform.

730mil in revenue aint much, doesn't mean much until we see the profit numbers. profit means they stay in business.

Back