Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV

HardOCP News

[H] News
Steam coming to a TV near you?

Valve announces their plans for this week's Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, CA, indicating they have ambitions for their Steam content delivery service to make its mark in the coveted living room space. They reveal an upcoming "big picture" mode, "which will offer controller support and navigation designed for television interaction," saying this: "will enable gamers to enjoy Steam and their library of Steam games on more screens throughout the house."

Awesome. I'm sure a lot of the die-hard HTPC folk will really appreciate this.

Valve - 1
OnLive - 0

Sounds good, like the eleventy-billion other products that wanted to do the same thing..

The key is hardware support. Support the hardware that people have and don't try to force one thing or the other and it will work. Otherwise it is just a massive waste of time.

As for providing support for more screens, Valve please make the Steam client more touch friendly.

Steam is trying to become the premier digital media delivery system. They started off with games on the net with a very future friendly crowd (gamers) and now can sort of try and adapt to the general population. I think we will see success.

Steam should buy Blockbuster.

Why?

Valve already has a perfectly good delivery system online, and they just need the hardware manufacturers to incorporate PC hardware into the TV, which is where I see a couple of problems, like how are you going to cram a decent spec PC inside a TV, and what about the new games coming out?

How about I just stick to upgrading my PC, and hook it up to the TV.

Great, but more fuel for the ISP's to bitch about and how precious bandwidth is...

I don't see where you guys are getting an idea of a dedicated hardware box like onlive from...sounds like just a new gamepad ui.

Bringing the steam experience to the couch hmmm...could be interesting. Onlive is kicking off and this would be another cool idea for PC type gamers.

I wonder if it would alow us to access games we already own from Steam?

I don't see where you guys are getting an idea of a dedicated hardware box like onlive from...sounds like just a new gamepad ui.

This is the way I read it as well. I already run Steam games on my HTPC, and I can see the appeal of making some games and the interface gamepad friendly.

exactly, i think this is for htpc users and others who have their pc connected to their tv.

actually, buying blockbuster would be a good thing for them. If they buy blockbuster, then they end up with all the licenses that blockbuster has to all of their movies, and with their already stable delivery system for all the media they have, it would be a absolute win. "We provide GAMES AND MOVIES"

ummm read closer people :)

"With big picture mode, gaming opportunities for Steam partners and customers become possible via PCs and Macs on any TV or computer display in the house."

VIA PCs and Macs on any TV or computer display

I for one love it since I like many, have my HTPC's built for gaming :) I just wich I didn't have to rely on Xpadder for older games to map my 360 controller.

For those who bitch and complain about Games ona HTPC and how FPS should be played ona keyboard and mouse kiss my @$$ lol I play with what I like when I like, sometimes I'll whip out the keyboard and mouse sometimes I use the 360 controller. Thats the beauty of PC gaming we can do so much more the way we want to (well within restrictions of DRM lmao)

Many media center users have been begging for a full screen Steam interface for a while! I thought about setting up Hyperspin somehow for PC Games to launch them from there.

Why?

Valve already has a perfectly good delivery system online, and they just need the hardware manufacturers to incorporate PC hardware into the TV, which is where I see a couple of problems, like how are you going to cram a decent spec PC inside a TV, and what about the new games coming out?

How about I just stick to upgrading my PC, and hook it up to the TV.

No they need the production companies and rights holders to play ball, and not want valve to pay many times more for streaming content than renting dvds cost.

valve please redo the client and make it more light weight...... I love steam but it always feels clunky and bloated.

Is there anything Steam can't do?

Release a GUI update that improves things???

Seriously the new downloads pages scheme of black progress bars on a black background wasnt very clever...Added to that taking the library sections (games, downloads, media, tools) and turning them into a dropdown menu pissed me off...

From a while back now the skinning has been broken, and still doesn't include all the elements in a simple way (or even include all the elements...)

The downloader itself is pretty borken, with inflated download speeds, weird time calculations, and problems when downloading more than 1 file at a time (1mb/s connection, 2 files, so you'd think 500kb/s each? No more like 10 seconds of 1mb/s for first file, 10 second pause, 10 seconds for other file) but it gets the job done.

Still its the best DL/game service :D

totally should do this, basically make the PC able to compete with console, + not to mention it would probably branch out into apps so you could have a "console" that plays your games and does your tax ;)

totally should do this, basically make the PC able to compete with console, + not to mention it would probably branch out into apps so you could have a "console" that plays your games and does your tax ;)

Like the Dreamcast with Windows installed on it:rolleyes:

yeh back when computers weren't so user friendly and people did not have much experience with them :rolleyes:

GUIs have come a LONG way

Back