Valve Is Hiring

Hiring electronic engineers, to be more specific.

INC STEAM CONSOLE!!!

Holy crap, that firmware engineering job looks tasty! I wonder where these jobs are located?

Hmmm.... If I wasn't having such a great time at my current job I would apply.
I wonder how many statistician/economist/software developers there are?

Electronics Engineer position sounds sexy, but I don't have enough experience. :(

If I am Steam, I couple the console with HL3 as an exclusive :D

They need an economist? First I have seen in the game industry.

I would be all over that Sys. Eng position if not for the volatile market of gaming. Seems like game industries lay off peeps left and right.

If I am Steam, I couple the console with HL3 as an exclusive :D

shit_just_got_real_by_dbzsgtjustin-d4ge0j2.jpg

I would apply for 3d character artist but I dont want to move.

Besides I am happy working where I am when we are not making stuff for crap apple products.

INC STEAM CONSOLE!!!

And mechanical engineers, and firmware engineers, and digital audio engineers. Also, if you look at the EE position, it mentions HDL/FPGA experience. All these indicate a console of some sort.

IT'S REALLY HAPPENING!

I'd apply for statistician (or economist as a backup), except Washington is too cold for me.

INC STEAM CONSOLE!!!

You don't hare a single electronic engineer to design a console. You need a huge multidisciplinary team. You'd probably need a whole team just doing the PCB layout.

Psychologist and economist? Valve is actually planning to buy a small Pacific island nation to build their fortress of hats for future projects and to assure of no leaks.

I always check the Bilingual Support listing, but they never need anyone who speaks Spanish, Italian, and French. I can speak German, but its very spotty.

SteamStream, streamed gaming that can run off a $50 console, no harddisk, no fancy vidcard, everything handled by steam servers. :D

You don't hare a single electronic engineer to design a console. You need a huge multidisciplinary team. You'd probably need a whole team just doing the PCB layout.

Didn't list how many they are looking for, just that they are looking to fill these positions. When we open a new branch we put out one ad for a MSR, but hire enough to staff the branch... just saying.

Hmm... I like that name, catchy.

"Ladies and gentlemen... I give you..." *que music* "...TEH STEAMBOX!!!"

*Steambox ascends up from underneath a stage in-front of a ginormous jumbotron w/ steam spewing out*

:eek::p:D

Hmm, they've got Mechanical Engineer on that? Interesting, that might point toward something like a console, the only thing I could imagine needing a Mech Eng person for is things like the heat and cooling sort of stuff.

Just amazing how much truth there is to this.
Except that Steam isn't a game console. Whatever Valve is cooking up, it isn't going to be a genuine console.

What Sony and Microsoft did was take popular PC games and move them over to their consoles. In the process, completely divorcing the PC.

Steam on the other hand is just a service and Valve doesn't really care what platform they sell their games on, so long as there's sales.

We all know that what Valve is doing is creating a HTPC like PC with console properties. Unlike Xbox 360 and PS3 which are consoles with PC like properties. Which means the Steam box will likely upgradable, flexible, and using PC components. Unlike Xbox 720 which will likely use an ARM cpu soldered into place, and the PS3 which will use a AMD fusion chip soldered into place.

I think there might be some kind of partnership with APPLE.Good lord that might be good news.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/13/apple-ceo-tim-cook-visits-headquarters-of-video-game-firm-valve/
Nothing is ever good from Apple. Apple is most likely concerned about the idea that Valve is creating this Steam machine. Which could likely compete even with Apple products. Apple has their own ecosystem which majority of their sales come from games. They could see Steam as a real threat. Especially if Valve is going to use a Linux OS to distribute their games, which could create a huge interest in using a free Linux OS.

Looks more like they are getting deeper into Movie and Video Game Visualization and Creation, than a console. Basically more extensive Content Creation including both hardware and software. Things like translating actors movements into game cut-scenes, etc.

So what would "Steam data mining" consist of exactly I wonder? As I see that is one of the job openings, hmmmm.

Back