Valve is Going to Start Shipping Games Again

I'm so tired of this argument. It's absolute nonsense. There is no hyper-inflated expectation of HL3, this is no more than fan-forum self-wound up rhetoric. All HL fans want is closure to a story that's been on a cliffhanger for a decade. HL3 isn't some deity we must revere. It's just a frigging game. Replay it now, it's not even THAT amazing - it has a good story and great physics, came out at a time when this was an explosive combo. It's long been surpassed. HL3 doesn't need to be perfect, just needs to finish its story. Look at AC Origins: great game, great technology, well made. Apply those simple more-than-good-enough principles to HL3 and you have a success in your hands. Enough beating around the bush.

I agree with you and would add another point: Even if the game bombed as bad as DNF it wouldn't affect Valve in the least.

Valve and Gabe have enough money to build half of a Nimitz class aircraft carrier or a good portion of Trumps wall ffs. They could use a fleet of new Rolls-Royce Phantoms as derby cars and pay for it with petty cash. Why would they give a damn about trying to meet years of pent up hyper expectations? My guess its just easier to sit back and watch the money pile up.

i think they're just waiting to release HL3 after 10+ year hiatus, much like the successful hype and game which was Duke Nukem Forever. right? right? anybody with me?...

I agree with you and would add another point: Even if the game bombed as bad as DNF it wouldn't affect Valve in the least.

Valve and Gabe have enough money to build half of a Nimitz class aircraft carrier or a good portion of Trumps wall ffs. They could use a fleet of new Rolls-Royce Phantoms as derby cars and pay for it with petty cash. Why would they give a damn about trying to meet years of pent up hyper expectations? My guess its just easier to sit back and watch the money pile up.

Some people have a burning desire to create and speak to many. Its ok to not have that within you, but money is not the only thing that motivates people, especially once your needs are met.

Some people have a burning desire to create and speak to many. Its ok to not have that within you, but money is not the only thing that motivates people, especially once your needs are met.

Which clearly Valve doesn't have, because what exactly do they create anymore, besides money?

Calling it now, Gaben is waiting for VR to mature so that you can drive Freeman's meat suit in first person

Turn the corner. Look out! Head crab. Wack... wack... and now....

it's a head crab loot box!! Do you want to purchase?

Posts like this always make me laugh. Half Life 3 if announced would fucking blow up the internet, and would most definitely not tank. The people who say they wouldn't play it would cave and play it for sure.

I agree completely. I laugh at these too. On one hand, I understand people saying that. It happens all the time. However, Valve would sooner just not release it than release something disappointing. I was never the biggest Half Life fan, but did enjoy the 2-series decently well, and would be pretty happy to play a third. My happiness in life in no way depends on it, but I can't say I'd be disappointed to see it at all. Definitely an instant buy though if it materialized.

Looks like Valve's new "creativity" is copying Blizzard. Keep your eyes out for HLCraft: Headcrab War, coming soon.

Don't forget CrabCraft. :p

I get the same picture (like they're focusing all their effort on the wrong games) but I hope they prove me wrong in the foreseeable future.

Does this guy just not like money? He could come out with Half-Life 3 and set the price at $200 a copy and it would still sell 100 million copies. Does he not want to make billions of dollars? What is his deal?

Half Life 3 won't happen until we have some major breakthrough in gaming technology. As it stands today, there is so much hype behind that game that it would be impossible, no matter how incredible the team Valve hires, to come anywhere near matching the expectations of the game.
I want it as badly as anyone else, but I gave up on that hope years ago.

Not sure I would agree with that. They just don't want to invest money and time in it as they already get it from Steam not really having to do anything, but realistically that's what investors want. It sure would have been cool if they were to do it but they don't have to given their position in the market. Technology and hardware is there, only things missing are desire and necessity.

Half Life 3 won't happen until we have some major breakthrough in gaming technology. As it stands today, there is so much hype behind that game that it would be impossible, no matter how incredible the team Valve hires, to come anywhere near matching the expectations of the game.
I want it as badly as anyone else, but I gave up on that hope years ago.

I'm not really into this argument. I think they just don't want to create big-budget games for now or complicated games for the moment since financially speaking they are stable with steam. And I am not surprised with "since they are stable with steam, most of their developers they have now are more for maintaining steam rather than creating games". Might be the reason they are starting small. who knows.

Half Life 3 obviously. I'll buy it the moment it becomes available for purchase.

Portal is the other one I'm hoping for another sequel. VR version especially.

I don't care about DoTA and all other multiplayer games.

HL was always overated.. Portal and L4D were much better games.. Funny thing is they bought those games and didn't really make them lol.

Does this guy just not like money? He could come out with Half-Life 3 and set the price at $200 a copy and it would still sell 100 million copies. Does he not want to make billions of dollars? What is his deal?

100 million copies at $200 each? yeah sure

FU gabe, you fat piece of sh*t. Your fan base had been waiting of HL3 for over a decade now, and he'll, I'd be content with EP3 and a proper ending, but no! You leave us in the most dire of positions with no type of conclusion since EP2. You are scum, and you deserve none of the love the community gives you. Instead you've cozzied up to microtractions and charging devs for updates. You are a soul that has no passion and has been lost to greed.

(Takes a deep breath) ...ok...ok.Rant over...

Ok, feel better now?

i think theres a misconstruance here - the expectation is by the devs at valve, & it assuredly exists. they are the ones who feel immense pressure to deliver something monolithic, mind-blowing, & worthy to the legacy that HL & HL2 each created as technological & storytelling milestones in the genre.

That’s still where this argument gets tiring. So they’re afraid they’ll fail. Big whoop, so are millions of people at their high stakes job every day. That is no excuse. If it took me 10 years to deliver a good product at my job... well I would’ve been fired years ago. If they’re waiting for a big technological breakthrough, that’s an acceptance of them letting flashy new tech do the job for them, because they can’t on their own.

I’m starting to think Valve are just not that good a studio anymore, in the context of a gaming market that has become so much more elaborate and high quality. The last of us, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, AC Origins... these are all fantastic games that have nothing to fear from the old Valve reputation. I think what Valve is afraid of at this point is that what they produce won’t measure up against other current games. That, or they’ve become lazy complacent money grabs that only want to keep raking in Steam money. Whichever the case, I think they need to start losing their venerable studio perception already.

They’re just not that good anymore in the context of the many current excellent studios.

Last edited:
oh, dont get me wrong - i find it quite frustrating & frankly obnoxious that everyone at the valve office is essentially passing the buck instead of taking initiative to spearhead an honest & earnest effort towards making HL3 a reality. my explanation for their complacency wasnt meant to excuse them in any capacity. that being said, i dont think theyre outclassed - just intimidated.

when project organization responsibility boils down to personal leadership & is entirely contingent upon an assload of socialization rather than the traditional dev structure of a project lead delegating tasks & keeping everyones nose to the grindstone...well...then everyone focuses on skins for CSGO. or steam bugfixes. or speculative VR work. or a low risk throwaway fucking card game.

That is exactly the opposite of what I was saying. Valve could do anything they please, just because they can. As in create a labor of love project (like making HL3) without the tiniest concern as to how well it performs financially, while appeasing themselves and gamers. My feeling is that they just don't have that drive anymore.

HL was always overated.. Portal and L4D were much better games.. Funny thing is they bought those games and didn't really make them lol.

I always felt like the first one was overrated. Around that time I was playing System Shock 2, Unreal, etc. (same couple of years anyway, would need to look up dates). I just didn't get into it that much. I thought it was cool enough, but it wasn't just this amazing experience to me.

HL2 though, while I preferred Doom 3 and Riddick (similar time frame) overall, I really enjoyed HL2. I think it deserves the praise it got. Maybe not the end-all game of all time, but it was damned good.

HL3? Who knows if, when, good or not... Valve is different now.

Back