Valve Introduces Histogram to Combat Review Bombing

monkeymagick

[H]News
Facing a recent trend of "review-bombing," Valve has launched a histogram feature for each game's page. The histograms will provide a snapshot of review trends of the particular game as certain users are targeting developers who's action they disagree with and putting up negatively reviews not based alone on the game's quality.

Valve explored a few different solutions with one idea being the removal of the Review Score, but changed course due to player demanding for scores in the past. As of now, Valve has chosen to have potential customers put a bit more effort when deciding on a purchase.

You can read the entire blog post at this link.

In short, review bombs make it harder for the Review Score to achieve its goal of accurately representing the likelihood that you'd be happy with your purchase if you bought a game. We thought it would be good to fix that, if we could do it in a way that didn't stop players from being able to voice their opinions.

This has to be about the current bomb in reviews that fallout 4 has gotten because of creation club. Aside from not using any of it, this is also an effective method to users to employ that may actually get the developers attention.

Whilst I understand and appreciate the reasons behind why this has been done, it's not for consumers it's for the publishers. I actually quite like the fact the Internet democratizes consumer opinion, and that I can take a company's business practices into account when spending my money with them. It's hard to boycott a shitty company when they can hide behind sanitized review statistics. If I see a company receiving a shitload of bad reviews then I'll usually read into them a bit more and make my mind up whether or not they're worth my business. For example, I'm pretty pissed with the agenda Blizzard are pushing with Overwatch right now. if I were purchasing it at this point I would have appreciated someone pointing out how self righteous and bitchy they've become before spending my money on the game

Perhaps Valve should give the ability to review publishers/developers as well as the software itself.

This has to be about the current bomb in reviews that fallout 4 has gotten because of creation club. Aside from not using any of it, this is also an effective method to users to employ that may actually get the developers attention.
No, this is actually in response to the Firewatch and Pewdiepie nonsense. The indie clique started bitching about it, their journalist buddies got a hold of it, and put pressure on Valve to do something about it. Now there is a slough of articles from the same clique complaining that Valve is still giving consumers too much power; that their own clique should be the gatekeepers of information given to consumers.

No, this is actually in response to the Firewatch and Pewdiepie nonsense.

This is what happens when game developers decide to take up the mantle of morality police. Blizzard posted a video the other day about combating "toxic" behavior. And they weren't talking about rage quitting. Instead of implementing the ability to just block all chat to save your precious feels they're talking about "disciplining" people. Pewdiepie was a fucking idiot, I think he was the first to admit it, he said a word with highly racist connotation with no racist intent. Stupid silly thing to say, the kind of thing that immature kids say between each other until the real world kicks their teeth in. I don't think he's a racist or a bad guy but he can't keep fucking up on level one shit like that because some virtuous arsehole is going to whip the carpet out from under him. Not that he needs to care I suppose. But either way, stupid stuff like that gives these hippy toe-rags more ammunition.

The world is becoming an increasingly stupid and baby-ish place.

This is what happens when game developers decide to take up the mantle of morality police. Blizzard posted a video the other day about combating "toxic" behavior. And they weren't talking about rage quitting. Instead of implementing the ability to just block all chat to save your precious feels they're talking about "disciplining" people. Pewdiepie was a fucking idiot, I think he was the first to admit it, he said a word with highly racist connotation with no racist intent. Stupid silly thing to say, the kind of thing that immature kids say between each other until the real world kicks their teeth in. I don't think he's a racist or a bad guy but he can't keep fucking up on level one shit like that because some virtuous arsehole is going to whip the carpet out from under him. Not that he needs to care I suppose. But either way, stupid stuff like that gives these hippy toe-rags more ammunition.

The world is becoming an increasingly stupid and baby-ish place.
And the thing is he knew he fucked up because he took down the video almost immediately (by internet standards) and explained why what he did was wrong. The DMCA from the Firewatch developer came days after all that happened in the worst possible way of virtue signaling that could have been done.

Whilst I understand and appreciate the reasons behind why this has been done, it's not for consumers it's for the publishers. I actually quite like the fact the Internet democratizes consumer opinion, and that I can take a company's business practices into account when spending my money with them. It's hard to boycott a shitty company when they can hide behind sanitized review statistics. If I see a company receiving a shitload of bad reviews then I'll usually read into them a bit more and make my mind up whether or not they're worth my business. For example, I'm pretty pissed with the agenda Blizzard are pushing with Overwatch right now. if I were purchasing it at this point I would have appreciated someone pointing out how self righteous and bitchy they've become before spending my money on the game

Perhaps Valve should give the ability to review publishers/developers as well as the software itself.
I agree. This is a legitimate way for consumers to state their opinion of the company. The game isn't devorced from its creator and their shitty practices should be reflected in their products' reviews.

Should be nice if they label important dates like <here is when Multiplayer servers were cut off> or <Here is when the game was released> especially fun when you see the other side of it and developers pimping up their game with "reviews" before anyone can actually buy the game.

More likely it was the review bombing of DotA 2 that triggered this. VALVe fans are upset half-life 3 still isn't out, and they feel this is the only way they can get VALVe's attention.

And the thing is he knew he fucked up because he took down the video almost immediately (by internet standards) and explained why what he did was wrong. The DMCA from the Firewatch developer came days after all that happened in the worst possible way of virtue signaling that could have been done.

Let's not act like this is some kind of one off behavior from him. I can shrug off the Nazi jokes, if that's all that happened. Harder to shrug off somebody yelling n***er, but again if it was a one time thing, I probably could. But when you start adding them up, it becomes something entirely. I have zero dogs in that hunt, but I'm not going to let my kid watch him. And that's entirely his fault.

I'm not going to let my kid watch him. And that's entirely his fault.
So the casual and constant swearing/cursing and many sexual innuendos and references didn't bother you but the guy using a "racial" curse word was too much to allow you kid to watch it?
p0dAsSY.jpg

Back