Valve Index In Stock at 10am PDT 3/9

sc5mu93

Limp Gawd
Do they have USB ports? You can charge the vive wands that way. I’d really prefer AAs, like oculus does, though.
Knuckles have USB-C ports (thank god). Vive wand MicroUSB (ick). Once my kid gets done playing, I will try the phone charger.

MavericK

Zero Cool
Mine showed up today. I'm just using the chargers that came with the Vive wands, since you can disconnect the USB at the charger end and replace the cable. Seems to be working fine.

magoo

[H]F Junkie
I found a FAQs on Steam.
Valve says you can charge the controller using any phone charger that accepts a USB.
The Index controller accepts a "C" , also they recommend the "fast" chargers to well, charge your controller faster.

I put my headset on for the first time last night.
I am totally convinced this is how gaming should be.
Holy fuck, the demos for Half-Life Alex are just jaw dropping.
I am excite.

sc5mu93

Limp Gawd
I found a FAQs on Steam.
Valve says you can charge the controller using any phone charger that accepts a USB.
The Index controller accepts a "C" , also they recommend the "fast" chargers to well, charge your controller faster.

I am excite.
can you view the demos through the headset?

SamuelL421

Limp Gawd
I am excite.

Right there with you, I just got mine setup and it is (finally) everything I hoped VR would be about 5 years ago. I previously had Oculus DK2, Oculus CV1, and Vive with TPCast. For some perspective, the index is as big an improvement over the Vive/CV1 as those two were over the old DK2.

The display and controllers are so damn good. The tracking is also noticeably better than the original Vive and waaayyy better vs the CV1 towers. Cannot wait for HL:A.

MavericK

Zero Cool
So the only thing I don't like so far about the Index controllers is that they seem to be hit or miss whether or not they will calibrate the fingers correctly. At first when I used them I thought one of the controllers was bad because of how wonky the finger tracking was, but then I saw that you have to sort of grip the controllers and then drum your fingers. That seems to work sometimes, but not always. The drumming fingers thing doesn't seem to do that much at all, I generally have to just turn off the controller and try turning it on again with my fingers against it in a different way. Any tips on making this easier? I don't want to have to go through a whole turn off / turn on controller thing every time I want to play VR.

magoo

[H]F Junkie
can you view the demos through the headset?
When you go to the Index home screen in the headset, there are choices for the "Alex" pages.
Demo may have been a poor choice of words, but there are interactive "scenes" from the upcoming game.
An alleyway, a workshop, and one other.
None the less it's all I had hoped. It's like setting foot inside Half Life.

SamuelL421

Limp Gawd
So the only thing I don't like so far about the Index controllers is that they seem to be hit or miss whether or not they will calibrate the fingers correctly. At first when I used them I thought one of the controllers was bad because of how wonky the finger tracking was, but then I saw that you have to sort of grip the controllers and then drum your fingers. That seems to work sometimes, but not always. The drumming fingers thing doesn't seem to do that much at all, I generally have to just turn off the controller and try turning it on again with my fingers against it in a different way. Any tips on making this easier? I don't want to have to go through a whole turn off / turn on controller thing every time I want to play VR.
Try adjusting the position of the strap that goes over your hand on the controllers. The top bit pushes in and has four positions kit snaps to. It’s subtle but it definitely had an effect on the finger tracking for me.

MavericK

Zero Cool
Try adjusting the position of the strap that goes over your hand on the controllers. The top bit pushes in and has four positions kit snaps to. It’s subtle but it definitely had an effect on the finger tracking for me.
Yeah, I've tried doing that but I'm not sure it made a huge difference. I'll keep messing with it - thanks.

Kinda just wish there was a "re-calibrate finger tracking" button somewhere in the UI, rather than having to turn off and turn back on the controller.

sc5mu93

Limp Gawd
When you go to the Index home screen in the headset, there are choices for the "Alex" pages.
Demo may have been a poor choice of words, but there are interactive "scenes" from the upcoming game.
An alleyway, a workshop, and one other.
None the less it's all I had hoped. It's like setting foot inside Half Life.
Ah just read fine print. Need index hmd for preview. Oh well one more day. May call in sick. But not covid sick.

boss6021

Limp Gawd
Ah just read fine print. Need index hmd for preview. Oh well one more day. May call in sick. But not covid sick.
The HMD isn't required, just an Index device. I only have the knuckles and have access to the interactive scenes.

Last edited:

MavericK

Zero Cool
Yea it is looking that way :(.
When they first came back "in stock" on Mar. 9th, it was already showing 3-5 weeks, but I know some folks got them a lot sooner. This far past the date, though, that 8+ week estimate is probably more accurate.

Bees

[H]ard|Gawd
Placed an "order" a couple of hours ago. We'll see how long it takes before they reach out.