Valve Index Controllers with HL:A in Stock on Steam - $279

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Grabbed me a set. Looking forward to giving these a go.

Estimated Delivery: 4-8 Business Days
Includes two Controllers and Half-Life: Alyx.
Requires Vive, Vive Pro, or Valve Index Headset, Base Stations, and PC.

our hands, in VR.
Valve Index Controllers have been designed from the ground up to enable natural input, high fidelity hand presence, and comfort in VR.
Half-Life: Alyx - Appearing in your Steam Library March 2020
Half-Life: Alyx is yours, whether you've had your Valve Index for a while, or are just about to take the plunge. Owners of Valve Index controllers also get Half-Life: Alyx for free.

main_capsule.jpg

Gun skins, SteamVR Home environments, and more
Customers who have purchased Valve Index hardware by the end of 2019 will have access to unique bonuses starting early next year:
  • Explore environments from Half-Life: Alyx in your SteamVR Home space
  • Alternate gun skins to embellish Alyx's arsenal
  • Special Half-Life: Alyx-themed content for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Compatible with Valve Index or HTC Vive Headset + Base Stations.
Valve Index Controllers are compatible with any Headset featuring support for SteamVR Tracking including the Valve Index Headset, HTC Vive Headset, and HTC Vive Pro Headset.

Valve Index Controllers can be used with any Base Stations featuring support for SteamVR Tracking including Valve Index Base Stations, HTC Vive Base Stations, and HTC Vive Pro Base Stations.

Very cool they're selling these separately and including the game. If only tracking system independence was a thing, where HMD and controllers of different brands could be mixed and matched so these controllers could work with a cheap WMR HMD for example.

I think these also work with Pimax HMDs.

FWIW, people with an existing Vive can sell the wands, and then if you were going to buy the game anyway, it's only a $100-125 delta to upgrade to knuckles controllers.

Last edited:
So $279 = €299 I should tell that to my bank.

There is the reason I haven't bought anything on steam in years.

Captures.PNG

we Canadians save 2 dollars on exchange

probably get fucked on shipping though.

I bought the 1079 euro bundle, shipping was "free". Mine came from the Netherlands which is on the opposite end of the continent

Yeah, why didn't they dump all that money into a game they could sell for $60 rather than a game and peripherals they could sell you for $999. o_O
Valve has wanted to get into hardware for a while now. They learned a lot of lessons with Steam machine hardware. This time it seems to be handled a lot better.

I've bought into the Oculus ecosystem. I'm afraid I just don't have the desire to retool, even for what looks pretty cool.

I'd like to hear your impression of it, FrgMstr . See if it's as cool as it appears.

I've bought into the Oculus ecosystem. I'm afraid I just don't have the desire to retool, even for what looks pretty cool.

I'd like to hear your impression of it, FrgMstr . See if it's as cool as it appears.
Looking forward to using the Index controllers in Boneworks and Arizona Sunshine. Especially Super Hot. That game should be a hell of a lot more fun with better controllers.

Your argument would be viable if 50%+ of the millions upon millions of HL fans/gamers would shell out $999 just as quickly (or easily) as $60-90 for one single game.
We already have a thread for the current whining match going on about HL3 and VR. Take you argument there.

Let's stick with the Index controllers for this thread. Some folks are interested in those, and don't care about what you think about HL3 and VR.

Last edited:
Lots of Valve Index controller information here. https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/index/controllers

Games with Index controller support here. https://store.steampowered.com/sale/valve_index_featured_games/
Kyle would you mind sharing your initial impressions and if you feel like it’s a worthwhile upgrade to your standard controllers? I’m on the fence and the wife is going to be a PITA to convince. I’d like to make sure it’s worth my time. No worries if not I know you’re out of the review thing, I’d just like to hear your quick opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kyle would you mind sharing your initial impressions and if you feel like it’s a worthwhile upgrade to your standard controllers? I’m on the fence and the wife is going to be a PITA to convince. I’d like to make sure it’s worth my time. No worries if not I know you’re out of the review thing, I’d just like to hear your quick opinion.
I THINK the Index/knuckles controllers are going to be a huge step in immersion, not that immersion in VR is "low" now. I am sticking with my "VR is going to change the world," mantra.

Edit: Also worth mentioning is that I looked at going full Index configuration, but the current Index HMD will NOT support HTC Vive wireless. I have the HTC wireless on my Vive Pro, and I am not going backwards in terms of having wires strung to my head.

Last edited:
I THINK the Index/knuckles controllers are going to be a huge step in immersion, not that immersion in VR is "low" now. I am sticking with my "VR is going to change the world," mantra.

Edit: Also worth mentioning is that I looked at going full Index configuration, but the current Index HMD will NOT support HTC Vive wireless. I have the HTC wireless on my Vive Pro, and I am not going backwards in terms of having wires strung to my head.
Me too. I don’t have the pro but I’ve done everything else. I’m really hoping they make it more immersive but the controllers strike me as odd looking. I’ll just wait until i see you post something positive(hopefully) about them.
I’m excited for this tech to get pushed forward faster because of this valve announcement.

Just a heads up: without bi-lateral finger tracking it'll be impossible to accurately reproduce the Vanilla Ice gang symbol. Perhaps a software update will fix this though but don't hold your breath, at least not until VI:VR is released

It's just a price thing for me right now, can't justify the $280 for controllers. Looking forward to seeing Kyle's thoughts.

Back