Valve HMD(Index) - May 2019

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by atarumoroboshi18, Mar 29, 2019.

1. MatthewK

MatthewK n00b

2. Pegi

Pegi Limp Gawd

3. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

So total noob in to VR, if I buy just the headset does that include head tracking?

I don't care about controllers or moving around the room, basically want to sit in a chair and use this as a display while playing flying/racing games, and have all the sticks/wheels already

4. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 2[H]4U

The Valve Index uses outside in tracking, so you would have to also purchase the 2 Lighthouse basestations as that is what it uses for HMD tracking. If you are a total VR noob, I’d seriously give the controllers a go though for other things - you don’t necessarily have to go for full roomscale and move all that much to really enjoy other games/applications. Things like Google Earth VR and Universe Sandbox 2 in VR are utterly fantastic, but need the controllers.

5. bobzdar

bobzdar [H]ard|Gawd

If you're sitting, you can get away with a single lighthouse. That makes the index a little more palatable price wise.

6. Bigc208

Bigc208 Limp Gawd

That’s exactly what I use VR for. Have a nice hotas setup. Going to wait a bit and see who comes out on top between the Reverb and the Index for simming. No more preordering shit unseen like with the Rift. By the time that was completely functional it was a year later and 50% cheaper to buy than what the pre-orders were. Also going to wait until the prescription inserts are available.

7. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

Yea I'm done with preorders myself as well.

8. atarumoroboshi18

atarumoroboshi18 n00b

Yep. Gaming companies have absolutely destroyed pre-orders. Never doing that again. Buy it cheaper a year or more later when the bugs have been fixed.

9. LurkerLito

LurkerLito 2[H]4U

H3VR Developer Anton Hand gives his impressions on the new Valve Index Headset. His Devlog on Friday will cover the Controllers :)

10. cyklondx

cyklondx [H]Lite

looked at the pricing, its not worth it.

11. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

12. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Limp Gawd

Steam sending out email's for address verification.
    were getting closer!

Ship date still says June 28, was hoping it would be at my door on the 28th :)

13. LurkerLito

LurkerLito 2[H]4U

Yeah got my Index Controller email saying any shipping changes have to be done by the 14th. So I am hoping it'll ship on the release date of the 15th. :)

14. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 2[H]4U

Ok. Getting psyched for the arrival of the Index. This is next level VR as to design, comfort, sound, controllers and the incoming software to take advantage of it all. The physics in Boneworks is amazing.

15. tryin49

tryin49 n00b

Alright, Boneworks looks pretty fun and I have to say I'm impressed with tracking on all the fingers on this controller. Hope this plays well on other sets because I held off on pre-ordering the Index.

16. reaper12

reaper12 2[H]4U

Does look good, but, funnily enough the Dev on Boneworks prefers the Touch Controllers.

Tags: