Valve have hired another developer to work on Linux graphics drivers.

BulletDust

Supreme [H]ardness
You've gotta tip your hat to Valve, the work they have done bringing gaming to the Linux platform in such a short time is nothing short of impressive. People accuse them of getting sidetracked easily and loosing focus much like Google, but when it comes to Linux and gaming, it's obvious they're pushing things along behind the scenes.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...eloper-to-work-on-linux-graphics-drivers.9306

You've gotta tip your hat to Valve, the work they have done bringing gaming to the Linux platform in such a short time is nothing short of impressive. People accuse them of getting sidetracked easily and loosing focus much like Google, but when it comes to Linux and gaming, it's obvious they're pushing things along behind the scenes.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...eloper-to-work-on-linux-graphics-drivers.9306

Awesome news. I'm glad they're willing to spend some of their piles of cash to help out the Linux movement. They're apparently going to be hiring even more so hopefully there's more good news soon.

They are only interested in maintaining their monopoly over digital distribution of games and Team Fortress hats. The fact is if valve really cared about their users and platform they would clean out the glut of non working steam greenlight trash and mobile ports flooding the market place. On a side note Linux gaming is dead....

They are only interested in maintaining their monopoly over digital distribution of games and Team Fortress hats. The fact is if valve really cared about their users and platform they would clean out the glut of non working steam greenlight trash and mobile ports flooding the market place. On a side note Linux gaming is dead....

The fact remains when they make improvements to Linux it benefits all Linux users not just Steam users. That's the beauty of the platform. They improve stuff like Mesa and LLVM it helps all of us. As for Linux gaming being dead somebody must not have told developers, publishers, Steam, GOG, HumbleStore, etc as more Linux games keep coming out each month.

The fact remains when they make improvements to Linux it benefits all Linux users not just Steam users. That's the beauty of the platform. They improve stuff like Mesa and LLVM it helps all of us. As for Linux gaming being dead somebody must not have told developers, publishers, Steam, GOG, HumbleStore, etc as more Linux games keep coming out each month.
Mobile ports, but I don't really want to troll you guys. This popped up in new posts and I could not help myself. I imagine them developing anything helps a lot, but I am not convinced Linux is anywhere near a viable platform for gaming in the same way MacOS isn't and i would absolutely love to go Apple only, but gaming keeps a Windows desktop in my house.

Mobile ports, but I don't really want to troll you guys. This popped up in new posts and I could not help myself. I imagine them developing anything helps a lot, but I am not convinced Linux is anywhere near a viable platform for gaming in the same way MacOS isn't and i would absolutely love to go Apple only, but gaming keeps a Windows desktop in my house.

If you think Linux only receives only mobile ports you're either trolling or not paying attention. Dying Light, Hitman, Mad Max, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Dirt Rally, etc. Oh I never said that Linux is better for gaming than Windows. Most sane people won't. It is improving every month though. My main issue with Windows is lack of control and lack of privacy. Linux's main issues is it isn't as good for gaming performance and lacks as many games. Each month Linux improves where it is weak while Microsoft does not. Makes the choice easy for me. Linux isn't for everyone but for those of us that use it as our daily driver we love it.

Gaming under Linux isn't dead, what a load of fanboi shit.

I can't believe you honestly think MacOS is a more viable gaming platform than Linux!

I was being tongue in cheek, but seriously it is probably as small as gaming on a Mac.

Apple devices have been a supported product under Steam for far longer than Linux, why do people struggle so much with this obvious fact?!

Furthermore, in the case of Nvidia, as an example, MacOS/OSX doesn't support past the GTX 700 series whereas Linux supports right up to the latest 1080 Ti. MacOS/OSX also doesn't support Vulkan as Apple are too busy arrogantly pushing their Metal API. MacOS/OSX doesn't support SLI at all, Linux does although developer support is non existant, however it's an option for the future - The list goes on.

IMO Apple have given up on their desktop/laptop platform, they now see it as legacy as they're more of a gadget company now. The only device really capable of gaming is the rubbish bin Mac Pro and in AU that's worth over $8000.00 for outdated hardware.

Linux gaming is growing at a steady rate and it's not slowing.

Apple devices have been a supported product under Steam for far longer than Linux, why do people struggle so much with this obvious fact?!

Furthermore, in the case of Nvidia, as an example, MacOS/OSX doesn't support past the GTX 700 series whereas Linux supports right up to the latest 1080 Ti. MacOS/OSX also doesn't support Vulkan as Apple are too busy arrogantly pushing their Metal API. MacOS/OSX doesn't support SLI at all, Linux does although developer support is non existant, however it's an option for the future - The list goes on.

IMO Apple have given up on their desktop/laptop platform, they now see it as legacy as they're more of a gadget company now. The only device really capable of gaming is the rubbish bin Mac Pro and in AU that's worth over $8000.00 for outdated hardware.

Linux gaming is growing at a steady rate and it's not slowing.
Ok not here to argue but Linux gaming is anemic and will be for the foreseeable future. Windows has a pretty hard lock on PC gaming and that is not going to change any time soon. Every platform has it's strengths and weaknesses and that is why all my Mobile devices are Apple and my Desktop is Windows I have used Linux OS in the past and I see Linux dominating in the server space and for many different scientific and business needs but much like Apple it will take a literal miracle for it to become a common platform for gaming.

Ok not here to argue but Linux gaming is anemic and will be for the foreseeable future. Windows has a pretty hard lock on PC gaming and that is not going to change any time soon. Every platform has it's strengths and weaknesses and that is why all my Mobile devices are Apple and my Desktop is Windows I have used Linux OS in the past and I see Linux dominating in the server space and for many different scientific and business needs but much like Apple it will take a literal miracle for it to become a common platform for gaming.

Not particularly profound nor does it shine a light on anything previously unknown. But nervous posts like the above do make me wonder: if the Windows gaming monopoly isn't going to change any time soon and it goes without saying, why sweat Linux enough to have to re-state the obvious? Why sweat Linux at all?

My advice is continue living in your comfort bubble and assume the PC gaming status quo will never change. Complacency and coasting has been working so well for Microsoft in the last decade, as one market after the next has slipped from their grasp or passed them by like they were standing still.

And I'm sure that when the world's biggest digital videogame marketplace and VR spearhead decides to allocate more resources and budget to Linux gaming that it probably means nothing. Best just ignore it.

Last edited:
Not particularly profound nor does it shine a light on anything previously unknown. But nervous posts like the above do make me wonder: if the Windows gaming monopoly isn't going to change any time soon and it goes without saying, why sweat Linux enough to have to re-state the obvious? Why sweat Linux at all?

My advice is continue living in your comfort bubble and assume the PC gaming status quo will never change. Complacency and coasting has been working so well for Microsoft in the last decade, as one market after the next has slipped from their grasp or passed them by like they were standing still.

And I'm sure that when the world's biggest digital videogame marketplace and VR spearhead decides to allocate more resources and budget to Linux gaming that it probably means nothing. Best just ignore it.
Seriously you guys are like a religion -_- I saw a post I made a half hearted joke now I will leave you all alone lol. But in all serious you have to be crazy to think Linux is going to miraculously hit mass market appeal. Microsoft is more Likely to lose out to Chromebooks before that happens. Also Steam machines where a complete failure as well as SteamOS

Seriously you guys are like a religion -_- I saw a post I made a half hearted joke now I will leave you all alone lol. But in all serious you have to be crazy to think Linux is going to miraculously hit mass market appeal. Microsoft is more Likely to lose out to Chromebooks before that happens. Also Steam machines where a complete failure as well as SteamOS

You have to understand, every time we post a positive article relating to Linux we're reminded of Windows and it's supposed stronghold on the PC gaming marketplace. Nine out of ten times the opinion of the pro Windows user is either based largely on misinformed generalisation regarding an OS they have literally no idea about, or they repeat some rhetoric that anyone with two brain cells is already fully aware of, all the while completely ignoring valid and reasonable points of view from the pro Linux crowd.

It gets tiring, it gets frustrating and it makes me grumpy.

Remember, there was a time when a platform using the Motorola 64k processor reigned supreme, the mere thought that the business oriented x86 platform could topple the gaming stronghold of 64k wasn't even considered as the notion was flat out unimaginable. You can guess what happened.

If it happened before, there's nothing to state it can't happen again. Things are changing.

Strip all the crap away from the Windows gaming marketplace and you're left with a couple of half finished AAA titles. Pretty games but the servers usually dry up in ~6 months, even before the teething issues are fully resolved, resulting in a complete waste of hard earned $$. Considering the top 10 games under Steam, which usually vary, Linux quite often runs about 65-70% of the titles listed, ~3 years ago this simply wasn't the case. In fact, ~3 years ago gaming under Linux consisted of a handful of Doom ports/mods and that's about it, now there's over 3000 titles under Steam alone with more available under CoG.com.

As stated, in relation to OSX/macOS Linux is a vastly superior gaming platform with better drivers (especially in the case of Nvidia), Vulkan support, even beta VR support. I see nothing that I would consider anaemic considering the time Windows has been the dominant platform vs the time Linux has grown in relation to gaming thanks mostly to the efforts of Valve.

No one cares a hoot about SteamOS when a full blown Linux distro offers far more versatility.

Last edited:
I was being tongue in cheek, but seriously it is probably as small as gaming on a Mac.

Not for long. One major weakness of the Mac platform is lock in to hardware. Apple doesn't make many units that are capable of AAA gaming. It's a lot of onboard graphics. On Linux, just like Windows, people can custom build systems much easier which allows them to play more intensive games. For instance Mad Max was ported to OS X but according to the Steam hardware survey over 53% of Mac users didn't have a GPU that could run it. The bigger problem is that even if they wanted to their options on Mac for a system that could run it is extremely limited. Linux doesn't have that issue. Don't have a good enough system ? No worries, go buy better hardware.

As stated, in relation to OSX/macOS Linux is a vastly superior gaming platform with better drivers (especially in the case of Nvidia), Vulkan support, even beta VR support. I see nothing that I would consider anaemic considering the time Windows has been the dominant platform vs the time Linux has grown in relation to gaming thanks mostly to the efforts of Valve.

Linux games added to Steam to date since 01/01/2017 - 192

macOS games added to Steam to date since 01/01/2017 - 303

VR games (all Windows currently) added to Steam to date since 01/01/2017 - 208

Windows non-VR games added to Steam to date since 01/01/2017 - 1032

So right now Linux is in 3rd position behind both macOS and Windows in new games being added, total game count and users. Not counting VR titles Windows is current getting five times more games not counting VR. Yes, SteamVR for Linux is in development release, who knows what titles are coming. Right now conventional Linux games aren't even keeping pace with Windows VR.

I don't think this anything that Microsoft is sweating right now. Of course thing can change but not with content numbers like this.

Linux games added to Steam to date since 01/01/2017 - 192

macOS games added to Steam to date since 01/01/2017 - 303

VR games (all Windows currently) added to Steam to date since 01/01/2017 - 208

Windows non-VR games added to Steam to date since 01/01/2017 - 1032

So right now Linux is in 3rd position behind both macOS and Windows in new games being added, total game count and users. Not counting VR titles Windows is current getting five times more games not counting VR. Yes, SteamVR for Linux is in development release, who knows what titles are coming. Right now conventional Linux games aren't even keeping pace with Windows VR.

I don't think this anything that Microsoft is sweating right now. Of course thing can change but not with content numbers like this.

You have to keep in mind were not saying Linux is ahead of Windows for gaming. Were simply conversing about the progress Linux is making. I for one don't care if Windows is overtaken by Linux for games, I just want Linux to keep making progress and get better. I don't care if Windows has more games. I didn't quit Windows because of lack of games but over privacy and control issues. Microsoft adding more games dowsn't make me want to return to Windows.

Microsoft adding more games dowsn't make me want to return to Windows.

And that's fine. Obviously people committed to Linux wouldn't care about Windows gaming and I get that. But for someone who simply wants to play games and isn't concerned about the OS, available games is what defines the platform. It's easy for a Linux gamer to say "Linux has all the games I want to play." There's no way for anyone to define what others want to play.

And that's fine. Obviously people committed to Linux wouldn't care about Windows gaming and I get that. But for someone who simply wants to play games and isn't concerned about the OS, available games is what defines the platform. It's easy for a Linux gamer to say "Linux has all the games I want to play." There's no way for anyone to define what others want to play.

I think that's a mistake many make. Anyone who tries to speak for a platform rather than themselves is just in for a losing fight.

I think that's a mistake many make. Anyone who tries to speak for a platform rather than themselves is just in for a losing fight.

But when it comes to specific uses of a platform the platform is only as good as the support it receives. When people point out the weaknesses in Linux gaming, nobody is sweating anything. Right now of the nearly 300 games I have on Steam, only 60 have native Linux clients and of those most are pretty old. So people who are making silly claims about worrying about Linux becoming a bigger player in gaming. So what if it does? No skin off my back. I'm just going to pretend that a platform that's clearly well behind Windows and really gaining no ground relative to Windows, if not losing ground, is really a viable alternative to gaming for Windows or even close. 220 games that I have that don't have native Linux clients isn't impressive to me. Nor most people who have large game libraries.

If you don't care much about games or will just pick up whatever is available for Linux because you don't want to deal with Windows that's fine. Microsoft will have something to sweat when people like me can easily game on Linux without losing 80% of their game library.

Is he actually daring to crap on about total number of titles under the Windows platform again?!

Such a bizarre argument when you can immediately discount ~65% of those titles as rubbish, ~10% as games you'd download out of curiosity, only ever play a handful of times and never miss at all and ~25% of all those titles games that you actually play and would like to keep! And yet due to his fanboi brain fade he just refuses to accept this fact! Blatant refusal! It's golden!

80% of their game library, but 90% of the time it's highly unlikely! :D

Hang on! If I'm reading your post correctly, that's exactly what you claim regarding Windows!

You claim that Windows has better support, you claim that Windows has more titles and you claim that for that reason Windows is the better OS for yourself and force that view onto other PC users as a blanket statement claiming that everyone thinks exactly like yourself!

The whole time you completely miss the point that the issue is focused solely around the operating system! Windows 10 has glaring issues that are only going to get worse and that is over riding the desire of many to run their previously chosen OS just to play games, forcing many users to accept a handful of losses in most cases and switch to an OS that respects them as users, as individuals with a right to privacy and control with a non Fischer Price OS and switch to Linux! It's got very little to do with the games themselves, it's got everything to do with the Windows and it's magnitude of issues!

Last edited:
Windows is the best OS for PC gaming, period. From the numbers of titles to optimization of those to the support of the latest and greatest hardware. And it's not because Windows is such a wonderful OS or Linux a poor one, it's the overwhelming market share that Windows has in PC.

Windows is the best OS for PC gaming, period. From the numbers of titles to optimization of those to the support of the latest and greatest hardware. And it's not because Windows is such a wonderful OS or Linux a poor one, it's the overwhelming market share that Windows has in PC.

Cheers captain obvious!

The is issue that such an observation has everything to do with time and nothing to do with the OS! Given more time there's nothing to state that Linux won't continue to evolve and improve and equal Windows, in fact advancement may be faster due to hurdles overcome in the many years developing Windows as the dominant gaming platform, we aren't stuck in time here, development is ongoing!

The fact is, gaming aside, that Windows 10 is still fatally flawed and people are accepting a handful of losses to jump ship! The other fact is, you hate that.

The fact is, gaming aside, that Windows 10 is still fatally flawed and people are accepting a handful of losses to jump ship! The other fact is, you hate that.

Hate Linux? LOL! There's a difference between hate and knowing what something's good at and not. And handful of losses? I don't consider thousands of dollars in games alone that don't work natively under Linux "a handful". As fatally flawed as you think Windows 10 is, I didn't have to toss thousands of dollars in games away when using it.

Hate Linux? LOL! There's a difference between hate and knowing what something's good at and not. And handful of losses? I don't consider thousands of dollars in games alone that don't work natively under Linux "a handful". As fatally flawed as you think Windows 10 is, I didn't have to toss thousands of dollars in games away when using it.

No, no...See, you've got it all wrong again!

You're using your experience, your bloated game library and you're projecting that onto the masses as a huge assumption that they have a game library and some insatiable need to game in the same way you do! This, as everyone else knows, is not the way the world works - Furthermore, I would suggest you go and get a life.

Fact once more. Windows has huge flaws and is getting worse. People are sick of the issues surrounding Microsoft and their latest business model and are looking to jump ship. This has noting to do with games or software if the individual is willing to accept certain losses, losses that can be offset by alternate software applications in many scenarios, excluding the minimal number of individuals tied to a product for purely professional reasons. Support is present under Linux and growing at a steady rate, and the OS suffers none of the issues Windows users are currently facing.

And yes, you hate the idea of people shifting away from the Windows platform. You generalise in relation to a desktop OS that I can confidently say you have little to no experience in using and try to palm such comments off as fact.

You're using your experience, your bloated game library ...

What does that even mean? I, like a lot of people around here, have been buying and playing computer games for decades. I've got 15+ year old Windows games that still work under Windows 10. Not that I'd play those much if ever, though I did replay the original Max Payne over Christmas just for giggles. If you look over in 1080 Ti threads, you see people chomping at the bit to spend $700 USD on the latest and great video card. Over the years, people like this has just spent a lot of money this hobby because we enjoy it and have for a long time.

If you don't get any joy from gaming then sure, it means nothing to you.

What does that even mean? I, like a lot of people around here, have been buying and playing computer games for decades. I've got 15+ year old Windows games that still work under Windows 10. Not that I'd play those much if ever, though I did replay the original Max Payne over Christmas just for giggles. If you look over in 1080 Ti threads, you see people chomping at the bit to spend $700 USD on the latest and great video card. Over the years, people like this has just spent a lot of money this hobby because we enjoy it and have for a long time.

If you don't get any joy from gaming then sure, it means nothing to you.

What does it even mean?! What are you on?

You have no idea what people prioritise in relation to their PC usage, everything you so proudly claim is no more than a gross generalisation based solely around your experience with a PC and you project that onto others - It's vastly simple, not difficult to understand in the slightest. Linux users can buy 1080 Ti's also, they also see a performance improvement, the fact you keep highlighting the 1080 Ti makes you look like an idiot.

Unless you really do want to be viewed as stupid, quit with the fanboi brain fade act.

You have no idea what people prioritise in relation to their PC usage, everything you so proudly claim is no more than a gross generalisation based solely around your experience with a PC and you project that onto others

People who buy $700 video cards place an importance on gaming. And there's a lot around here that do that sort of thing. I don't get why you keep mentioning me personally. I invite you to read some of the threads on games or video cards or VR around here.

People who buy $700 video cards place an importance on gaming. And there's a lot around here that do that sort of thing. I don't get why you keep mentioning me personally. I invite you to read some of the threads on games or video cards or VR around here.

Or CUDA accelerated applications, real use for an expensive GPU.

However, thanks captain obvious striking again! Just to reiterate, you can game under Linux and a more powerful card will not go to waste considering VR under Linux and it's ongoing development.

I mention you personally because you talk personally - Oh my God! Are you really stupid?

Or CUDA accelerated applications, real use for an expensive GPU.

Sure, but again, look at all that's been said about a card like the 1080 Ti and you don't have to be Caption Obvious to know what people are using them for primarily. This review, like dozens of others was ALL about gaming performance: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/03/09/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_video_card_review

However, thanks captain obvious striking again! Just to reiterate, you can game under Linux and a more powerful card will not go to waste considering VR under Linux and it's ongoing development.

I wouldn't recommend that a non-developer spend hundreds of dollars on a VR headset to use exclusively under Linux for gaming at this point. Because for now, yeah, it'd be going to waste.

Sure, but again, look at all that's been said about a card like the 1080 Ti and you don't have to be Caption Obvious to know what people are using them for primarily. This review, like dozens of others was ALL about gaming performance: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/03/09/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_video_card_review

I wouldn't recommend that a non-developer spend hundreds of dollars on a VR headset to use exclusively under Linux for gaming at this point. Because for now, yeah, it'd be going to waste.

Once again, a massive generalisation based around a handful of users you waffle to in the video card section of the forums - Furthermore it means nothing, nothing at all! Gaming among the Linux community is naturally a hot topic amongst Linux users at the moment and if they want better performance than what they're currently experiencing than they can upgrade to a 1080Ti no different from Windows users! How can you even argue this fact!

Your opinion relating to VR under Linux is also on my long growing list of "stupidest things Heatlesssun has ever said". What a load of crap!

"You invite me to view threads on VR, gaming or video cards!"

Wow! Once again, a gross generalisation that I don't already browse such topics on the forums!

Thanks for the offer, but I'm fine. [rolleyes]

Once again, a massive generalisation based around a handful of users you waffle to in the video card section of the forums - Furthermore it means nothing, nothing at all! Gaming among the Linux community is naturally a hot topic amongst Linux users at the moment and if they want better performance than what they're currently experiencing than they can upgrade to a 1080Ti no different from Windows users! How can you even argue this fact!

Again, where are the full time Linux gamers buying top line hardware? I never said that Linux gamers can't benefit from this kind of hardware. But apparently not too many of them think that they would.

Your opinion relating to VR under Linux is also on my long growing list of "stupidest things Heatlesssun has ever said". What a load of crap!

Right, there's hardly any VR content for Linux right now. Even Linux folks that say they are interested in VR are waiting for content. LOL!

"You invite me to view threads on VR, gaming or video cards!"

Wow! Once again, a gross generalisation that I don't already browse such topics on the forums!

Thanks for the offer, but I'm fine. [rolleyes]

Generalization of what exactly? I'm simply pointing out that there are lots of people in places like this that spend a great deal of money on gaming. And considering that these cards tend be very hard to get for a month, people must be buying them.

Fanboi brain fade again?

See how you're incapable of logical reason and keep fluffing around with generalised blanket statements? Can you see how you keep doing this?

It makes any discussion you're involved in terribly frustrating. You have no hard evidence on much at all but you just assume flawed opinion like it's fact?!

Downright ridiculous.

It just sucks that you have to set your windows key on fire along with all your previously purchased software in order to run linux. It's like that time I had to throw my Gamecube away because I bought a PS3. /s

LOL! Funny you said this:https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...-when-you-already-have-a-windows-version.9319 Not directly the issue but it can be kind of a big deal if you have to buy content again you already have.

But, depending on the kind of user you are it may very well be worthwhile just to get away from the issues plaguing Windows. Remember [H] forums are PC hardware enthusiast forums, not gaming forums, and PC hardware can be used for a variety of useful purposes.

LOL! Funny you said this:https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...-when-you-already-have-a-windows-version.9319 Not directly the issue but it can be kind of a big deal if you have to buy content again you already have.
I think the article discusses the different aspects of the situation well. Kindofa bummer if it trends, especially for titles that don't have cross platform multiplayer. It would probably hamper adoption a bit going forward.

The point I was getting at (and I guess still applies with that article) is that you still have access to 100% of your gaming library since you would still have a Windows license and access to all those existing games. Whether or not you (general you) cared enough about that to build a Windows solution (dedicated box, VM, whathaveyou) is another thing. However, like my SNES, it doesn't stop making games accessible because I'm playing on something else now.

Have you seen any other articles about SteamPlay being discontinued? It's a fascinating development now that Microsoft is starting to copy the concept with the Xbox.

Back