Valve Giving Portal Away FREE

HardOCP News

[H] News
Valve is giving away Portal for FREE until May 24th, so you'd better hurry on over and get your download on! This public service announcement has been bought to you by GLaDOS, cake and the letter [H].

You'd think that, especially since it actually won over 70 Game of the Year Awards. But, like we keep saying, Portal is free. Free on the Mac. Free on the PC. But only until May 24th. So you only have a few days to decide if your free copy of Portal is worth the price we're currently charging - which is you ever-so-slightly moving your index finger just barely enough to click the big red "download" button right there to the left.

Nice, it's an awesome game. Hopefully this means 2 is on the way. :)

I had a alot of fun playing Portal, made me think "outside the box". :D

I wish that Half Life had the talking turrets in it, I thought they were so cute.

I keep getting "steam servers too busy to handle request"

I already have the game, but not on my alternate account :D

Sweet! I have the orange box for 360, but until now I've only been able to play 'First Slice' on PC. Thank you valve, and thank you [H]ard|Forum!

I got it along with Episode 2. It's definitely an awesome game. I can't wait til the 2nd one. The only prob with the first is it was waaaaay too short, I think it took me like 2 hours on my first play through. But it was still sweet. Hopefully the second one will be at least 5 hours or so. I know they had the bonus puzzles that were just re-worked versions of the originals, but I still beat those relatively quick. Anywho, you're retarded if you don't go ahead and download this..

Sweet.. snagged my copy.

They must be getting hammered. It took me like 10 tries before it stopped giving me a 324 error when I clicked on the link in the steam client.

Heard of it but never played it or even seen a demo of it in action. Just watched that short video at the Steam site and thought "Holy crap, that's awesome..." and now I've gone and joined Steam to get it.

Thanks for the info...

thanks Steve!!! I already have Portal when I got Orange Box, but I'm letting my friends know about this! :)

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabe!

Wow. Of course they have their reasons for doing this, but it's still very nice of them.

Awww REally? Dude I got suckered in and actually bought the orange box...dammit valve...

My brother Chris and I both sagged copies. I'd been regretting not buying the Orange box and instead buying Ep 2 only. So now it looks like its all good.

Thank you Steam and [H]!!

WOO free portal! whats not to love?

i needs me some companion cube

LOL, wouldn't the Mac version of Steam going live be bigger news then getting a $20 game for free?

Gratz mac guys, can't wait to pawn you in the battlefield! Where words fail, clubs persist.

Nice, it's an awesome game. Hopefully this means 2 is on the way. :)

It is. They had a pretty clever (and quite screwed up, if you ask me) viral announcement thing going on about 2 months ago... the last clue indicated that more information would be forthcoming during E3. Just a matter of waiting, now. Only... I can't wait for this. Dammit. Put me in statis! ANYTHING!

Interesting. I just got a Steam ad for Torchlight. $10 and it works for both Mac and PC. Is that going to be the standard--both platforms for any purchase?

Interesting. I just got a Steam ad for Torchlight. $10 and it works for both Mac and PC. Is that going to be the standard--both platforms for any purchase?

"Steamplay" only for both platforms, I am going to bet you that Activision is going to be the first to release its titles as Mac or PC only (I think the only COD title that hasn't been released for Mac, besides COD3, is MW2).

"Steamplay" only for both platforms, I am going to bet you that Activision is going to be the first to release its titles as Mac or PC only (I think the only COD title that hasn't been released for Mac, besides COD3, is MW2).
Ah, I missed that new icon. Thanks.

Servers are still getting beaten like a red-headed stepchild. I'll try again later.

awesome game, funny this is for me portal might of well as been free. The orange box was cheap as it is, and I got my entire monies worth out of TF2, portal and all the other games were just free bonus's to me lol.

I downloaded it and played through it for the first time just a little bit ago today. Good game :D

I'm not a Mac guy, but we use them at work, so I downloaded it and tried it out. Runs pretty poorly on the iMacs we have (2.66ghz core 2 duo, 4GB 1066 DDR3, 256MB Geforce 9400) but not enough to keep productivity going down to nothing for an hour ;) I had to run it in at 1024x768 with mostly medium settings to get about 20-25 FPS.

Its only a matter of time before people realize how horrible OSX is as a gaming platform. The only question is will steam continue active development on the platform after it happens.

Free!?!?

imonthemotherfucker.jpg

There's a picture on the Steam blog/news page of the 3 main dudes at Valve in the post about today's release of Steam for OSX. What I found most hilarious about the image is that they're using Dell monitors, and a Microsoft keyboard and mouse, attached to a Mac mini (that's what appears in the image) running OSX. :D

I mean, they could be using a MacPro under the desk out of view but, the sheer fact that they're working on software for OSX using OSX but not any of the peripherals just really got me chuckling...

I'm not a Mac guy, but we use them at work, so I downloaded it and tried it out. Runs pretty poorly on the iMacs we have (2.66ghz core 2 duo, 4GB 1066 DDR3, 256MB Geforce 9400) but not enough to keep productivity going down to nothing for an hour ;) I had to run it in at 1024x768 with mostly medium settings to get about 20-25 FPS.

Portal actually runs extremely well on my system. But I am running with a quad-core 3GHz, 8GB and a GTX260, so it's not too surprising. Played a few levels at 1920x1200 and every setting set to max. Was totally smooth. I'll have to take some screenshots and compare to Portal running under Windows to see if there are many differences.

Downloaded, played it, and beat it... I think. At least I was asked to put the device down and lay on the floor lol

Was there more? I want some cake now.

What I found most hilarious about the image is that they're using Dell monitors, and a Microsoft keyboard and mouse, attached to a Mac mini (that's what appears in the image) running OSX. :D
Yeah, not many Mac users use Apple mice, I've found. I can actually count the number of decent mice Apple's made with two fingers.

My mini came with the Mighty Mouse, but I use an MX518 with it. If I bought a Mac today, I'd probably just use the Magic Mouse, but it certainly takes some getting used to.

Back