Valve are officially Retarded Inc.

lol why do they even bother anymore? Just release the game and call it a leak.. I mean really, I want to meet the idiot who released the text file with that... and why is it in a text file for closed captioning? Can't they embed it or something?

Who cares? This doesn't do shit. Unless you actually read the whole thing, which would be pretty pathetic and a waste of time.

:rolleyes: Uh oh, gotta delay it for another couple years to rewrite all the dialog.

OldPueblo said:
I heard the rights got sold for an upcoming soap opera...

the ingame story or the real-life story?

"mariiaaaa... why did you steal it?! why why why!?"
NO! I STOLE IT!!
"but but!!! you're dead gabe!"
I WAS!

-Anomie- said:
Valve are officially Retarded Inc.
The correct way is "Valve is officially Retarded Inc." Always best to prove that when calling someone something that you are not one yourself.

Torgo said:
The correct way is "Valve is officially Retarded Inc." Always best to prove that when calling someone something that you are not one yourself.

Ah, but there's precedent for seeing groups of people, like teams, companies etc. as plural for grammatical purposes. Seems to be a mostly british thing, though.

HHunt said:
Ah, but there's precedent for seeing groups of people, like teams, companies etc. as plural for grammatical purposes. Seems to be a mostly british thing, though.

Well it sounds stupid in English. :D

-Anomie- said:
These guys are beyond words. After the code "leak" last year, you would think that SOMEONE at Valve would have 1/3rd of a clue:

http://www.hl2world.com/article251.html

When was the last time you made a dumb mistake? I bet you dont have to think very long. Neither do I. People make mistakes, stuff happens and we move along. Name calling doesnt solve anything especially when its not a critical mistake like this.

HHunt said:

Someone got it. A company can't be retarded, however, the individuals that make up said company CAN be retarded. There is more than one employee of Valve, hence the plural "are". ;)

TEMM said:
When was the last time you made a dumb mistake? I bet you dont have to think very long. Neither do I. People make mistakes, stuff happens and we move along. Name calling doesnt solve anything especially when its not a critical mistake like this.

Oh please, when was the last time you made massive game delaying mistakes in a continious sequence. And why the fuck are you comparing valve to your average joe? You should compare them to id and the like, and last I checked id didn't royally fuck up like this on a monthly basis, and when ATI did leak id's code they didn't use it as scapegoat for another delay.

I think I'm going to start a petition asking Carmack to buy Valve.

-Anomie- said:
Someone got it. A company can't be retarded, however, the individuals that make up said company CAN be retarded. There is more than one employee of Valve, hence the plural "are". ;)
Exactly.

They (Valve) are ...

-Anomie- said:
Exactly.

Also, "For a leaky company, look at Valve. They are seemingly unable to keep things secret,"

edit: ARGHDIEDIEDIE, That's the second "quote instead of edit" today, and I can't even delete this post to fix it.

Valve is a singular entity containing multiple employees. Valve IS retarded, would be correct. The employees of Valve ARE retarded, would be correct. I've heard arguments both ways, but the correct way is to use IS when referring to an entity, even if it is made up of multiple units. If you use the pronoun "they" it refers to those that make up Valve, not the Valve entity. (Which would be "it")

If Valve actually employs "a retard" does this change the whole argument? They may do what McDonalds does and have some form of work program for the mentally impaired...

Why would anyone care? You gotta be one big looser if you're gonna read through the whole .txt file :rolleyes:

If they do employ a retard, I think we figured out where the leaks are comin' from (can you say fake retard super spy?). Somebody e-mail Gabe and warn him...

P.S. My aplogies to those that have mentally handicapped friends or family members. Whoever invented the word "retard" really should have chosen a less fun-sounding word to use...

-Anomie- said:
But in the legal sense, a corporation has all the rights as a human being. Therefore, a coporation can have the human attribute of being retarded. Thus the usage of "is".

But to settle the issue, most style guides follow this rule: A government, a party, a company (whether Tesco or Marks and Spencer) and a partnership (Skidmore, Owings & Merrill) are all it and take a singular verb.

J3RK said:
Valve is a singular entity containing multiple employees. Valve IS retarded, would be correct. The employees of Valve ARE retarded, would be correct. I've heard arguments both ways, but the correct way is to use IS when referring to an entity, even if it is made up of multiple units. If you use the pronoun "they" it refers to those that make up Valve, not the Valve entity. (Which would be "it")

However: When speaking about a company, "they" seems like the natural pronoun to use, at least for me.[1] It's not a big leap to "valve are" from there. Yes, I agree it refers to the people that make up the company. That works just fine for me.

[1] Except when talking about their stock prize. :)

(Disclaimer: As a norwegian, I nominally learned british grammar and usage, not american. I happily accept that what you present is correct. It's just not the only correct option.)

Obviously since it works either way, the correct answer in this scenario is the people since thats what the thread poster meant. It is possible for a company to be retarded since its employees change but company policy/structure generally stays the same...

That won't delay the game at all, or shouldn't. It has no impact at all. If you want to read the story for the game then you can read that... personally, I'd rather just play the game and let the story develop.

kick@ss said:
That won't delay the game at all, or shouldn't. It has no impact at all. If you want to read the story for the game then you can read that... personally, I'd rather just play the game and let the story develop.

not to mention the file was only distributed in the cybercafe gcf file, which means its not out in the open, and you only find it if you go looking for it with a gcf viewer.

HHunt said:
...Also, "For a leaky company, look at Valve. They are seemingly unable to keep things secret,"....

bahaha! .... leaky Valve.... :D

someone replace the damn thing already!!! ;)

Xtasy0 said:
not to mention the file was only distributed in the cybercafe gcf file, which means its not out in the open, and you only find it if you go looking for it with a gcf viewer.

what, you don't think that there's someone out there with a lot of free time on their hands who got it who's not converting it into another format and getting it released to the public?

it's like the "magic blue smoke" in an athlon processor turned on with no heatsink....once it's out, there's no putting it back in.... :)

Regardless of how much you bash and hate them, I bet you are still going to give them 50$ of your hard earned money for a bunch of 1s and 0s.

Let's be honest, a lot of the people who frequent this forum don't earn their money.

*cough*

Valve is basicly a noob when it comes to releasing games. All they've really done on they're own is Half-Life. CS and all the other mods where done by amateurs and eventually Valve hired them. It really shouldn't be a surprise that they might not know what the fuck they're doing. At any rate, by the looks of things game wise, they do have some talented people working there.

thrashd said:
Regardless of how much you bash and hate them, I bet you are still going to give them 50$ of your hard earned money for a bunch of 1s and 0s.

Damned straight.

They still suxors..but I'll be buying their games. :D

I think I understand what's going on.

Perhaps valve stated it would be a september to september release date. I mean, they are releasing the game bit by bit throughout the whole year to try something new. They start with the source code, then the script, with probably some sound effects coming out this month as well. Next month we can expect some texture files, main menu screens etc.

It's a completely new experience. Not everyday do you get to assemble a piece of software. This is a much more rewarding experience, since when completing the game, you can finally play it.

This sort of thing happens...the toxic fumes from the pile of burning copies of Doom III got to Gabe.

Watch the language, Brit! We only speak American here :p

when it comes, it will come and i will buy it no matter what valve does as long as it does not make HL2 crappy untill then i have plenty of games to keep me entertained. its the game that counts 100%, i could care less who the developers are. i dont buy developers i buy their game, so if they are retards and they make a badass game im getting it.

Back