Valve-Approved Sequel To Half-Life: Opposing Force Will Be Sold On Steam

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Now to wait for the fan-made, Valve-approved Half-Life 3 that they are too lazy to make themselves.

Prospekt is a mod that functions as as sequel to Opposing Force, letting you play as Adrian Shepard, the soldier you played in Opposing Force, during the events of Half-Life 2. These sorts of things are not usually a big deal. Mods are everywhere, mod-sequels have been churned out for ages, especially for Half-Life. Except that the key difference here is this one has received "official Valve approval for Half-life 2 license and assets" and will go on sale on Steam for $9.99 sometime next month.

That didn't look very good at all :( How depressing. Looked very shallow with very little story. I don't want a run around and shoot game. Half life was compelling because it had a way to draw you into the character.

i think i have some Doomit lvl's i could put together for steam.

If you want to get paid for your time and effort, get a job.

I'm against paid mods as a matter of principle.

Making games can't be a job?

Also, it's still not a mod. Mod means you need another game to play it. This is a standalone piece of software.

Just got it, can't wait. I also bought EA Black Mesa, it's coming along nicely.

If I hear it is any good, I will buy it for a dollafiddy during some sale or another. Like Valve, I don't really care much about HL anymore. If something comes out and it is good, great, if not, oh well.

I'll buy it and play it. I miss half-life, I still think about it a lot and feel like all new games are terrible.

I don't dare try and replay it though, don't want to ruin the good memories.

I'll buy it and play it. I miss half-life, I still think about it a lot and feel like all new games are terrible.

I don't dare try and replay it though, don't want to ruin the good memories.

I replayed it not too long ago and enjoyed it.
I do recommend the early access Black Mesa. It's not finished yet, but if you want to try it out you can still download and play the Black Mesa Source mod, they are almost identical.
http://www.blackmesasource.com/
It won't ruin the memories, I promise.

I replayed it not too long ago and enjoyed it.
I do recommend the early access Black Mesa. It's not finished yet, but if you want to try it out you can still download and play the Black Mesa Source mod, they are almost identical.
http://www.blackmesasource.com/
It won't ruin the memories, I promise.

Holy shit that Black Mesa mod still isn't done yet?

Nope, still missing Xen. It is a great mod though, and I will buy it, IF they ever finish it. I don't mind recompensing them for their work, but I will not pay for it b4 it is actually done.

It's now a stand alone game and no longer a mod.
When it went Early Access it included Valve support and required a Source Engine change.
Some of the team members left. Since it is no longer volunteer they can hire developers etc...

That single sentence makes me feel old.
23.jpg

I thought Half Life: Blue Shift was the sequel to Opposing Force? I'm confused.

Well, technically its a standalone game based on Valve's IP. Of course it would be illegal to sell it without approval from the IP owner, but as long as Valve agree to let them commercialize it, I don't see anything wrong with it.

I think the main issue with Skyrim was that many mods depended on other mods, so it became an issue when one tries to sell a mod that contains stuff made by other modders. There was no any means of ensuring that the work being sold did belong to the seller.

Back