Valve Apologizes As Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns

Reasoning with such dishonest logic if obviously futile. I could tell you what kind of monster you are by showing you the company you keep. But I would expect that to be futile too. I have to concede a good job was done turning the last couple of upcoming generations into a shame based collective with some nebulous backroom of people who issue forth the code to live by. I can only begin to imagine the horrors that will come form that.

I don't burn books.. i burn bad games. Deal with it.

We always win.

Adios!

Reasoning with such dishonest logic if obviously futile. I could tell you what kind of monster you are by showing you the company you keep. But I would expect that to be futile too. I have to concede a good job was done turning the last couple of upcoming generations into a shame based collective with some nebulous backroom of people who issue forth the code to live by. I can only begin to imagine the horrors that will come form that.

Godwin's fulfillment in a thread about video games?
We're better than that...

Peter Pan, never grow up and return to the real world.

Not sure what you're implying, that getting thrown under the bus happens and we should all just accept it as appropriate behavior from company leadership?

Not sure what you're implying, that getting thrown under the bus happens and we should all just accept it as appropriate behavior from company leadership?

They weren't thrown under the bus, they were held accountable for an incorrect/bad decision. It's not like Gabe named names. If an employee messes up, why not just say so instead of shoveling a bunch of BS?
"One of our employees made a decision about this game, and, as CEO and hands-on leader of Valve, I've decided that it was not the correct decision and I am fixing it."

Sounds like the kind of company I do and would want to work for...

I'm torn. And anymore, trying for middle ground apathy causes more problems than taking a side.

The haters have opinions. Are you calling for censorship? Let's ignore the hypocritical tone of your post and continue.
LOL, no, just pointing out the easiest way to reach their goal in this case was to shut up.

About the market, i do agree with you: It will decide..and because this is a game with no point, it will fade into the background like Postal etc, and with any luck the devs will go bankrupt because of people like you who "support" the game...but won't put your mouth were your money is.
I don't think so, the censorship morons have given it more than enough free press to virtually insure it makes a profit. Prolly, just like Postal, you know the game that lost the dev so much money they made a sequel, Postal 2, which also made money. I intend to buy it, I may just not play it. No need to worry about me "supporting" it.

So, in the end, the pro-censorship people will win. :)

Nope, they lost the moment they opened their mouth. They just piss so many people off outside their own little circles of stupidity. Some people do things they otherwise would not just to spite them. Any time they lose, I call it a good day. :)

They weren't thrown under the bus, they were held accountable for an incorrect/bad decision. It's not like Gabe named names. If an employee messes up, why not just say so instead of shoveling a bunch of BS?
"One of our employees made a decision about this game, and, as CEO and hands-on leader of Valve, I've decided that it was not the correct decision and I am fixing it."

Sounds like the kind of company I do and would want to work for...

I've no problem when folks are held accountable according to established norms or written company policy or clearly communicated expectations. Please describe to me how that was the case in this instance.

Because when that isn't the case, a good leader can and should still overturn a controversial decision if that's what they want, but they should also understand the environment said manager made the decision in, the nuances surrounding it, and act accordingly. Let's be clear, this isn't black and white and I would assume at this level these folks are professionals. And I'm sorry, but if my boss told everyone publicly where I work that I made a "bad decision " on something as controversial as this, I wouldn't be long at that company. Put yourself in the shoes of the manager. You made a decision based on the best information you had available surrounding a controversial game that is on your platform. Now maybe in he absence of such instructions you should have elevated it. Heck, maybe you should have done nothing, hindsight being 20/20, Well you made a decision and was called to the carpet by your boss, whom I assume you try to please and made your decision to protect.

My point being, Gabe could have still overturn the decision but maybe used a few seconds of foresight and tact.

Now tell me, what do you think your team, co-workers, fellow managers, and basically anyone that works for valve will think of you knowing that Gabe questions your decision making skills?

Again, I got no problem with accountability, but for people to truly be held accountable they need to know the rules of the game. In this case, the appearance is Gabe didn't let his people know the rules, then held them to account after the fact. IMO if that's what happened, then Gabe's a fucktard.

Godwin's fulfillment in a thread about video games?
We're better than that...
Invoking Godwin's law is a cheap out to not have to deal with not so unrecent history concerning an all powerful government especially by people who want an all powerful government.

Just a question, is book burning not inherently wrong to you that I shouldn't use that example?

looks like Postal but without the humor... pass

Heck, a Postal without humor would be something. This isn't even close to it.

I pile of crap is just that, a pile of crap. You could cover it with 100 layers of whipped cream and put a dozen of maraschino cherries on top. It's still a pile of crap.

Would you even play this game?

Yes / No

Hehe... a game whose main goal is to commit homicide in all its gory detail!

Yeah, it's entertaining! What is there not to learn? How can that not be relaxing?
I hope the devs leave room for mods, where they can do some skin modes to replace the characters with ethnic groups they don't like.
Progress, I tell you!

.... I could tell you what kind of monster you are by showing you the company you keep. ...

Who could find playing such a game relaxing, or entertaining, now that's something I would like to know... so I could stay away from them.
A lot of games have violence in them, but in the end, the context of such violence involves conflict, self-defense, revenge, or what have you.
I this case the only aim is to murder virtual 'innocent bystanders'. Not cops - as in Payday - not some enemy force - COD, ARMA, Insurgency. It's murder for the sake of gore.

Yeah, you're right... let them come out so the rest of us know.

Invoking Godwin's law is a cheap out to not have to deal with not so unrecent history concerning an all powerful government especially by people who want an all powerful government.

Just a question, is book burning not inherently wrong to you that I shouldn't use that example?

Book burning is so irrelevant and inapplicable that the link between book burning and Naziism is irrelevant to the current conversation. It's the invocation of the book burning analogy that is so wrong.

Honestly, I don't care if a game is a baby killing, Nun rape, cop murder, drug abuse simulator. It's a game, nothing more. No more deserving of censorship than Moby Dick was.

Yawn, the Polish developers are NOT neo nazis contrary to popular belief, this was something that certain people tried to drum up and was proven to be false.

The "gory game" is a simple graphics isometric game, so whatever.

That said, the game isn't AO, so there shouldn't be any problem in getting it @Steam (they do have issues with AO games and don't accept them in their store, but that is almost the only thing they deny... almost)

Most of everything else stated here made me remember this bit of Penn & Teller's Bullshit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bwGsOBTlhE

Awesome that you guys feel offended or whatever, it is your right as an individual, but going beyond that, well, i can't support that because although i am not interested in the game if you do go beyond for a "good reason" someone will do it for a "bad" one.

Back