Valve Addresses Review Bombing on Steam by Removing Them from Review Scores

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

To mitigate the effects of review bombing, Valve announced Friday it has a built a tool that would identify and alert the moderation team of any game with “anomalous review activity.” After a case of review bombing is confirmed, the reviews submitted under this time period would then be removed from the review score calculation. Gamers can opt out of this change, however, and “off-topic review bombs” will remain on the site for anyone curious enough to read them.

Once our team has identified that the anomalous activity is an off-topic review bomb, we'll mark the time period it encompasses and notify the developer. The reviews within that time period will then be removed from the Review Score calculation. As before, the reviews themselves are left untouched - if you want to dig into them to see if they're relevant to you, you'll still be able to do so. To help you do that, we've made it clear when you're looking at a store page where we've removed some reviews by default, and we've further improved the UI around anomalous review periods.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  2. Stryke1983

Stryke1983 Limp Gawd

Seems reasonable at first glance, especially as it gives you the clear choice of whether to see them or not. If I'm using reviews to help determine whether or not I want to buy a game I don't want to have to wade through thousands of complaints from people just bitching about the developer's political views, etc.

ordray and TMCM like this.
  3. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

So if a SaS game suddenly implements something really shitty and gamers review the game accordingly, how will that be differentiated?

HVAC, Ranulfo, GhostCow and 3 others like this.
  4. MMitch

MMitch Limp Gawd

I suppose the review team need to confirm those are categorized as "review bombing" before applying the sorting which you can anyway opt-out and review for yourself to confirm.
    Obvious bombing will be caught while review based on a true sentiment should be allowed (Your example).

Again, nothing is perfect and can be abused. The good point is you can still review those marked as bombing.

5. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom Gawd

i think if they WILL do something like that it'd be good. i really dont think they will however.
    i do like that they're not flat removing it entirely and its something you can opt out of ... so this is good.

6. STEvil

STEvil 2[H]4U

Sure, I can and those of us who know how to do it, but an inexperienced user is less likely to know how.

7. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

I'm guessing this doesn't detect paid/free key/influencer reviews.

8. Patton187

Patton187 Gawd

I'm sick of this catering to devs.

Armenius, Ebernanut, Dahkoht and 3 others like this.
  9. Bobert

Bobert Limp Gawd

I remember when news dropped that dozens of games were using Red Shell spyware. Review bombing all the games that contained the spyware and warning other gamers was totally justified IMO.

10. Lumpus

Lumpus Limp Gawd

Sheeple, haven't you heard the word? Our corporate master overlords don't want their prey (customers) to comment or review any of their products or interfere with their right to soak the consumer.

What is already happening with Disney coercing Rotten Tomatos to prevent review bombing of Star Wars/Captain Mary Sue is also already affecting AAA gaming titles too. They can't let a bad game released too early affect your quarterly profits, now can they?

/has to be the fault of toxic fans, gamers, etc
    /;) :p

Armenius likes this.
  11. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

I wonder which publishers pressured Valve into doing this.

Armenius likes this.
  12. Bobert

Bobert Limp Gawd

Throw some darts and you will win. :LOL:

1506950278044.jpg

Armenius and Dahkoht like this.
  13. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

Sounds like a decent step. Good on Valve for trying to improve the quality of their platform. First time they've done that in a while. Now let us disable achievement pop ups please. Only been waiting a decade or more.

epic-games-logo-770x470.jpg

exlink likes this.
  14. Bobert

Bobert Limp Gawd

Yeah gonna need another dart. :D

Armenius likes this.
  15. Ebernanut

Ebernanut Gawd

I strongly dislike the term review bomb, it's an obvious attempt to demonize negative reviews and make them sound militant. If a bunch of people dislike something about a game that makes it more relevant to the discussion not less and from the so called review bombs that I've seen they are generally very transparent about why they're leaving a negative review.

The only reviews they should remove are paid for reviews and obvious attempts to game the system and leave multiple reviews.

Armenius likes this.
  16. SuicidalGoat

SuicidalGoat [H]ard|Gawd

Reading through this thread, I feel like I am on the outside of the 'norm'

I personally don't want to wade through mass amounts of nerdrage butthurt or the trigger of the day. A game should stand or fall based on the positive and negative reviews through its life. Not get tanked because of (often misplaced) internet outrage. Have I left a negative review based on changes a dev made that I believe negatively impacted the game? Yes. Do I agree with Valve giving us the tools to make informed decisions? also yes.

17. tetris42

tetris42 [H]ardness Supreme

I'm skeptical about this system. What's to distinguish a review bomb from a developer making an update change that breaks or ruins something about the game, causing a flood of players to give it negative reviews? Or what about an early access game that has positive reviews, then they come out and say they're not going to finish it, sparking a bunch of negative reviews, since they were expecting a finished game?

I agree not wanting review bombs over something unrelated to the game itself, but a bunch of negative reviews all of a sudden is sometimes earned naturally instead of anything orchestrated.

Armenius and TrevorR like this.
  18. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

This.

TrevorR likes this.
  19. HAL_404

HAL_404 Limp Gawd

i don't read game reviews ... I wait for gameplay videos to get posted on YouTube and turn the volume off if the footage has player narration then decide for myself if I like it or not

remember the day way back when, when game trailers were Hollywood - like productions and looked nothing like the gameplay experience?

20. BreezeDM

BreezeDM Gawd

Game constant crashes or slows down because of DRM software - Off topic
    Game installs kernel level scanner - Off topic
    Game update requires accepting EULA that is illegal in most countries - Off topic
    Game scrapes personal details from unrelated files on your system - Off topic
    Game releases update that censors content - Off topic

Those are all things I and a lot of gamers care about before buying a game.

Ebernanut, Shadowed and Armenius like this.
  21. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

It's a disingenuous propaganda manoeuver by Valve that isn't targeting review bombing, but is targeting any significant negative review period for the sake of boosting sales.

Valve say they're counting reviews that criticize things like DRM preventing people from being able to play a game or which causes serious issues with a game as a "review bomb" because DRM isn't technically a part of the game. That's parallel to saying that any negative review criticizing bugs which prevent people from enjoying or at all playing a game is a review bomb because bugs technically aren't a part of the 'game', either.

In other words, Valve are saying that any review that critiques the real-world presentation of the game and doesn't delusionally review a fantasy no-issues conception of the developer's optimal vision of the game is a "review bomb".

It's absurd. And what Valve are doing is also, like what Tim Sweeney is doing, is pissing in our faces and telling us that it's raining.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Armenius likes this.
  22. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Is the opt-out option universal, or do I have to enable the stupid thing every time I visit a product page? If it's the latter I'll be very upset.

23. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

Usually those reviews are tagged as such

I am not a fan of this method of fixing review bombing because then it increases the overall score of the game. I tend to look at the game, look at the score, if it's low/avg then I look at reviews and if I see review bombing I find out why then make up my mind. Now I need to go straight to reviews first since the overall score will be manipulated. Definitely an opt-out for me.

Armenius likes this.
  24. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

The setting stays the same after setting it. However, the setting doesn't work for me, and pages with negative reviews still show the filtered score and number of reviews at the top of the page.

1577856794_Valvereviewfraud.jpg.a49cea4391ef9e9b701d2a2af127dbcc.jpg

25. Armenius

I'll add that if I don't get a clear picture on whether or not it's just whinging I'll go to the Discussions and see what is actively being talked about. It can add further context to any issues.
    I read the post linked in the OP and they said that it is in Steam Setting under the Store section. I'll check it out when I get home.

NickJames likes this.
  26. STEvil

STEvil 2[H]4U

I dont think thats the right option?

Armenius likes this.
  27. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

To access the setting, click the downward-pointing arrow next to your name at the top-right of the Steam store, and choose Preferences.

The setting looks like this.

Steam truthful review setting.jpg

It doesn't work for me, though, and the reviews are still being censored.

Armenius likes this.
  28. horskh

horskh Limp Gawd

I fail to see when "review bombing" is bad. It's not like people are going around randomly hating good games. If people decide they do not like something with regards to a game, or adjunctly related to the game, then they will post a negative review. I have found it only takes a brief read of a few reviews before I get the gist of people's opinion, and can regard or disregard it on my own.

Armenius likes this.
  29. fuzzylogik

fuzzylogik Gawd

Already forgot and maybe it's mentioned... but... wouldn't it be more effective if reviews can only be done by folks that own the game? Or rather, filter on that?

I dunno, sometimes it seems pretty obvious when you have stupid bad reviews (harder to tell with good ones though I think) - see it all the time on Amazon when somebody is crapping over a product and a tiny bit of effort shows that the person is just angry because they bought the wrong thing, didn't know how to use it etc. - Having the verified purchase thing is kinda nice. but anyways, always seems to be a good thing to take reviews with a grain of salt regardless :p

30. Armenius

You could never review a game on Steam without owning it.

Some people have suggested in the past that there should be a minimum amount of play time required to post a review, but that doesn't work for very short games. I am not against making a minimum of 2 hours of play time to review, though, as that would get past the refund period to filter out people who are dumping games early.

31. sharknice

sharknice [H]ard|Gawd

I have to admit I'm feeling a bit of schadenfreude. The drama does provide some entertainment. Are the social justice gamers going to boycott Steam and Epic now? Where will they buy their games?

32. JustinCorrigible

JustinCorrigible Gawd

Does this cover those 5 star/perfect score reviews that are just revenge for the 1 star/lowest score reviews?

33. fuzzylogik

fuzzylogik Gawd

Ah okay - that works at least. Have had steam since the start and... not sure if I've ever reviewed anything lol...