Valkyria Chronicles.... Best game since FF7

I cannot beat the mission where I have to get to the bridge :(

You could play some skirmishes to level up your troops.

This is for one of the single digit chapter battles, right? If you don't want to use the shortcut suggested by Psychotext (I prefer a more drawn out battle where I eliminate most of the enemies), I recommend using mostly shocktrooper in this battle. On sniper to snipe and only lancer to eliminate the nearest tank using the watch tower. Also, on engineer to replenish ammo for your shock trooper and sniper and to repair your tank if you decide to use it. When you clear the ground area, you can advance your sniper and lancer, but keep your sniper behind walls/rubble as they are killed really easily. Also, have a scout to rush to bases and occupy them and retreat. If you must attack, only attack while crouching or using grenades. Optimally, use your action to restore health because you will be sometimes rushing into gun fire. Use your tank to eliminate other tanks.

I was going to write out the actions I did in this battle, but it was going to be very very long.

I beat this recently. Make sure that you blow up their ragnite barrels. Theres one by the first group of 5 or so tanks that can take them all out with a well placed mortar. After that, I charged a shocktrooper (rosie) in there to blast away some of the lancers and allow my tank to rock the remaining forces by their camp. Also, never underestimate the usefulness of scouts - if the flag is not directly occupied (no one within the sand bags around it), you can ninja it.

I beat this recently. Make sure that you blow up their ragnite barrels. Theres one by the first group of 5 or so tanks that can take them all out with a well placed mortar. After that, I charged a shocktrooper (rosie) in there to blast away some of the lancers and allow my tank to rock the remaining forces by their camp. Also, never underestimate the usefulness of scouts - if the flag is not directly occupied (no one within the sand bags around it), you can ninja it.

I totally forgot about the ragnite barrels. To shoot those, use your sniper (one shot) or shocktrooper (get kind of close so most of the shots are able to hit the barrel). You can use a lancer but with their limited ammo, I save them for tanks (to shoot their radiator). Do not use scouts as (from my experience), they do little damage to the barrels.

I totally forgot about the ragnite barrels. To shoot those, use your sniper (one shot) or shocktrooper (get kind of close so most of the shots are able to hit the barrel). You can use a lancer but with their limited ammo, I save them for tanks (to shoot their radiator). Do not use scouts as (from my experience), they do little damage to the barrels.

Hm, I thought that it was a one hit one kill deal. I seem to think that I had shot them previously with a scout and killed them easily.

Hm, I thought that it was a one hit one kill deal. I seem to think that I had shot them previously with a scout and killed them easily.

That is what I thought as well. But for me, I just tried once and failed so I never used the scout to shoot the barrels again. I think the game actually says that a shot is good enough. Perhaps the scout needs to hit the center or near center to be a one shot deal (my scout was shooting all over the place and did less than a tenth of damage).

Well, I just baet the game. I pretty much loved it - haven't been this addicted to a game in a good long time. The fact that the game is over is bittersweet :(

This and metal gear are the only reasons I wish I had a ps3. Oh how I wish this was on 360

I love these kinds of games, its next on my Gamefly list once I get done with MGS4 I'll get VC.

Well, I just baet the game. I pretty much loved it - haven't been this addicted to a game in a good long time. The fact that the game is over is bittersweet :(

I just beat the game a few days ago myself. Reading the earlier replies in this thread lead me to believe that the game was longer (I was in ch11 and was reading that the battles were more drawn out "later"). I was quite disappointed that I beat the game sooner than I anticipated. At least this is a game that I could continue playing even after beating it. Will have to level up my people a lot more if I am to even beat a skirmish on hard.

I picked this game up based on this thread, and damn am I addicted. It's even making me late for WoW raids, haha. On Chapter 11 right now, and I can definitely see replaying a lot of chapters and look forward to the DLC which is supposed to be hitting Live sometime soon.

I just beat the game a few days ago myself. Reading the earlier replies in this thread lead me to believe that the game was longer (I was in ch11 and was reading that the battles were more drawn out "later"). I was quite disappointed that I beat the game sooner than I anticipated.
The "later" comment was chapters 10 on vs the first bunch.

Other than that, if anything I found this game too long. I enjoyed it, but it was starting to become tedious for me toward the end. The hard skirmish levels were well worth going back for though.

look forward to the DLC which is supposed to be hitting Live sometime soon.
Perhaps not. :p

The "later" comment was chapters 10 on vs the first bunch.

Other than that, if anything I found this game too long. I enjoyed it, but it was starting to become tedious for me toward the end. The hard skirmish levels were well worth going back for though.

Perhaps leveling up and using the highest accuracy weapons made beating each battle quicker for me. And using snipers. Because of leveling up, I found the latter part of the game to be easier (and hence quicker) and was able to achieve an A rank on those battles. Scout Elites with the grenade launcher/thrower, Shocktrooper Elites with the flamethrower and snipers with rifles that have an A rank for aiming helped a lot.

Aaaaaagh! This is what I get for owning both systems.... lol ... (Valkyria is actually my first PS3 game if you can believe that... its just been my blu-ray player)

Perhaps leveling up and using the highest accuracy weapons made beating each battle quicker for me. And using snipers. Because of leveling up, I found the latter part of the game to be easier (and hence quicker) and was able to achieve an A rank on those battles. Scout Elites with the grenade launcher/thrower, Shocktrooper Elites with the flamethrower and snipers with rifles that have an A rank for aiming helped a lot.

Admittedly, I didn't find the latter portion to be too difficult either. There were a few battles where I restarted after the first turn or two after I found out the trick for that battle, but all in all I didn't have too much difficulty and didn't really need to level up via skirmishes (although I did play a few).

Word of advice - make sure you buy the reports from the reporter. They are suplemental story lines and some of them have battles. I didn't figure that out until 3/4 through the game.

Are the hard skirmishes worth checking out? I gameflied the game, and am not sure if its worth it to keep it around for a bit or not.

I don't mind the story in this game, but you have to sit there and watch / read cut scenes that are less than exciting for far too long between missions. I wish there was more game in this game. I like everything about this game, it's the first strategy game i've ever gotten in to. I haven't picked it up in like 2 weeks though because I know i have to sit through 20 mins of chatter before i can actually play the game.

Are the hard skirmishes worth checking out? I gameflied the game, and am not sure if its worth it to keep it around for a bit or not.

I only tried a hard skirmish once (the first one) and lost in the first turn. Once it was the enemy's turn, two shots from the tank destroyer was all it took to take out Welkin's tank (I didn't move it to safety). I came to the conclusion that I will want to level my people up before I try again.

About that particular skirmish... you are closely surrounded by the enemy and have to capture their bases, which they are closely guarding.

I don't mind the story in this game, but you have to sit there and watch / read cut scenes that are less than exciting for far too long between missions. I wish there was more game in this game. I like everything about this game, it's the first strategy game i've ever gotten in to. I haven't picked it up in like 2 weeks though because I know i have to sit through 20 mins of chatter before i can actually play the game.

You could skip the cut scenes by pressing start and pass the chatter by just continually pressing "X." You could always review these scenes later anyway so you don't have to worry about missing stuff. Just "endure" the ones during battles though since you can't really watch those again (until you beat the game once so you can play that battle again).

You could indeed skip them (as suggested by apcviewer). I, however, enjoyed the story. I thought the characterization was pretty good and it grew on me over time.

I finally got a hold of this and played through it not too long ago. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Most of it was fantastic but there were some annoyances such as the AI constantly using one unit over and over again.

The thing that probably bother me the most was how the cutscenes were broken up. I didn't like how I'd have to click on a cutscene, wait for it to load, watch it, and then get kicked back to the book to repeat the whole thing over again multiple times. I'd much rather just start one cutscene, wait for it to load, and then watch them all before going back to the book.

I actually thought the DLC was a bit more wordy than it needed to be, for either mission.

But Selvaria's mission is much better than Edy's, and worth it if you were to just get one, IMO. Plus I unlocked a cool weapon after playing Selveria's mission. Not sure if there was anything in Edy's that maybe I just missed? I think killing the named soldier in Sel's mission got me the weapon, but not sure.

I did not bother to purchase the Hard EX mode.

Yea, the Ruhm gun is great, but kinda ruins the game balance if you use it in the main story (as if it wasn't easy enough to do that).

But what exactly does Hard EX get you that is "fun", other than, well... the same game, but harder?

But what exactly does Hard EX get you that is "fun", other than, well... the same game, but harder?

its just for skirmish missions
enemies are tougher ( more dmg/more accurate/new placements etc.)
no tanks aka no order etc

this will be my second game for the ps3 after lpb and i hope you guys are right. i picked it up off of ebay for cheap :) and really looking forward to it.

thanks for the info on the DLC I think I will get the story DLCs and try them out.

I wish they would add multiplayer DLC. I think it would be a lot of fun if you took your squard that you built up from playing the single player and could vs other peoples squards they have built up.

this will be my second game for the ps3 after lpb and i hope you guys are right. i picked it up off of ebay for cheap :) and really looking forward to it.

We are, the game is great if you like RPG/Tactic games. MGS4 should be your 3rd game and Infamous should be your 4th game :D

mgs4 is a no go for me personally just not interested. not really a big shooter fan more of a rpg and adventure type person.

We are, the game is great if you like RPG/Tactic games. MGS4 should be your 3rd game and Infamous should be your 4th game :D

I bought MGS4 a couple of weeks ago and didn't really like it at all. Uncharted is easily the best exclusive on the system. It's one of those games that I'll probably never get rid of.

I never tried the Valkyria Chronicles DLC since it seemed overpriced at $4.99 each.

Back