Valkyria Chronicles.... Best game since FF7

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
I know its not exactly in the same category however, I have been an avid gamer both console and PC for along time.

I know this isnt exactly new news, but I am playing Valkyria Chronicles now, and it has done to me what only final fantasy 7 has done to me.

This is a great game and hope it only continues to get better.

I only have played for a few hours, but I am hoping the game is long.

Your thoughts?

The game is bloody long... lol.

You could argue that it's a bit too long actually. Great game though.

I know its not exactly in the same category however, I have been an avid gamer both console and PC for along time.

I know this isnt exactly new news, but I am playing Valkyria Chronicles now, and it has done to me what only final fantasy 7 has done to me.

This is a great game and hope it only continues to get better.

I only have played for a few hours, but I am hoping the game is long.

Your thoughts?

I played for a bit and just couldn't enjoy the gameplay. The graphics were gorgeous though, and I can see other people loving it and can't blame them, but it just wasn't doing it for me.

really wanna play this game...waiting for the price to go down lol :/

Very long and Very good for a turn base game.

I just got the game and on the second chapter.

So far it's about 3 pretty long cutscenes/movies per one round of gameplay... way too much cutscenes

I'm sad, I have this game, but haven't played it yet. I'm actually still trying to beat FF9; I held it off for a long damn time. This is next though.

bought it used for 30$

one of the best deal i made in gaming!

So far it's about 3 pretty long cutscenes/movies per one round of gameplay... way too much cutscenes

I think this is the best part of the game. Its like being able to play my own anime.

<3

The battles get much, much, much longer later on. There are still a lot of cutscenes though... so it's not for those that aren't interested in having story in their games.

Very fun, gorgeous game.

I think this will be overlooked -- genre will limit the popularity and sales.

I was going to buy this but after watching a stream of someone playing it, it looks incredibly hard.

Whats the gist? Is it like the FF series in terms of combat? I keep looking at it on the shelf....

The game is bloody long... lol.

You could argue that it's a bit too long actually. Great game though.

That is good news for me. I was afraid I would be beating the game sooner than I would like. As long as it doesn't feel rushed, it will be great.

I beat FF XII on accident. Yeah, I didn't know I was fighting the final boss when I did. Game felt rushed too which I found annoying.

Whats the gist? Is it like the FF series in terms of combat? I keep looking at it on the shelf....

There is a demo you can download and check out. Here is a youtube video of the demo if you don't want to download the actual demo first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEHqti6hPiM

I'm playing through this right now and am loving it.

I don't really like how the ranks for missions are determined only by the speed in which you beat them. I normally just run my scout through the entire level, kill the guys by the flag, and capture it in two turns.

Oh yea! Demos! I'm so new to the PS3 scene that I forgot I can get demos online for free.

I just started playing, and am about 3 hours in. Very fun. Once I got to the part where they let me pick characters to place on the field, I got spanked! Had to restart taht battle :(

The battles get much, much, much longer later on. There are still a lot of cutscenes though... so it's not for those that aren't interested in having story in their games.

much much much much longer, in fact, lol. And that's not even considering if/when you have to restart a mission.

This means very little since FF7 was a heap. :D

You can't expect this comment to go uncorrected, you just can't. FF7 was, by and large, the game that got me into RPG's. It was a landmark game. If you go back to it now sure it looks pretty bad, but back in the day it was THE game to play if you were even remotely interested in RPG's.

While I understand many such as yourself got into rpg games because of the over whelming hype surrounding FF7 (it did after all propel the Playstation to the #1 spot); There are many many games before FF7 that are superior, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu III, Chrono Trigger, FF4/5/6, Valkyrie Profile, just to name a few. And then there are Phantasy Star and Shinning Force series on the Sega side. To me FF7 is where Square went down the path of style over substance.

Valkyrie Profile came WAY after FF7. Honestly, FF7 had all of the same things as the games you listed plus better graphics and presentation. I'm never one to stand with the majority, but in this case they're right and this is coming from a slightly jaded RPGer especially when it comes to Squaresoft.

I wouldn't say ff7 had better graphics consider 3d were still in early stages with low polygon counts, different than early games yes, but better? debatable......I'll take well drawn 2d sprites any day.

you got me on valkyrie profile, I don't know why I lumped it in with the earlier snes games, heh.

Back to Valkyria Chronicles, I did get a chance to play it for a bit. I like it, finally another good turn base game.

Absolutely fantastic. Fun "turn-based-action" gameplay, gorgeous animation, and the kind of Japanese style story I like. Even better is the fact that the entire Japanese vocal track is available on the disc, unlike so many other games! It was for this reason alone that I purchased it, and I'm glad that I did!

This game is awesome. I bought it on release day and I have no regrets. I got a number of people on my friends list to start playing it just by seeing me playing it, and trying the demo.

i really really really like this games. Its on my top 3 on the PS3 so far. The story is just enough quirky to make it not too serious.

Its a must have for ANY ps3 owners!

Im glad to see many others share my opinion.

I wonder if they will ever make a game like this again?

Im glad to see many others share my opinion.

I wonder if they will ever make a game like this again?
Spread the words so that more people will buy the game and I'm sure that developers will create more games like that again.

I learned the hard way last night not to expose the rear of my tank to lancers. Mid battle, the Edelweiss was at about 5/6 hp, and then kaboom! :(

This game is fun if not a bit long winded at times. Moink!

Still don't know if I want a PS3 since xbox got star ocean and I found one for 100bucks. But good to here good RPG's are still made.

FF7 haters are silly. Even if you hate the game at least have the since to realize this game had more impact than other RPG; soundtrack alone out sold many other RPG's.

any comments about the story? is it well written/though out, interesting? serious? Also how is the soundtrack? I usually end up playing my own music or something in some games lol is this possible/recommended for this one?

Miskari -

The story is a well written war story, set in what almost seems to be an alternate reality world war II (judging by the tech level, how the weapons look etc). However, it is in fact, VERY Japanese. I don't meant it has samurai and ninja, but the way the characters are constructed, the romantic and friendship sub plots progress, the way Welkin feels about his squad etc... are all very tradional Japanese values. I personally love stuff like this, but for the same reason people hated Final Fantasy VIII, there will be some who hate this or just won't understand why character X doesn't, or does, do Y - its simply a cultural difference.

The soundtrack so far is about average for any modern JRPG. Its not Xenogears/saga, Chrono Trigger, or FF IV, VI, VIII, but its pretty damn good. The voice acting in Japanese is pretty damn decent, the english "subtitle" translation isn't horrible (though there are some glaring omissions - "Welks" is not a good substitution for "nii-san" ), and I feel that the characters, especially the females and Largo, sound much much better in Japanese.

There's a bit of rubble you can blow up near the start which gives you a shortcut to their final base (there's an arrow on the map). Try going that way, and forget about your tank for that level... it's next to useless.

Back