/Vader Noooooooo , Gearbox acquires Homeworld IP.

Well, I'll wait and see. At least they'll do something with the IP. The game itself was fantastic...the cut scenes may have been the best part of it all. God, they were just beautifully done. They really understood the concept of "less is more".

Gearbox has a mission to screw up every game license people loved. But, I wonder, which company now they will lie to, to get money to finance the project. I doubt Sega will willingly gave them money again.

Don't forget Gearbox needs a second developer to finger if/when the product launches and is a steaming turd.

Speaking of which, anyone knows if the Homeworld will launch at Windows 7 machine? Copies are still cheaply aviable at Amazon, and was wondering if it was still worth a shot :)

Speaking of which, anyone knows if the Homeworld will launch at Windows 7 machine? Copies are still cheaply aviable at Amazon, and was wondering if it was still worth a shot :)

Running on Win 7 64-bit...

You have to run Homeworld (and Cataclysm) in compatibility mode set at Win NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5) and Default OpenGL mode.

No special settings for Homeworld 2. Just install and be merry!

I'm not jumping the gun on thinking this will be an instant failure to the franchise. I usually put good faith forward with any game developer that has at least one game I enjoy & hope for the best with whatever game they plan on making.

Most people act like Gearbox wants to screw everyone over but they even admitted to their failings at PAX East 2013. They ACTUALLY want to do right by their fans & those they've pissed off. My suggestion: STOP holding a grudge & at least be forgiving to allow enough room to consider that they might release better games in the future.

They bought it with Aliens $.

I'm sure Randy is going to be again saying how its the best thing since sliced bread.

They bought it with Aliens $.

I'm sure Randy is going to be again saying how its the best thing since sliced bread.

Then he'll release "game play" footage to show how good the game looks.........

Most people act like Gearbox wants to screw everyone over but they even admitted to their failings at PAX East 2013. They ACTUALLY want to do right by their fans & those they've pissed off. My suggestion: STOP holding a grudge & at least be forgiving to allow enough room to consider that they might release better games in the future.

The problem is, their actions say otherwise. I still follow A:CM development and this is the truth of the matter:

1) Since March 19th when Bug Hunt was released, there has been ZERO indication of what the next Season Pass DLC will be, nothing regarding more patches, fixes, etc. NO communication from GBX other than "we're working on it, bu won't say what we're working on".

2) ZERO Shift codes since the first lulztastic "Friends of Gearbox" one for A:CM whereas BL2 gets them cranked out almost on a daily basis.

3) STILL no host migration or dedicated servers for A:CM, which is utterly destroying the MP scene (what little is left of it)

4) Sega has confirmed that there will be no SDK for A:CM (not really a GBX thing but still)

So no, I'm not giving GBX the benefit of the doubt anymore.

I can't say I'm as aware as I could be regarding A:CM. I can understand the reason for people being pissed off about it even after the "fixes" should have been implemented well.

Fair enough, and I'm not saying for sure that GBX isn't trying to make it right. They're just not doing a very good job making fans feel that way.

Fair enough, and I'm not saying for sure that GBX isn't trying to make it right. They're just not doing a very good job making fans feel that way.

I might be gullible from Randy's apology at PAX East 2013. Gaining free stuff might make me biased, too... :D

I might be gullible from Randy's apology at PAX East 2013. Gaining free stuff might make me biased, too... :D

Randy has never once apologized for Aliens. In fact, he refuses to. He has said this many times on his Twitter account.

He is of the delusion that most people liked Aliens.

Randy has never once apologized for Aliens. In fact, he refuses to. He has said this many times on his Twitter account.

He is of the delusion that most people liked Aliens.

Yeah, I was actually questioning that statement but I didn't want to call it out. I'm pretty sure all they said was basically that they were working on it and then just gave the patch notes of a patch that they already released, with no future plans or anything.

It's almost the end of April and we haven't heard anything about any of the other Season Pass DLCs, which are all supposed to be released by August.

The intro didn't start with two badly animated female characters giving the protagonist a blow job?

I'm really just curious to know how someone can say that about one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time. But, I'm used to people spouting opinions without explaining why they reached that thought here at HardOCP. It was probably that the game was too difficult for him.

Homeworld 1 has aged quite badly...I really would recommend just jumping to HW 2.

Homeworld 1 has aged quite badly...I really would recommend just jumping to HW 2.

I think the opposite about HW1. Since we're talking space ships and the like, there was no need for extremely complex geometry, they actually designed the assets around those polygon limits of the day. So it actually holds up pretty well at higher resolutions unlike many other games of the era. The story and music are timeless, and HW2 was very inferior to HW1 in that area, so I would definitely not recommend skipping to the sequel first.

The last intelligent RTS that was ever made. You needed to combine strategy and tactics ( a foreign concept in today's zerg-wins/ bigger-army-wins modern RTS / 4x mentality ).

There was nothing like it before or after, in terms of design.

Homeworld 1 was to RTS what Master of Orion 2 was to 4x games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeworld#Reception

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Orion_II:_Battle_at_Antares#Reception

While I loved Homeworld I don't see how you can say that.

Plenty of new RTS games require smart use of tactics and allow you to play smart and overcome great odds, like th eTotal War games, etc.

It was indeed the last good space RTS though in terms of those kinds of big tactics and epic space battles.

I'm really just curious to know how someone can say that about one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time. But, I'm used to people spouting opinions without explaining why they reached that thought here at HardOCP. It was probably that the game was too difficult for him.

Well this is the same guy who just posted this in the Rage thread:

RAGE is easily the best looking FPS to date. And the best in gameplay, relative to other recent AAA shooters.

Either he is a professional troll or is psychotic from sniffing too much glue in his spare time. How else do you explain someone lamenting that he had to give money to Gearbox instead of 3DRealms for that pile of turd DNF.

Last edited:

Either he is a professional troll or is psychotic from sniffing too much glue in his spare time. How else do you explain someone lamenting that he had to give money to Gearbox instead of 3DRealms for that pile of turd DNF.

Troll, shill, same dif. Pretty obvious too:

Lack of what I call actual gameplay.

Yeah, but why would someone bother to troll fans of a not-so-known game from 14 years ago?

[edit] I'll just leave this here...
I love Baking Bread (and piku/meth). I wish both were legal :(

Also, I have green eyes. My opinion is worthless!

It is impossible for someone else to dislike the things you like and like the things you can't stand. Hurd mentality at its best.

My opinion is worthless!
Based on your other posts, very true.

It is impossible for someone else to dislike the things you like and like the things you can't stand. Hurd mentality at its best.

Or it could be that you say pretty random stuff without any of what some might call logic/rational thought that lead you to form that opinion. Derp.

Was curious why there is so much hate for GearBox, then I saw a video on youtube with the title "Why you should hate GearBox." Pretty shady, but I don't think a company would make the same mistake twice, or will they?

Based on your other posts, very true.

Or it could be that you say pretty random stuff without any of what some might call logic/rational thought that lead you to form that opinion. Derp.

It's official then. Things you (and the rest of the herd) don't agree with = random. You might have a chance in politics.

It could be we just dont care about yor opinion and think it is shit. Just saying. I grow tired of the argument everyone should listen to others opinions. Why? If I disagree with you I probably dont care about anything you have to say and await the day you catch fire so I can roast some marshmellows.:)

Opinions aren't worth a whole lot unless you've established your credibility. You've basically done the opposite. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but don't get upset and offended when people tell you they don't agree with you.

It's official then. Things you (and the rest of the herd) don't agree with = random. You might have a chance in politics.

I and most people I know can respect a dissenting opinion when there is supporting/logical reasons that would lead someone to form it. You just make an empty statement. So yeah, that's generally what most would call a worthless opinion. On top of that, you are coming into a thread about the HW franchise and saying it sucks (again, with no actual detailed information as to why) and then whining when people get annoyed with it. The onus is definitely on you to explain yourself, otherwise why are you posting? When I asked you why you thought it had terrible execution you gave another vague opinion without anything to back it up. So you're either a troll or just someone who has a lot to learn.

Hm, I just checked and I did say it sucked. My bad. I'll clarify now.

Homeworld wasn't a bad product but it was a bad game.

Things progressed very, very slowly and I felt there wasn't much to do, really. StarCraft, on the other hand, offered tons of actual gameplay.

The game play was good, but the graphics at the time was amazing, and the story/production value of the single player campaign was excellent.

Of course this was 12 years ago.

Back