Vacation is Over , Time to Get Back to Work

tjmagneto

[H]ard DCOTM x2
Slacker here is back and folding with this amazing rig.

GvebwBe.jpg

+1. Is the weather getting better for folding? :)

That desk is awful empty... at least 3 more rigs could be squeezed onto that table...lol.

I had Ubuntu 16.04 already installed on this rig before I installed fah, so I figured what the heck and use 16.04. What a mess., Fahcontrol would not work and I had to get older python stuff downloaded and installed. Once fahcontrol was running I saw that the GPU was recognized. Nice. After a few beers and driver downloads the machine is now folding.

Welcome back TJ!

So how bad is Ubuntu and GPU folding? I think i am going to spin up a GPU rig myself for the winter - nothing radical; a couple of 9xx cards or something. Ubuntu would seem to be the smart OS choice given my reasonable familiarity with it, assuming I don't just go with Windows.

[personal opinion]Ubuntu = bad
CentOS 7 = good
[/personal opinion]

I struggled after years with Ubuntu with driver install from 14.10 onwards. Drove me nuts and I found in CentOS a solid OS, minimal OS with Gnome UI; nothing else needed on the box 24/7 dedicated folder.
Rigs get managed over network from my Mac or iPad.
Not sure if the newer Python 3 environments still make problem with FAH (some workaround passible, or newer beta client 7.4.15)

Hmm...i guess i am not anti-CentOS. I'm sure I have installed it somewhere at some point.

I don't pick Ubuntu because i like it necessarily. I pick it because there is FAR more documentation on it to assist with troubleshooting.

Not sure how F@H under CentOS deviates from the BOINC guides you linked, Gilthanis. I assume they are the same outside of which client to install.

Couldn't tell you on that one. I've never ran FAH under Linux. And you have a good idea how far my Linuxese goes...lol

The biggest downside of CentOS / rpm packages is that the config screen is not triggered during FAH install. But how needs that ... just copy an good known config file and call it a day.

The biggest downside of CentOS / rpm packages is that the config screen is not triggered during FAH install. But how needs that ... just copy an good known config file and call it a day.
....which is a problem when you don't have a good known config file or where to put it in the v7 client if you did.

We'll cross that bridge if we get to it. It does sounds like Windows is the way to go for simplicity though.

[personal opinion]Ubuntu = bad
CentOS 7 = good
[/personal opinion]

I struggled after years with Ubuntu with driver install from 14.10 onwards. Drove me nuts and I found in CentOS a solid OS, minimal OS with Gnome UI; nothing else needed on the box 24/7 dedicated folder.
Rigs get managed over network from my Mac or iPad.
Not sure if the newer Python 3 environments still make problem with FAH (some workaround passible, or newer beta client 7.4.15)
I was able install and run FAH with Ubuntu 16.04 but it took a lot of effort and alcohol.

I personally recommend zorin 9 for gpu folding, its based on Ubuntu 14.04, doesn't have any dependency issues and can be up and folding in about 15 minutes.

Booze-infused candy - that sound like something we would do here in the states, being the fat drunks that we are.... :p

I'm still trying to decide if that is insane, disgusting, or brilliant... :)

insane brilliant ... also in Matcha, Wasabi and Azuki/Red Beans ... and dozen other flavours ...

Normally I get the Matcha (Green Tea) ; but the Sake one was actually quite nice.

[oh man, that went off-topic]

... but I ate it during my vacation (puhhh, back ontopic)

I had never read The Mojo Story before today. Thanks for sharing. And tjmagneto, I see a couple of PCI-E slots that aren't used on that motherboard. Looks like a great spot for a couple of 1080s. (y)

Back