V-Sync stuck at 120fps, running out of ideas

Pyroja

Gawd
Short version: I have a 60hz monitor plugged in, but for some reason V-Syncs keeps the framerate at 120fps, causing minor tearing.

Longer version: My primary display is 60hz. For kicks and giggles, I hooked up a 120hz projector and gamed on it for a bit. Disconnected it and went back to my 60hz monitor. Ever since then, all my games stick to 120fps with V-Sync on, despite my monitor being 60hz (and being set to 60hz in display properties). It's annoying because I'm getting some minor screen tearing and I really want this fixed.

I've already completely uninstalled the AMD drivers and CCC and reinstalled. That didn't help. I tried gaming on my second monitor via the IGP and V-sync works properly there, so this has to be some sort of driver issue... Or so I would think.

Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Disabling CrossFire gets V-Sync working properly. Re-enabling it makes the problem return. Odd, since I've been running this Crossfire setup for years and have never, ever had this problem until now.

Last edited:
1: what cable interface are you using? VGA? DVI?

2: Have you tried creating a custom resolution Via 3rd party tool?

3: Have you limited the FPS to 60 in the CCC?

1: what cable interface are you using? VGA? DVI?

2: Have you tried creating a custom resolution Via 3rd party tool?

3: Have you limited the FPS to 60 in the CCC?

1. HDMI

2. I did do that when I was setting up the projector, in order to get the 120hz mode working.

3. I have not, and I don't know how to do that either. The only options under "Frame Rate Control" are whether V-Sync is forced or not and if Triple Buffering is enabled.

#2 may be the killer.

The custom resolutions you set up in the 3rd party programs edit the Windows registry. May want to do a system restore to back before you set up the projector. That's the easiest option.

Yeah, resetall.exe from the CRU set should get rid of the custom resolution.

Ok, ran that utility, restarted, and... No joy.

New thing I discovered: I tried gaming on my secondary monitor that is also connected to my GPU (I have three monitors: 40" TV is my main on the GPU, 19" monitor also on the GPU, and another 19" on the Intel IGP) and it V-Sync'd just fine at 60fps. Make my main display the primary again, and it goes back to 120fps. Even tried using a DVI-HDMI cable just to plug the display into a different output.

So...

CrossFire on, main dsiplay: 120fps, aka broken V-Sync
CrossFire off, main display: 60fps, aka V-Sync is working right
CrossFire on/off, second display: 60fps
Intel IGP, third display: 60fps

Really don't know what the deal is here, especially as this is a brand new problem on a setup I've been running for years =/

EDIT: Just to be as thorough as I could, I plugged my main display into my laptop via HDMI (laptop GPU is a GTX 980M), and V-Sync works just fine. So this is specific to just my 6950s, and specific only to running them in CrossFire, and specific to only this display. But no specific to the output, as connecting via HDMI and DVI both produced the same results.

Last edited:
Back