Uverse modem/router question - is this possible?

Pez

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello experts. I recently dumped AT&T for WOW, and have the uverse 2wire 3600 modem/router doing nothing. Is it possible to turn this into a regular router for my WOW (cable) internet? I'd like to use this as a makeshift wireless router until I save up the funds for something better.

Here's how I'd like to set it up:
[Modem] -> [unmanaged switch] -> 2wire wireless router

Is that possible? I know these modems/routers have issues with bridging...

Thanks in advance.

I had Uverse for over 3 years and during that time tons of 2WIRE issues. I recommend going with a real router and just dumping the 2WIRE entirely. They are full of issues and really not worth it over a decent low cost router.

Bit strapped for cash, and hoping this ghetto setup will last until I save up for a good Cisco one.

Bit strapped for cash, and hoping this ghetto setup will last until I save up for a good Cisco one.

Still wouldn't recommend it honestly. 2WIRE's are not only very poor performers and have major issues with wireless but they commonly brick themselves.

Not sure if you could use them without a line connection to Uverse service honestly. If you must have something simply buy a less expensive router from a big chain that you can return in 30 days , I know its a frowned upon practice but I would personally rather do that then use a 2WIRE even if I had limited options.

Just get a cheapy Dlink or Linksys in the meantime. Those go for no more than like 50 bucks. The Linksys one will say Cisco on it, for what it's worth. :p Actually didn't they sell that division? Not sure who makes the Linksys ones now.

In this case, I owned the device and was told I did not need to return it.

While I completely agree that even a cheap Dlink or similar would be better (the first 2wire's wireless broke within 2 weeks of me using it), I am extremely strapped for cash. My wife's car started smoking today, so that has to come first (in addition to paying off the house and furniture and etc....). If there's a way to get this to work as a wireless router for even a month, I'll take it.

If the unit includes a built-in modem, then you probably won't be able to use it as a "router" for your cable internet.

You could probably still use it as a wireless access point though, if you have the option to disable DHCP; after which, only plug stuff into the LAN ports or connect via wireless. You would need a regular router between the access point and your modem though.

The 2Wires are shit as a router but in bridge mode they are stable.

Disable dhcp on the 2wire if you can and give it an IP in your LANs range and enable wireless. Should work.

if the 2wire has a red broadband port it'll work just fine.

cable modem to red broadband port and that's it.

The 2Wires are shit as a router but in bridge mode they are stable.

Disable dhcp on the 2wire if you can and give it an IP in your LANs range and enable wireless. Should work.

Funny, none of the current 2wire products have a "bridge mode", they have DMZ plus with public ip assignment which is very different from "bridge mode" or even ip passthru. Currently only the NVG510 and NVG589 have ip-passthru.

The only current att used products that have a true bridge mode (where nothing hits a nat table) are the 2210 and the 2310, both of which are only used with an EdgeMarc 250AEW for VoiceDNA service.

Last edited:
if the 2wire has a red broadband port it'll work just fine.

cable modem to red broadband port and that's it.

Funny, none of the current 2wire products have a "bridge mode", they have DMZ plus with public ip assignment which is very different from "bridge mode" or even ip passthru. Currently only the NVG510 and NVG589 have ip-passthru.

The only current att used products that have a true bridge mode (where nothing hits a nat table) are the 2210 and the 2310, both of which are only used with an EdgeMarc 250AEW for VoiceDNA service.

They have special firmware that can bridge them.

The DMZ mode also works well. I've never had an issue with it. They work well as modems but suck for routing.

They have special firmware that can bridge them..

No, they don't.

Bridge mode = nothing touches NAT table on the AT&T device
DMZ Plus with public IP assignment = everything runs through the AT&T devices NAT table with a long timeout. That is a 1024 connection NAT table except for the 589.
IP-Passthru = everything runs through the AT&T device's NAT table with a short timeout.

None of the "current" AT&T products except for the 2210 and 2310 have a bridge mode what so ever, no special firmware either.

That includes the 3800, 3801, 3600, 5031NV, Pace 5168, Motorola NVG510 or Motorola NVG589.

The Pace 5168 and the 2 moto's have ip-passthru, but that is NOT bridge mode. They are NOT the same thing.

The 2701 did have ip-passthru, but that is a legacy product. Any other modem is not considered "current" and therefor is legacy.

OP: The 3600 does't have a broadband port on it either, so unless you get another router you are out of luck.

No, they don't.

Bridge mode = nothing touches NAT table on the AT&T device
DMZ Plus with public IP assignment = everything runs through the AT&T devices NAT table with a long timeout. That is a 1024 connection NAT table except for the 589.
IP-Passthru = everything runs through the AT&T device's NAT table with a short timeout.

None of the "current" AT&T products except for the 2210 and 2310 have a bridge mode what so ever, no special firmware either.

That includes the 3800, 3801, 3600, 5031NV, Pace 5168, Motorola NVG510 or Motorola NVG589.

The Pace 5168 and the 2 moto's have ip-passthru, but that is NOT bridge mode. They are NOT the same thing.

The 2701 did have ip-passthru, but that is a legacy product. Any other modem is not considered "current" and therefor is legacy.

OP: The 3600 does't have a broadband port on it either, so unless you get another router you are out of luck.

Yes they do. AT&T might not flash them but the 2WIRES can be flashed to "dumb" mode. My ISP does it.

So... what do I need to do to get my router to do what I want it to do? It just has the 4 ports for local ethernet (and a line for the vdsl which I obviously don't use and 2 other aux phone ports).

Back