Uuuuuuuugh AIM Triton is an abomination

BobTheSlob

Limp Gawd
My new install feels SULLIED by this garbage called AIM Triton. What other programs can I use that are compatible with AIM? Nobody I know uses any other IM client and I like to transfer files which never seems to work with other clients like Gaim. Anyone got any ideas here?

Thanks

Just thought about using regular AIM (version 5.9something something), that would easily allow you to chat and share files. Otherwise I would suggest a multi-chat client like Trillian because those have much more ease to them and they actually do work (sometimes better than the orignal software).

I've never been that big of a fan of Trillian. It's pretty complicated software, at leat how I saw it. Maybe I'm wrong?

Does anyone use anything else besides Trillian?

I second the GAIM. I didn't like it at first (I was a fan of DeadAIM), but now it's all I'll use.

right now i use aim 5.2.3292 with aimutation, but i think gaim is a better option. I only use aim+aimutation since it handles multiple monitors better than gaim on windows.

My friend keeps telling me to use AIM with Aimutation, but they are poth shitty. Use Gaim and find some other way to transfer files.

My take:

For people that only use AIM then pickup a version of AIM 5.9 on oldversion.com, for those people that do so and feel the need for more customization then you can download middleman or deadaim. For people that use muiltiple networks e.g. aim, msn, yim, etc then you want to look at GAIM or Trillian. Trillian is more user friendly and has quite a few options to customize it to your liking. Although Trillian takes a while to get used to, you will settle in and find new options. If you think Trillian is limiting or unstable or just don't like the interface then GAIM is for you. Supports everything I can think of, aim, msn, what ever you use. Has many many options but can be very intimidating at times. Now, with all muti-protocol IMing apps your going to have trouble sharing files, that just how it is. So don't expect to.

BobTheSlob said:
I've never been that big of a fan of Trillian. It's pretty complicated software, at leat how I saw it. Maybe I'm wrong?

i love trillain! i dont think its complicated at all! what did you think was complicated about it?

Like all AOL software, each new version gets yet more awful.

<nostalgia>

AOL 2.5

</nostalgia>

I agree. AIM Triton is shit. I have used Trillian pretty much for the past 6 years (I think?), and am very accustomed to it. It may still lack webcam support (sucks), but other than that I definately do love it.

I haven't tried GAIM, I"ll give it a try ;)

I used AIM for awhile.. then tried out GAIM but didn't like it. I stuck with AIM for awhile.

Then I tried out Trillian and got Trillian Pro. I really liked it, especially chat logging. I used it for several months. It was a terrible resource hog though. So I tried out GAIM again because of the resources thing. I guess I didn't spend enough time setting up GAIM, because it does almost all the good things trillian did that I used. The only thing I miss about trillian is that I could dock the buddy list on the side of my screen so it would hide automatically, then mouse to the side and it would come up just like the task bar does.

so.. GAIM ftw.

I use Aim Ad Hack 4.14, which will automatically download and install AIM v5.9xx.

Highly recommended.

just thought i would comment on what i do. I have AIM version 5.3xxx, or something of the sort, and i use aimutation on it, but i never actually use it cause i have trillian. One thing trillian is stupidly unable to do is transfer directories, which AIM is capable of doing, so whenever i want to do get file, send file, i use the AIM utation version, otherwise its always trillian.

I am having a problem with staying logged onto AIM. For AIM version 5.9xx or the older aim ad-hack that uses AIM 5.9xx, also I remember having this problem with GAIM, I kept on getting disconnected every 20 or 30 minutes.

could it be the AIM servers? I know like last week everyone was getting disconnected, but I haven't been having problems since.

triton sucks. it lags like hell on the system in my sig, and it dosn't even look that great.

I use dead aim with aim 4.5 i believe and it works great.

What is complicated about Trillian? If that's not an option for some reason, than Gaim is even easier, and it's completely free.

ChingChang said:
Then I tried out Trillian and got Trillian Pro. I really liked it, especially chat logging. I used it for several months. It was a terrible resource hog though.
a lot of people say that. i dissagree. just kill off the extra plugins you don't use and you're set. i rarely see over 15mb of memory useage

Wow...let the misinformation fly. My Trillian Pro 3.1 is using 4.76 MB of memory. Memory hog? I think not.

It may be different for different people. Try not to label something you don't think is right as "misinformation".

(cf)Eclipse said:
a lot of people say that. i dissagree. just kill off the extra plugins you don't use and you're set. i rarely see over 15mb of memory useage
djnes said:
Wow...let the misinformation fly. My Trillian Pro 3.1 is using 4.76 MB of memory. Memory hog? I think not.

It is not a memory hog then. A lot of times CPU usage would go up way too high.
GAIM went up to 20mb peak, so I don't care about memory usage as much as CPU.

It was on an old Athlon XP 2800 that it would do this. I'd rather let FAH use those CPU cycles over Trillian...

For all you guys looking for aim 5.9 and not the trintion (sp) crap just go to aim.com and select download aim for windows ME and thats what you'll get :)

silverwolf0 said:
It may be different for different people. Try not to label something you don't think is right as "misinformation".
If it's the same software, it's memory usage will be roughly the same. Giving false reports about software that very well could solve the problem of the OP is, by definition, spreading misinformation. It's not like he said Trillian sucks because he doesn't like the UI. That's purely an opinion, rather than misinformation.

I only use MSN with gaim and i like it. its fast and not bloated. the nick only works for other people with gaim though, so my display name to others hasn't changed in 2 years

I kind of like Triton, it is slow to load and sort of a resource hog it seems, and it does crash randomly here and there, but it doesn't play those annoying fucking loud ads like the previous version of AIM did, and it isn't susceptible to IM viruses so far that I know of.

Trillian basic all the way. I can easily transfer files to regular aim users, skin it, chat with it, everything I need to do. I like the containers and stuff too. I'd say go with trillian. :cool:

Oh, and I HATE gaim and miranda and all them. They're too plain. I just hate them.

EDIT: I can't say much about Miranda cause I've never tried it. But I know for fact gaim sucks. I'll have to try miranda though.

GAIM kicks ass! The only down side other than it not having the AIM ads :p is that incoming text is often SMALL. Other than that it’s fine.

I have tried trillian, but it won’t import my IM clients each to their separate contact lists, its imports everyone in one big giant list. It also has a user limit and lacks several other features that apparently only I use. So I just stick with ICQ 2000B and GAIM. Not like system ram is as important now days when you are running 1-2GB worth :p

i didn't bother with the new aim either. i just downloaded a recent older version.

I don't think triton is too bad if you tweak it. You're able to turn everything off (ads, etc) and the interface is a little laggy with the aim catcher. I like the file transfer system and the sideways tabs. My biggest problem with it is that you have to minimize it if you're gaming because at least with my card (6800GT) there seems to be some sort of rendering/layer conflict.

I don't like trillian because it doesn't handle formatted text, profiles, etc well. Nice to skin, quick multi IM signon, etc.

Gaim = gay aim, with a plain, yet clunky and oversized interface and lack of file transfer support. I don't like the windows or the formatting.

Miranda, not enough features to make it usable for me at least. It worked for messages and had a small GUI footprint but felt nuetered to me.

I may go back to hacked 5.9, that seems to me to be the best if you don't need msn or icq, etc.

br0k3nman said:
Gaim = gay aim, with a plain, yet clunky and oversized interface and lack of file transfer support. I don't like the windows or the formatting.
You do not have to use the default options.
My interface is less "oversized and clunky" than AIM.

ChingChang said:
You do not have to use the default options.
My interface is less "oversized and clunky" than AIM.

I want icons in the menu, but not giant ones. When I used it a while ago, I don't know about newer versions I really didn't like it at all and didn't find that I could tweak it to my liking.

small icons :)
GAIM.jpg

don't know why they have big icons as default.

Over here in penguin land I use Kopete.. wish it would be ported to windows for on those rare occasions I have to use someone elses computer but nooo I get stuck with gaim.

Back