uTorrent has gone commercial

How do you define commercial? I just checked utorrent's webpage and it seems to be both free to download and ad-free. Hard to get less commercial than that.

All this extra App stuff, and version 3 is going to have video/audio streaming. Maybe I shouldn't of said commercial, I just like the direction they are going with it.

How do you define commercial? I just checked utorrent's webpage and it seems to be both free to download and ad-free. Hard to get less commercial than that.

it's now bundled with some app called conduit, it tries to make your default homepage conduit, and your browser's search engine conduit

Is it really that hard to click off the check box?

Do you use Java? I always have to click off extra install options there. It's somewhat annoying but you get a great product for the price of a few clicks... seems like a no brainer.

This sucks. Going to have to find a good alternative now if it did go commercial. If its just uncheckable ads at install then its alright.

All you have to do is uncheck the boxes...and if I remember correctly, it's been like that for awhile.

go find uTorrent 1.6 build 474

been using that one for years :p

All this extra App stuff, and version 3 is going to have video/audio streaming. Maybe I shouldn't of said commercial, I just like the direction they are going with it.

shouldn't have.
Come on, now.

When did kids stop reading?

meh its like we are really going to use it. is it just me or my internet but i've been getting barely any connection from peers lately...

Just uncheck...utorrent is the best out there. If it has been working for you, why try something different?

Untitled-1_3.jpg

I guess I don't really like this whole new App thing. I also unchecked everything.

Is it really that hard to click off the check box?

Do you use Java? I always have to click off extra install options there. It's somewhat annoying but you get a great product for the price of a few clicks... seems like a no brainer.

QFT. Especially for a free to download product.

Is it A/V streaming using P2P? I know there are some clients that do.

That would be cool.

It's getting bloated. I have no interest in this version 3. I switched from Bitcomet because uTorrent was less bloated.

............why don't you guys just use the old, setup-less version???? Seriously wtf lol

This is bad though, yeah.... many people will switch to something else now.

But to answer your question about alternatives.....When I was learning torrents I had Azuerues too (couldn't remember how to spell the damn name, but it has a blue frog logo and its free... or was free when I used it anyways. It might have turned into junk like utorrent has)

EDIT::: haha, they changed Azuerues to a much easier name, Vuze. Good job to them, that's probably why it was not popular since nobody could pronounce that shit! :D

Check it out on sourceforge http://www.google.com/search?q=Azuerues

This is why I keep all my installer files. I will know not to update then. ;)

Sucks how this happens a lot though. People get greedy.

I'll probably look into an alternative at some point though.

I just turned off all the new features. I like the new icons and tree organization for labels and rss feeds. The play button is also nice to have.

I don't see a problem here? :rolleyes:
The app studio installs are optional and most free software these days has toolbar/search engine crap you have to uncheck during the install anyway. No need to pass the tinfoil hats. :eek:
The software is free, they make $0 off it otherwise. So they agree to put in the Ask toolbar or Uniblue links (for instance) and they get paid for it. Good for them. People have families to take care of these days. Don't blindly click through installers and you won't have any surprises. ;)

I remember reading that it was bought by the RIAA or MPAA or someone a while back.
EDIT: Found an article. It was the MPAA. Alternatively, a quick google search brings up a multitude of other stuff on it. Either way, why risk it? Anyone have any suggestions on good alternative torrent clients? I've heard deluge is pretty awesome.

............why don't you guys just use the old, setup-less version???? Seriously wtf lol

This is bad though, yeah.... many people will switch to something else now.

But to answer your question about alternatives.....When I was learning torrents I had Azuerues too (couldn't remember how to spell the damn name, but it has a blue frog logo and its free... or was free when I used it anyways. It might have turned into junk like utorrent has)

EDIT::: haha, they changed Azuerues to a much easier name, Vuze. Good job to them, that's probably why it was not popular since nobody could pronounce that shit! :D

Check it out on sourceforge http://www.google.com/search?q=Azuerues

Is this a joke? Vuze is fucking terrible. Even when it was Azureus it was slow/buggy as hell. It's the torrent world's equivalent to Limewire.

I haven't received any notices to upgrade from my 2.0.4 to this new one. Turning off the auto update option now. Good thing I still have the old installer.

lol i personally know one of the coders for utorrent. the RIAA and MPAA do not own it. it has not gone commercial and yes i agree its gotten some what bloated but everything has gotten bloated. but thats why you have the option to update or not to update. so deal with it.

deluge has a long ways to go before its considered a good client Jon55. they seem to find a way to break things in every update.. every once in a while they actually get an update right though.

I haven't received any notices to upgrade from my 2.0.4 to this new one. Turning off the auto update option now. Good thing I still have the old installer.

they aren't forcing the 3.0 update in the auto updater... yet. not sure when they will but they may never force it.

Is this a joke? Vuze is fucking terrible. Even when it was Azureus it was slow/buggy as hell. It's the torrent world's equivalent to Limewire.

whole-heartedly agree. Bloated java POS.

Since everyone's worried about the direction μTorrent has taken: http://www.oldversion.com/uTorrent.html

this is the answer.

as I stated earlier, I'm still running uTorrent 1.6 with absolutely no issues.

why not use an old version? There's no reason not to.

I remember reading that it was bought by the RIAA or MPAA or someone a while back.
EDIT: Found an article. It was the MPAA. Alternatively, a quick google search brings up a multitude of other stuff on it. Either way, why risk it? Anyone have any suggestions on good alternative torrent clients? I've heard deluge is pretty awesome.

Deluge is banned from lots of private trackers.

I've been using Deluge for about a year now and never had an issue with it, so you might want to give it a try.

uTorrent was never bought by the MPAA. uTorrent was acquired by BitTorrent Inc (bittorrent.com). BitTorrent Inc had an agreement with the MPAA for the bittorent.com website. There is no connection with the MPAA and the uTorrent client itself.

There was so much paranoia and misinformation surrounding this when it first happened.

I am still on 1.6. I don't hardly ever use it anymore, but when I do use it to grab a TV show the older version seems to work just fine.

Deluge is banned from lots of private trackers.

I have always wondered at that. I keep hearing about one torrent app or another being banned by private trackers. I never really hear why, or have I had any bit torrent app I was using not work for a torrent.

Just installed uTorrent 2.2. I don't see anything commercial about it. I unchecked the optional install boxes (that have always been there) and it's ready to go.

I do like the new optional app store because I'll find out about new freeware programs I may never of heard of.

And by the way, you can go into options and uncheck to remove all of that extra stuff you don't want to see.

I havent used utorrent forever, i guess i will have to wait til when i leave campus to see what u mean

I updated to the new utorrent, got pissed at it within 30 seconds, and found my previous utorrent.exe to downgrade back to. Fuck that.
I'll stick with this version until/unless its banned at my private trackers.

I have always wondered at that. I keep hearing about one torrent app or another being banned by private trackers. I never really hear why, or have I had any bit torrent app I was using not work for a torrent.

Usually they're banned for issues with reporting to the tracker. Not being able to track all that stuff kinda makes the private sites pointless :p

How can a certain app be blocked? Dosen't the server simply see packets of whatever language bittorrent uses? If there's a header part of the protocol that says what client it is, can't it just be spoofed?

Who the hell installs uTorrent? I download the .exe and run it locally (no install) from a small partition. There are no boxes to uncheck. There's not conduit. My browser homepage didn't change.

uTorrent works just fine.

I don't see why people are getting so worked up over a few additions to the program. When it was launched, the idea was to create an extremely lightweight client that would run quickly on any system, even older ones. Among today's hex-core PC's with up to 12 GB of RAM, and SSD's for launching programs, even Limewire would run lightning fast. I think they're doing a fine job of keeping the bloat down to a good level as computers speed up. It's still extremely lightweight anyways. As previous posters have said, you can just uncheck boxes and even run without installing.

I've been running the newest version (2.2) for a good month now, and i must say its a very buggy version. Sometimes the icon in the taskbar will acually disappear and when i goto relaunch utorrent nothing happens. Low and behold when i check task manager this is because the .exe is indeed running, yet its impossible to get to. This happens about once a day, i'm running win 7 x64, i've never had issues with older utorrent programs and am going to take the advice in this thread and 'downgrade' (more like upgrade) to an older version. Just curious, has anyone else noticed this problem? I've found similar threads in the utorrent forums however the developer dismisses it and says something is wrong with windows and not utorrent (ya sure it is)

Back