uTorrent created DNS disconnect on my network?

Methadras

Supreme [H]ardness
So I torrent tv shows not from premium channels, just catch up on series i've missed from broadcast/cable networks and I use uTorrent to download them. I've noticed lately that if I grab a bunch of files at once, within a few minutes, my network goes down and I get an error that basically tells me that my connection can't talk to my network DNS server. I'm on Cox Cable, but I use OpenDNS. I'm not suspecting either, so I'm wondering if uTorrent is crapping out with too many connections and kicking my cable modem or my Asus RT-56U into this state? Anyone have this problem?

Thanks.

your router can't handle the number of connections torrenting generates.
not an application issue; a limitation of your router.

limit the number of connections within utorrent, or look to see if there is a DD-WRT or other opensource firmware that's compatible with your router.

Instead of just going randomly flashing device X, does your cable modem do NAT or does it act like a bridge? If does NAT you preferably want to bridge the connection instead (if possible), flashing your router wont do any good in this case. It'll probably help a lot if you disable UDP connections in your client including DHT and/or UTP.
//Danne

Flashing the router to a 3rd party firmware is a bandaid fix IMO. Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick two...

your router can't handle the number of connections torrenting generates.
not an application issue; a limitation of your router.

limit the number of connections within utorrent, or look to see if there is a DD-WRT or other opensource firmware that's compatible with your router.

Are you saying that my Asus RT56U can't handle some number of connections? What are they? Do you know? I don't, so that's why I'm asking. I'd rather not flash to dd-wrt and I don't think my router can anyway. Just trying to get a handle on maximizing download speed vs. the amount of connections that won't bork my router.

Instead of just going randomly flashing device X, does your cable modem do NAT or does it act like a bridge? If does NAT you preferably want to bridge the connection instead (if possible), flashing your router wont do any good in this case. It'll probably help a lot if you disable UDP connections in your client including DHT and/or UTP.
//Danne

It's one of the latest Motorola cable modems. Forget the model number, but I can look that up. Or are you asking of my router does NAT? it should, it's a little older, but it should have this capability.

Are you saying that my Asus RT56U can't handle some number of connections? What are they? Do you know? I don't, so that's why I'm asking. I'd rather not flash to dd-wrt and I don't think my router can anyway. Just trying to get a handle on maximizing download speed vs. the amount of connections that won't bork my router.

it's generally a limitation of the software/firmware.
The connection table is too small (relatively speaking) that connections created by torrenting are filling up the table, leaving no entries for additional connections (whether http, dns, etc)

I have no clue what size the table is, but it's honestly the most common cause of that issue.

Though, to verify if it is the router or modem, have you tried bypassing the router and seeing if the issue still persists?

Back