Utilize 10 Gbps connection between my NAS and my main machine, how to?

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi to all,

I have a very simple home network. I have a netgear nighthawk R7000 router connected to a small 1Gbps switch with 8 ports. I have about 10 wired devices, and about 20 wireless devices connected to different AP's. Between wired devices, the 1Gbps link is saturated. At first, I wanted to change the whole network into 10 Gbps network, but then I quickly realized it is not worth it as 10 GbE switches are still expensive and I won't really benefit from it across the whole board because of other limiting factors (Disk speeds and interface speeds...etc). Plus Big transfers almost only happen between my main machine--where I generate my files and download stuff--and my 1st NAS. So I decided to only upgrade the link between my machine and my NAS to 10 Gbps. My NAS is Synology DS1618+. Here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjI-6uT6s_uAhXiQhUIHTlxDVQQFjABegQIARAC&url=https://global.download.synology.com/download/Document/Hardware/DataSheet/DiskStation/18-year/DS1618+/enu/Synology_DS1618_Plus_Data_Sheet_enu.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3ofdRC7dbJOcKKfWkR360D

Of course, I intend to use SSD caching to help increase I/O performance for my NAS so that I'm not limited by the RAID array speed.

I can still probably do it with a 10 GbE switch if I get something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethe...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=TQP3NP5W5XVKT7DDWVS5&th=1

or this:

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Multi-Gigabit-Business-Switch-BS-MP2008/dp/B06XX4H997

and get 10 Gbps NIC's for both my main machine and my NAS but I want to explore other options. I can see that I can use sfp+ cards and link between my PC and NAS using DAC cables or fiber optic cables. I haven't done this before so I have got some questions.

In addition to installing the sfp+ cards and using the appropriate cable to create the link between the two devices, what sort of configurations are required? If the link work, will the other older link still work? I mean I will still want my PC and NAS to be ultimately hooked to the router for internet access. Will the two devices be a part of two different networks? I don't understand this really.

Also, the only card i could find for my Synology NAS that supports 10GbE and can be used to house two nvme ssd's is this one:

https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/E10M20-T1#features

Which has an RG-45 port which again means I will have to use a 10 Gbps switch. There is no card like it with sfp+ ports.

Do you see what I'm saying?

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just did this recently with 2.5Gbe nics. Both machines have Gigabit and 2.5Gbe. Gigabit is connected to a switch and 2.5Gbe is just a straight cable between them.
The settings for the 2.5Gbe cards I used were 192.168.100.1 on the PC and .2 on Server.
I then put 192.168.100.2 for the gateway on my the PC and .1 for the Server. I left the DNS blank on both.
This way both machines get regular gigabit access to the network and I get 2.5Gbe when copying between them.

I see what you are doing guys. Thanks. I think I now understand how to do with a switch. But I already have my 1Gbps network up and running so it is better to just do a direct connection between my main machine and my NAS. I think it is better for me to use a DAC cable or a fiber optic cable with sfp+ ports.

In this video:

at about 6:00 he talks about the normal 1Gbps network that provides internet. So, the direct connection between the two machines should just be plug and play and will work right away without any configuration, and will not disrupt the original network, right? It is just when you move files between the directly connected machines, you will see faster speeds, right?

The only feedback I have is that I have a DS1821+ with the 10GbE card and get pretty dang good performance - very happy I went 10GbE. I had four desktops that would benefit so it was more practical for me to invest in a switching network.

Is crossover cable direct connect an option?

The only feedback I have is that I have a DS1821+ with the 10GbE card and get pretty dang good performance - very happy I went 10GbE. I had four desktops that would benefit so it was more practical for me to invest in a switching network.

Is crossover cable direct connect an option?
So you changed all your network to 10GbE and replaced your old switch with a 10Gbps switch. Which switch did you use?

From what I know, crossover cable should work as well if you install 10 Gbps cards in the machines you want connected at 10 Gbps.

I see what you are doing guys. Thanks. I think I now understand how to do with a switch. But I already have my 1Gbps network up and running so it is better to just do a direct connection between my main machine and my NAS. I think it is better for me to use a DAC cable or a fiber optic cable with sfp+ ports.

In this video:

at about 6:00 he talks about the normal 1Gbps network that provides internet. So, the direct connection between the two machines should just be plug and play and will work right away without any configuration, and will not disrupt the original network, right? It is just when you move files between the directly connected machines, you will see faster speeds, right?

I am doing a direct connection for the 2.5Gbe NIC's in the machines, mainly due to cost as the cheapest switch was $130 I think.
I was going to get the switch as I was having issues getting it configured and using the 2.5 connection between the machines, it was defaulting to copy with the gigabit connection, but the members here helped me out and I got it configured and working with a direct connection.

2.5Gbe-copy.jpg

I am doing a direct connection for the 2.5Gbe NIC's in the machines, mainly due to cost as the cheapest switch was $130 I think.
I was going to get the switch as I was having issues getting it configured and using the 2.5 connection between the machines, it was defaulting to copy with the gigabit connection, but the members here helped me out and I got it configured and working with a direct connection.

View attachment 328949

Nice ! I will be in your shoes very soon. I will establish this direct connection. You used a normal crossover network cable, right?

Nice ! I will be in your shoes very soon. I will establish this direct connection. You used a normal crossover network cable, right?
You don't need a crossover cable anymore, just a straight normal cable. Gigabit introduced auto-mdx back in the day.

So you changed all your network to 10GbE and replaced your old switch with a 10Gbps switch. Which switch did you use?

From what I know, crossover cable should work as well if you install 10 Gbps cards in the machines you want connected at 10 Gbps.
Yes, I converted everything over to 10GbE. Since this coincided with putting up new access points in a new home (and I was going to use Ubiquity APs) I used the Ubiquity XG-6-POE switch. It was horrifically expensive for what it is. However it does work extremely well. I am seeing very solid transfers approaching 1GB/sec between PCs and with the Synology and am quite pleased with the setup, expense notwithstanding.

Back