Utah Firing Squad Death Announced on Twitter

I believe there is only one "real" bullet in the 5 guns used by the soldiers/marksmen. So the people who fire upon the inmate really don't know whether they killed him or not. I guess it helps keep the conscience clear?

IIRC 4 bullets, 1 blank. If you read the story one of the journalistss wrote who had witnessed it, he had said there were several holes in the wall behind him.

it's real easy to take a cold viewpoint on this until it's YOU or someone you know, that has been wrongly accused. Even one innocent person executed by the state is MURDER. plain and simple. There have been enough cases of innocents being freed due to new DNA testing or the fact that they were railroaded due to skin color, that the death penalty is NOT a viable option. Not in a modern society. What is the worth of an innocent man's life to you?

This fuckmuppet was guilty. Hell he even admit's that he DESERVES the punishment, but giving him a free ticket off this rock isn't punishing him, it's setting him free if you ask me.

Hell people get their panties all in a bunch when you hear of a Muslim nation punishing someone with capital punishment, but here? well they're OK with that, since it'll cost them some money--that is such hypocrisy.

I'd rather take a bullet than spend the rest of my days in lockup,and I bet there's alot of people who would agree, so there has to be a better option.

So you equate instagib as we do here, to stoning someone to death or sentancing a child to be raped by her husband? The fuck?
While innocent people do get executed, it is hardly the norm and seriously, if they or their lawyer couldn't prove it in the 20+ years they were on death row it can't be held against the state. They acted in good faith. Now if it was some crooked judge or something then hold him accountable and put him in his victims shoes.
In cases like this where their is video evidence and confessions, I say take the guy to the parking lot and fucking shoot him in the head and throw him in the trash.
Putting someone in jail for life is not punishment, as they will never be out of jail, thus will not learn from their actions. Save us the $$$ and off the bastard.

they need to bring back the gallows / beheading

so win

So you equate instagib as we do here, to stoning someone to death or sentancing a child to be raped by her husband? The fuck?
While innocent people do get executed, it is hardly the norm and seriously, if they or their lawyer couldn't prove it in the 20+ years they were on death row it can't be held against the state.

There were people who were executed in the late 70s who are only now being found innocent due to this newfangled technology we call DNA analysis.

I'd rather my tax dollars pay for those cheap bullets than to feed and shelter this douchebag for the rest of his life Good show.

Got that backwards.... Its a burtal but quick way to die. i would have gone out by lethal injection. Its painless as they knock you out and load you up with painkillers until your heart stops. I think people should have the right to choose how they die. I also think there should be more options. Maybe something poetic such as drinking of poison. For telling lies or using riotous or hate speech. Stoning for getting stoned and going on a murderous rampage. Buried and crushed in pennies for robbing a bank and committing murder. And if you break a deal you face the wheel! ;)

What do you suggest?
What if this guy killed your sister or brother? How would you feel then.

Justice should be fair and swift. If death is an option then so be it.

What if the guy on death row was your brother or sister? See what I did there?

Its easy to be pro death penalty when it has no bearing on your life but what if the one accused is your loved one. Surely you wouldn't want to see them executed.

Justice should be fair but it isn't always and if it happens to be too swift and a mistake was made then what? Why even have that as a risk? Could you imagine if your wrongfully accused loved one was executed only to find out evidence has been discovered that would have exonerated them? Not a likely situation no, but it can/has happened.

What if the guy on death row was your brother or sister? ...
Its easy to be pro death penalty when it has no bearing on your life but what if the one accused is your loved one. Surely you wouldn't want to see them executed.

Umm, if he was guilty of the murders most of these guys are, I would gladly be a fireman for his execution.

1. I don't know if I could kill another person like that.
2. Updating twitter about something like this just feels wrong.

The only penalty with a 0% recidivism rate, performed using a simple, highly reliable method at little cost to the taxpayer. I am good with this.

Death Penalty is by no means a money saver. Capital punishment costs money and lots of it.

it's real easy to take a cold viewpoint on this until it's YOU or someone you know, that has been wrongly accused. Even one innocent person executed by the state is MURDER. plain and simple. There have been enough cases of innocents being freed due to new DNA testing or the fact that they were railroaded due to skin color, that the death penalty is NOT a viable option. Not in a modern society. What is the worth of an innocent man's life to you?

This fuckmuppet was guilty. Hell he even admit's that he DESERVES the punishment, but giving him a free ticket off this rock isn't punishing him, it's setting him free if you ask me.

Hell people get their panties all in a bunch when you hear of a Muslim nation punishing someone with capital punishment, but here? well they're OK with that, since it'll cost them some money--that is such hypocrisy.

I'd rather take a bullet than spend the rest of my days in lockup,and I bet there's alot of people who would agree, so there has to be a better option.

Yeah its pretty fucked up how how many innocent people have been sentenced to death, sat on death row for decades only to be let free. Thats enough proof to say system is too flaws to be executing people. Kinda fucked up if you think about how many innocent people were sentenced to death and actually put to death. Too bad we don't go back doing DNA testing on people who have already been put to death, it'd be pretty great to prove someone's was innocent and put to death, then get go find the jury members and let them know they killed an innocent man. ;).

Anyways, I'm pretty against the death penalty at the moment because its so obviously flawed. Its pretty much would you rather kill some guilty people, instead of having them to go to jail for the rest of their life, at the cost of also having to kill some innocent people.

I don't think its really wrong to kill a guilty person, but our system is just too flawed to do it.

Indeed.
We need to shorten the appeals process.
This guy essentially tried every appeal in the book. I think the last one he tried was saying the death penalty violated his civil rights.

How about the people he murdered? In 1984 no less. He's 26 years past his expiration as it stands.
All of these methods, injection, firing squad, electrocution are way too kind.
The murderer should die in the same fashion as the victim. (In this case being shot was the same way, but you get my point).

We spend way too much money on criminals and get nothing in return. They rarely do road work anymore. Maybe a few license plates, and they get paid to do so.

There have been 138 people exonerated from death row since 1973, and you want to shorten the appeals process? That's 138 innocent people that we nearly killed!

Do people really buy that the marksmen cannot tell who is firing the real bullets, and who is firing a blank? Anyone who has ever fired a blank and a real ammunition would instantly know.

There is no excuse for killing people even if you think they are guilty.
Just because someone is convicted, does not mean they really did it.
It just means a few people thought they did it.
These days it's way too easy to stir up a mob mentality about these things.
If you have a hand in killing someone who's innocent, you are a murderer or an accomplice to it. Doesn't matter what side of the law you're on.

"Saving tax payer money", is also no excuse. The reason it costs so much to throw people in jail is for one reason only. We don't make them earn their keep! If we're going to have jails, then they need to be geared toward producing something worthwhile, not having people stand around doing nothing.

My favorite quote in all this is the one that said, of the killing of people later found innocent, "they acted in good faith." So they killed somebody in good faith. Tell that one to the victims families. What does that even mean? "I thought it was OK"?

Killing people is either legal or not. You can't have it both ways. Morally I can think of one reason, self-defence. That's it. There is no "(he/she) deserved it" argument, and pure and simple that's what captial punishment is based on.

Do people really buy that the marksmen cannot tell who is firing the real bullets, and who is firing a blank? Anyone who has ever fired a blank and a real ammunition would instantly know.

I'm not sure if it really matters. If a gunner was in agony over whether or not he killed someone, then he'd convince himself that he fired the blank; logic and reasoning go out the window when people get emotional and they'd grasp onto anything to make themselves feel better.

They don't even need a blank round; they just need to tell the gunners that someone might have one.

I agree metzlerd.

Personally, I don't believe that my government should be in the business of murder.

I agree metzlerd.

Personally, I don't believe that my government should be in the business of murder.

But they should at least be allowed to defend the public?

There is no excuse for killing people even if you think they are guilty.
Just because someone is convicted, does not mean they really did it.

Killing people is either legal or not. You can't have it both ways. Morally I can think of one reason, self-defence. That's it.

For the most part I agree with your arguments on the death penalty, but you're missing something here about this man.

He murdered people, of this there is no doubt. He murdered unarmed defenseless people. Of this there is no doubt.

But Michael Burrell would have still have defended Ronnie Lee Gardner for his actions. But he could not. Why? Because Ronnie murdered him!

I find it odd that Ronnie's grand-daughter or some other family member said they feel like they've lost their best friend. Do they really not understand that had Ronnie been told that he could indeed have his freedom back, all he had to do was kill his grand-daughter, that Ronnie would have grabbed the gun and shot his grand-daughter dead before they even had a chance to finish their offer?

Ronnie was a threat to everyone, inside the prison and out. He had tried to escape before multiple times, and had displayed that he was willing to kill anyone, friend or foe, armed or not, to gain his freedom.

Even by your own stance, it was morally justified to execute him, as it is defending us all against a brutal murderer who, given the chance, would still attempt to escape and take any life in the process...

Regardless of if that life actually stood in his way of his freedom, or was just a friend in the wrong place at the wrong time...

I can't take seriously anyone's attempt to make Ronnie the posterboy of what's wrong with our system of capital punishment. I'm sure Michael Burdell would have gladly explained to us all his beliefs, but Ronnie murdered him!

My only issue with the death penalty is that a number of innocent people have been killed. But I am also against letting pieces of shit sit in jail for the rest of their lives while tax payers foot the bill. So I am a bit torn :(

This is how I feel also.

There are some cases that are too iffy to convict in my opinion.

Look at Brian Nichols in Georgia. He killed people on camera in a court room. He then proceeded to use more tax payer money for his trial than any other trial in the state of Georgia.

I know it is a walking a fine line with the Constitution, but he should have been given a minimum "fair trial" and just walked out back and executed.

In some cases though I would have trouble even convicting. I watch those shows with my wife about murder mysteries. One is called Snapped (women killing their husbands). In most of these cases I would have trouble as a juror convicting if there are no eye witness accounts. It just seems that a spouse is a convenient person to target. Can you imagine if you spouse was murdered, the person whom you would protect and love no matter what, and then you get painted at taxpayer expense as the evil person who would kill that person?

I hate district attorneys almost as much as defense attorneys.

I agree metzlerd.

You might not like it, but it is perfectly justified under the Constitution.

5th Admendment..
"...nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;"

As long as due process of law is followed by the goverment, either state or federal, they do have the right to deprive someone of their life .

This has been upheld by the supreme court. While the standard is usually Murder or Capital Murder, I think the states should be allowed to extend the death penalty to lesser violent crimes, to include rape, and any sexual acts involving a young child etc..

Back