UT3 to be 'TWIMTP'

Unreal Tournament 2004 was "The Way Its Meant To Be Played" as well. It's all about defraying steep development costs. It doesn't bother me. Nor does ATI's seldom used program.

The annoying thing is nvidia have a nasty habit of 'optimized drivers' for TWIMTBP games. Recently, Lost Planet benchmark

Well, considering the lackluster performance of ATi's latest part, perhaps Nvidia really is "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" :p? Really though, I have no allegiance to either side but is sponsorship really something to get all bent out of shape over?

As for Lost Planet, it seems Nvidia was able to use their muscle to get an early copy of the benchmark so they could optimize their drivers before the demo hit. Sure that sucks for ATi, but personally I see that as Nvidia doing it's customers a solid.

Looking at recent nvidia driver quality I don't think it's fair to say they're doing their customer a huge favour. IIRC how long did it take for a Vista driver for the G80 series? etc. Overall it's good for the userbase, they get to play their games with their cards best potential but I don't think this is what nvidia has in mind when they make these special drivers.

Well yeah, I think for them the most important part is that their dick look bigger than ATi's, but if in the process their users don't have to suffer through artifacting and horrendous performance then I'm sure they view that has a huge positive.

As for the Vista situation, I wouldn't know. I also have no idea how well ATi is doing in that department either. I don't intend on switching to Vista for at least 6 more months so it doesn't really affect me.

ya i know, i figured that out from the article/posts above :p just wondering what it's spose to do?

Just advertising. As in, if you want to see the game the way it was meant be seen, with all the graphical bells and whistles, play it on Nvidia. At least, that's what their slogan implies.

first thing i do is remove that little ad at the beginning of games.

I DONT FUCKING THINK SO.

Yeah... all you gotta do in UT2k4 is edit the first level thats loaded in the ini file, and you skip all that crap anyway, so I'm hoping it will be just as easy to edit stuff in UT3. I dont really care if it effects performance, seeing as how I'll have everything turned down anyway.

I am not sure I understand. The website says it will be DX10 but some people are posting on that site that its not Vista required. How does this work now?

I suppose this means they are planning on releasing it someday.

LOL, exactly my thoughts :)
I still want to play it, but as I said before, I won't buy it as soon as its out, as a protest to what Epic and other companies, have been doing lately, in regards to the console over PC matter.

The annoying thing is nvidia have a nasty habit of 'optimized drivers' for TWIMTBP games. Recently, Lost Planet benchmark

Crazy isn't it. I mean...why any company would expend resources to allow their card to perform better with games to get a leg up on their competitor is beyond me. The fact that ATI doesn’t do the same thing is really quite dumb. It is like racecar driver who refuses to get track time before the official test laps and race occur because they want to be “purists”. Sorry…purity is good for water…not so good for performance.

Whats the problem with a hardware company optimizing drivers for a specific game? If the developers optimized the game for a specific line of cards, that would be a different story...but should nvidia clear every driver upgrade with ati just to make sure it doesn't give them an unfair advantage?

Back