UT3 for PS3 impressions.

I picked up a copy of it earlier today and have been playing deathmatch online most of the evening. I haven't played CoD4 yet, but so far, this is the top multiplayer game I've played on the PS3.

The menu system works well. It's simple, but you can customize what type of match you want to join with some filtering options. It does the right stuff, for now, but it may end up quite limited with mods down the line.

Joining games is easy enough with a quick match feature, but the biggest problem (it's release day, so take this with a grain of salt) is the complete lack of servers. At one point there was NO ONE playing capture the flag, and I've yet to see more than 20 deathmatch servers running at any one time. PST people haven't gotten off work yet, but I thought there would be more support.

The sixaxis actually does quite a good job with UT3. KB/M will always be more precise, but the sticks aren't bad. Jumping, aiming, and moving around are easy enough, but turning a sharp corner is slow. I have been able to win quite a few games with the PS3 controller, so currently you aren't at a disadvantage using it.

The UT3 engine really brings it to life, but there were some problems with clipping on the Shangri'la map. Models, weapons, and animations all look great; the textures on walls in some levels could use some work. The graphics are good, but the sound with a good surround system (no HTIB garbage) is just amazing and some of the best I've ever heard from a console game.

I was just coming into post this topic....lol

I forgot that it came out today and just remembered, so I am going to gamestop to pick up my reserved copy.

Did you play it with a keyboard and mouse? If anyone can give me some impressions of UT3 with a Keyboard and mouse on the PS3, then please let me know. As in, if key mapping works the same as I assume the Pc does, and how it works... etc.

Also, if anyone has any tips on playing with a keyboard and mouse on a couch. Hand positions can be complicated I imagine.

Did you play it with a keyboard and mouse? If anyone can give me some impressions of UT3 with a Keyboard and mouse on the PS3, then please let me know. As in, if key mapping works the same as I assume the Pc does, and how it works... etc.

Also, if anyone has any tips on playing with a keyboard and mouse on a couch. Hand positions can be complicated I imagine.

I tried a KB/M too. Unless you have a table or something to set them on, don't try it; it's just far too awkward. BUT anyone with some half-decent skill with a KB/M could own on the servers out now.

Temptation rising....rising..rising! But I gotta resist until exams are over, and for some reason it's $70 while every other game is $60 for the PS3. What's up with that?

Do they have options so you can you setup your own dedicated server?

Temptation rising....rising..rising! But I gotta resist until exams are over, and for some reason it's $70 while every other game is $60 for the PS3. What's up with that?

Courtesy of CAG

bestbuy1tp1lh2.jpg

Ah I should have mentioned that I'm in Canada. Also, how would one use the coupon you posted?

Wait wait wait, you can play UTIII on the PS3 WITH a KB/M combo?!?:D:D:D:D:D:D
Must...........Get..........PS3............NOW!!!!!

Someone lend me $600 NOW!! I'll pay you back.................next year.

Just get a tv tray or one of those lapboards and you're all set. Assuming of course you use wireless mouse/kb or have long cords on each.:D

seriously though...if I were going to do that then I would just save myself the trouble and get the pc version.

Got my copy at BB. Look what we have here, is that mouse keyboard support I see :D

p1010421jl3.jpg

So my biggest concern about this game on the PS3 is the M&KB support. If it lacks then I'm going to pick it up for PC, but can anyone confirm if it feels like using a M&KB on a PC? If I were to bring my PS3 into my office and set it up on my PC monitor and plug in the keyboard and mouse, would it feel the same?

Played a bit, even hosted a couple games, I haven't figured out how to change maps on the fly yet. Mouse keyboard support seems pretty solid ( all mouse functions work, including the ability to adjust dpi on the fly via a MX518) For you gamepad users out there, you'll be happy to hear that there is an option to disallow mouse and keyboard users from joining a game you are hosting. I'm running at 1920x1080p upscaled , game is VERY fluid and I have little to complain about in regards to the sound and graphic department. One more thing, I noticed there's online co-op for the campaign

Reminds me of playing Quake 3 on the Dreamcast with the Sega Keyboard and mouse. I would get under my table, unplug the monitor from the desktop and plug it into the VGA adapter. Don't have the VGA adapter anymore but I still have the mouse and keyboard.

have a di novo edge and mx revolution, i just use the mouse one the sofa and the keyboard is also on the sofa, i sit with my feet up, majorly chilled out when playing fps games, if you have a decent kb, mouse and sofa u dont require a desk or tray!

How does it compare to Warhawk? I don't have a PS3, but new, good games for it make me more likely to buy one in the future.

How does it compare to Warhawk? I don't have a PS3, but new, good games for it make me more likely to buy one in the future.

Its just different than Warhawk. Apples to Oranges.

UT3 is definitely a great playing DM game on the PS3. ANd the mouse/KB support is a godsend.

Warhawk will still be spinning on my PS3 too though, its still very fun in its own right.

I played about 3 matches last night against the bots just to see how it feels before I went to bed, and its pretty cool...I have alot to learn about the guns and such (only ever played UT2003 a couple rounds). Its pretty cool, usually I don't like DM style games but hopefully this one will keep me entertained because of mods and such :)

Its just different than Warhawk. Apples to Oranges.
I meant more in the sense of "if you had to choose one, which would you choose?" Sort of like "if I could only have COD4 or Halo 3, which would I pick?" (I haven't played either, so I wouldn't know).

I just got my PS3 yesterday (80GB). I was purchasing it, when a guy in front of me bought UT3 for PS3. I had to have it so I bought it. I would say KB/M is a bit to weird, but you could own if you got everything setup right.

Keyboard/mouse on the couch is easy with tray tables. Just go to Target and buy two wooden TV tray tables for $10 each. Set the keyboard on one and get an oversized mousepad for the other. I've been playing PC shooters on the couch for the last 5-6 months and have had a good time with that set-up. If you like it, you might invest in some better ones. I'm now using a pair of these: http://www.tablemate2.com/
They're nice because you can scoot them under your couch and customize how high/low/slanted they are.
I would happily own people using my set-up, but I've had the PC version for a few weeks and really don't want to buy the same game twice. Still, it's an easy set-up to pull off. Just curious - do most wireless mice work with the PS3?

Keyboard/mouse on the couch is easy with tray tables. Just go to Target and buy two wooden TV tray tables for $10 each. Set the keyboard on one and get an oversized mousepad for the other. I've been playing PC shooters on the couch for the last 5-6 months and have had a good time with that set-up. If you like it, you might invest in some better ones. I'm now using a pair of these: http://www.tablemate2.com/
They're nice because you can scoot them under your couch and customize how high/low/slanted they are.
I would happily own people using my set-up, but I've had the PC version for a few weeks and really don't want to buy the same game twice. Still, it's an easy set-up to pull off. Just curious - do most wireless mice work with the PS3?

Not sure, I'll try my G7 tonight and shoot you a PM. I was using a MX518 for UT3. That TV tray is a good idea, friend of mine has been using a bean bag with one of those bed in breakfest tables. I think JohnleMVP has a bluetooth keyboard/mouse setup with his PS3

I too am curious if my MS bluetooth mouse and keyboard will work with the PS3/this game.

Just get a tv tray or one of those lapboards and you're all set. Assuming of course you use wireless mouse/kb or have long cords on each.:D

seriously though...if I were going to do that then I would just save myself the trouble and get the pc version.

the point is to save yourself the trouble of using the PC version...

also, the PS3 versions supports mods, as long as the modder makes a version that has been "exported to PS3" available. which basically entails pushing a button that makes it compatible.

I just got done playing a few levels of it and its pretty smooth everywhere you go. Im gonna plug in my g15 next time round though.. the MX5000 isnt doing so hot.. at least not the keyboard. Man.. First it was TF2.. now i got into hellgate london.. and now this!? I need a 40 hour day.

Those tablemates are super handy for anyone playing keyboard/mouse games on your couch. If you have a Bed Bath & Beyond or Linen's 'n Things in your area - they sell them there. Yes, I'm married and domesticated :) I bought mine for $25 each. It's not cheap...but I don't think there's a better set-up possible without custom building something for yourself. I bought an oversized mousepad that actually looks custom-fit for one, too.
In terms of a keyboard/mouse combo that works well - I'm using this one:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard_mice_combos/devices/140&cl=us,en
It's the MX 3200 Laser. There are other ones, but this one had BY FAR the best mouse of any combo set I found. It's got 8 buttons and tilt. The keyboard also has a lot of functionality I never use, too. I haven't tested it with my PS3 yet, but it's a killer wireless combo if it does.

Got bored playing DM, So far CTF, and Warfare is a riot. Reminds me of the fun I had during the TF2 beta days. Midway setup a couple dedicated servers for each game type. DM, Team DM, CTF, Vehicle CTF, & Warfare

Are the servers picking up yet? Im interested in picking it up as I was a huge UT fan back in my PC gaming days, but Im addicted to CoD4 now and I am wondering if theres enough people playing to make it a worthwhile purchase, as I've heard that the PC version hasnt been selling too well.

people using the tablemate, is there enough room for a complete keyboard and mouse w/ mousepad on that? looks kinda small...

people using the tablemate, is there enough room for a complete keyboard and mouse w/ mousepad on that? looks kinda small...

Nope. I bought 2 of them for this reason. One for the keyboard and one for the mouse. The Tablemate width is just barely enough for a keyboard. It has a little lip running around the edges, and my keyboard's edges touch that lip.
I hunted around for a while looking for something bigger, but there just isn't anything that I could find. Get one of those Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off coupons and go grab two of them when they're running a store-wide sale. You can stack discounts there, so I ended up paying about $20 each for mine.

Are the servers picking up yet? Im interested in picking it up as I was a huge UT fan back in my PC gaming days, but Im addicted to CoD4 now and I am wondering if theres enough people playing to make it a worthwhile purchase, as I've heard that the PC version hasnt been selling too well.

I believe COD4 has a larger following on PSN. Although, I'm just speculating since I have the pc version of COD4. As I stated earlier, there are dedicated servers setup by midway. You have the option of setting up a listen or dedicated server through the UT3 GUI as well.

finally got a copy tonight.
looks incredible, silky smooth framerate.

plenty of servers, and fast loading times once installed to the HD.

loving the mouse/kb support.

Back