UT3 failure is the fault of pcgaming, not epic.

UT3 is AAA?

• Yes

Votes: 47 17.3%
  • No

Votes: 225 82.7%

• Total voters

AfterAnn

Limp Gawd
Yea sure :rolleyes:

I think the PC is just in disarray... What's driving the PC right now is Sims-type games and WOW and a lot of stuff that's in a web-based interface. You just click on it and play it. That's the direction PC is evolving into

----------------

Is he pretending UT3 is AAA or they are now making AAA games?

For me, the PC is kind of the secondary part of what we're doing," confirmed Bleszinski. "It's important for us, but right now making AAA games on consoles is where we're at

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=92707

Yea, pretty upsetting to read that, I have a 360, and had every console before it regardless of manufacturer. (I just havent bought a PS3 yet) own a wii too. I play PC more then anything else. I Prefer my games on PC, especially multiplayer games. Sure its nice to sit on your couch in front of a big TV, but I also enjoy sitting in front of my PC and using my keyboard and mouse. Been playing 2k4 since its release, and am really disapointed with UT3...

UT3 has done NOTHING to push the envelope or even offer an exciting alternative to what is available elsewhere. That's why it failed. After some initial interest, it is now bombing on PS3 as well. Nothing technically wrong with it, it's just past its day.

ya i spent about 3 hours playing UT3 and uninstalled.

it was also the first game i got after i built my new computer and it looked amazing but, played COD4 at a friends picked it up on the way home and never looked back at UT.

Xenozx , i play my PC in my living room. keyboard on my lap. took a tray type thing with a bean bag bottom and glued it to a mouse pad. when i have people over i just take the monitor off the coffee table and set it beside the couch. the monitor is a little bit farther away then normal so got a 24 inch monitor and now it is perfect. sit down on the couch and relax play my PC games, watch TV.

my only complaint is if i let go of my mouse, it slides off the mouse pad.

being single and no kids helps too.

I'm going to take a wild guess here and assume the majority of people who say UT3 "failed" because of x reason by the fault of epic (crappy interface? When you are actually playing the game... you know, the gameplay part? WTF DOES THAT MATTER? TELL ME, REALLY) would also say that a VALVE game called Team Fortress 2, is innovative, new, a masterpiece etc etc.

If so, that removes any credibility from their opinion on this UT3 debate.

Think about it.

(crappy interface? When you are actually playing the game... you know, the gameplay part? WTF DOES THAT MATTER? TELL ME, REALLY)

UT2k4 had one of the best interface/menu ever made. As PC gamer, I think we expect better menu/interface than a one made for non-mouse users.

I think maybe I've racked up 10 hours playing online.

I've spent far more time watching the tutorial vids, and messing around with the editor. But then I realised that the online community is so small that custom content isn't worth building, certainly not full scale mods.

I don't know, we play UT3 at our monthly LAN parties and my clan has a server that we play on once a week and we all enjoy playing it a lot. CoD4 and the BF series are great games, too, but there are times I want to play straight up DM and when I want that, the UT series games are what I always go back to. Yeah, there's not a ton new in UT3 except the graphics and the console first thing saddens me, but I still like the game just fine. Of course, I don't play FPS much anymore. I play RPG's more then anything else.

UT3 is just buggy crap. It's a castrated Unreal Tournament. Why did I spend $42 on that POS? I don't know :(

UT3 sucked. Deal with it Cliffy. You took a great product and ran it into the ground, just like id.

i did not buy UT3 based solely on the feedback from these forums.. i enjoyed the demo but it's not worth it for the current price it's selling at with little community support or even players for that matter.

who is CliffyB??? I would rather listen to what Will Wright has to say about the PC. There is a man who has been innovating for over a decade on the PC. What has CliffyB done again???

What has CliffyB done again???

I think he made some game called Gears of War. I think it was a real cult hit.

People saying UT3 bombed saddens me. I was gonna pick it up on 360 since I don't have a high-end PC anymore, but now I don't know....

I have so many fond memories of ut2k4 [sigh]

i did not buy UT3 based solely on the feedback from these forums.. i enjoyed the demo but it's not worth it for the current price it's selling at with little community support or even players for that matter.

Totaly agree. At 20$, I'd buy it. Not at the current price. It's not AAA game so it can't be sold as the price of one.
UT3 is more a value game.

I bought this game a few weeks after release and it didn't even leave its UPS package until last week. And even though I've finally taken the game out of the UPS box, I haven't actually opened up the game box itself. I guess it didn't help my interest reading about people's negativity on this game in any facet possible. The demo was enjoyable to me, simply just playing the bots. Reminded me of the fast paced action of quake 2 in my early college years. That's why I bought it in the first place.

Unfortunately with all the triple A console titles that came out around release time of UT3, it was hard to convince myself to actually play this.

Of course it's a AAA title, with flaws. The hardware requirements are much steeper than Epic lead everyone to believe a couple of years ago (6800GT/Ultra). You need to turn down the quality and resolution too much with even modern mainstream gaming cards. That's a huge difference vs UT 2003/2004 which looked OK and played OK with even very modest hardware.

I do like the game and in a year or two mainstream gaming cards should be able to handle UE3 games much better. Lot of good that does for right now. :p

I bought it in Dec. Played maybe 12hrs total and I haven't touched it since. The community is too small and the gameplay isn't compelling. It really was a let down from UT2k4.

With Epic going to consoles. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. If you are going to throw a tantrum when your game sells like dirt then you are better off somewhere that doesn't know your great track record leading up to this.

We've got plenty of games that have better gameplay that came out last year that faired much better than you. STALKER and The Witcher (over 600k copies sold) come to mind.

The hardware requirements are much steeper than Epic lead everyone to believe a couple of years ago (6800GT/Ultra).

I have all settings maxed on UT3 @ 1680x1050 with rig in sig... I would consider my box mid range, far from "bleeding edge" 4GHz quad core / 4GB RAM / tri-SLi 8800 Ultras.

UT3 gets such a bad rep from people who never played it, or certainly haven t spent any amount of time with it. IMHO, UT3 is a lot of fun, there are plenty of active players on multiple servers at any given time for each of the various game play types (deathmatch, team deathmatch, capture the flag, vehicle capture the flag, warfare), and the "painful" interface is gone and forgotten after the 30 seconds it takes to find the desired game type / server size.

the whole interface thing is really a dead horse...

I would say there are many players like myself who tried out the demo and were unimpressed enough to shell out full price for a game that seems like UT2004 with a makeover.

I got it for Christmas and I still can't get it to run. I complained on the Epic forums and they banned me for "working with another troll". All emails to their webmaster have been ignored.

The game's interface and design is utterly horrid. Just look at their bug list:
http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=590466

I was encountering the "constant key-reentry" and "openAL crashes". They have a huge ass forum filled with people complaining but all they do is ban people that complain and never help anyone.

Fuck Epic. Fuck UTIII.

I have all settings maxed on UT3 @ 1680x1050 with rig in sig... I would consider my box mid range, far from "bleeding edge" 4GHz quad core / 4GB RAM / tri-SLi 8800 Ultras.
You have a better video card than 95% of the people on the Steam survey (counting that the 8800GT is better than the original 8800GTS models), so it's not really mainstream. There are multiple times more people running PC games with cards having less than 1/2 the performance of the 8800GT. Those with the 7800/7900/8600/X19x0-performance level cards are the mainstream.

And that's really the problem with PC gaming. On a $300-$400 console, you have the hardware to play games through the whole life span of it, and the games keep getting better looking and faster. On the PC, you need (at least) a $200+ card every other year just to keep up with cutting edge games without significantly degrading visual quality.

I am not a console gamer and there are many types of games that I like that just don't play the same on consoles. IOW, it's not a compelling option to replace PC gaming for me. But the direction that PC games need to go to stay updated is keeping the systems needed to run it priced out of reach of the mainstream. If you look at the actual graphics capabilities of the current gen of consoles, it's a pretty sad statement for PC gaming inefficiency especially in the last 2 years.

BTW, I didn't buy the game because the demo ran poorly on my system. But I have played it many times. I might pick it up when it hits under $20.

I would say there are many players like myself who tried out the demo and were unimpressed enough to shell out full price for a game that seems like UT2004 with a makeover.

Actually, if UT3 had been basically UT2k4 with graphics updated to current standards, and maybe one or two additional game types, and had retained 2k4's game types and menu system, it would have been better received imho. I certainly would be playing it and recommending it at least. Not that my opinions as a non-console player mean anything to Cliffy and the boys at Epic.

UT2k4 had one of the best interface/menu ever made. As PC gamer, I think we expect better menu/interface than a one made for non-mouse users.

I heard UT2k4 sold 4 million, so why/how did they screw up UT3 so bad?

I think they did it on purpose because they are Microsoft's bitch now. They purposely made UT3 fail to make the Xbox 360 look good. Everything they say now is just MS Xbox buttkissing and shouldn't be taken seriously by the PC community.

PC gaming is still number one. WoW has 10 million subscribers. Steam has 15 million subscribers. Crysis sold over a million copies despite having extraordinarily high hardware requirements. Even a small budget, little publicized game like Sins of a Solar Empire can do fairly well.

I really do not understand the hate towards the game. Can we get some reasons as to why it sucked? Looking through the thread, I see everyone bashing on it with no backup.

When I find time, I enjoy playing it TBH.

I know that this is an old thread, but since someone linked to it on another forum (a UT forum), so I thought I'd chime in and offer you the perspective of a hardcore UT fan.

The UT3 game play itself is fundamentally good. In fact, fans of the Original UT (UT99) who had disliked UT 2004 liked the game play of the UT3 Demo and they had looked forward to playing the full game. They didn't like the server browser or user interface (or a host of other things) in the Demo but they also knew that it was a hurriedly-released Demo. When they found out that the "Beta Demo" = "Full retail game" they lost interest and went back to playing their UT99 Capature-the-Flag pickup-game matches, which they still play to this day.

What was wrong with UT3? Basically, everything that surrounded the game play itself was bad. UT3 had a horde or problems which had little to do with the game play itself but involved the access to that game play:

1. Server browser. At retail release, the server browser was almost non-functional and featureless. I'm pretty sure that it didn't even have a list for server Favorites (!!!). Instead it had a Recent Servers tab or some such (that barely worked anyway).

2. User Interface. Aside from offering relatively few customization and optimization options it's slow and clunky. What once took 5 seconds in UT99 and UT 2004 could take 2 minutes in UT3.

(You're in a server...you want to check on activity in another server. In UT99 and UT 2004 you could do this in about 5 seconds. In UT3 you have to leave the server, then wait for the user interface to load the background map/main menus, then open the server browser, and then go back to the server you were playing on before.)

Also, you cannot keybind taunts and communication in UT3.

3. Poor handling of custom map auto-downloads. Maybe this has been fixed with a patch, but when a map that you don't have loaded onto a server you'd just get disconnected instead of having the map auto-download for you.

4. Map vote menu is horrible and nothing compared to what UT 2004 or even UT99 has had for years (albeit perhaps in the form of mods).

5. The voice taunts are awful. They should have just recycled the best taunts from the previous UT games.

6. Having to log into Gamespy (whose server is down some of the time) to play online was a bad idea.

7. Few decent-looking skins are available (thought his is really a nitpicky side issue).

8. The graphics are a little too washed out and dreary. (Did it get the Gears of War treatment?)

9. The game could have benefited from having more game types (Invasion, Assault, UT99-style Domination, Bombing Run).

That is far from an exhaustive list. Anyway, when you add it all up, although UT3 might have fun game play, just about everything that surrounds it is rotten.

UT3 was okay for what it was supposed to be. It was pretty much just a graphical update for the previous games...and that's really all it was.
I personally just got bored of all of the "mission" style levels and the ones that focus on controlling points on the map. If you're going old school - I'd rather see it be akin to what Quake 3 was.

I think the biggest failing of UT3 was the fact that the engine was named after it. So far, of the multitide of games that have used that engine, UT3 has been the worst. If anything, you could've called it the "Gears" engine and taken some pressure off.

I don't think it sucked, but it wasn't any better than a "C"

LOL

the developer blaming the platform for its failure... wow, thats something new

I would have accepted he blamed consoles for the failures of UT3, after all their design for this game revolved around the console platform.

LOL

the developer blaming the platform for its failure... wow, thats something new

I would have accepted he blamed consoles for the failures of UT3, after all their design for this game revolved around the console platform.

Well, it could still end up doing okay on the 360. I really, really doubt it...but it'll be coming out at a point when people should be pretty tired of CoD4 and it's not really competing with anything else. A few tweaks could make it a huge hit.

I play UT3 online here and there and still enjoy it. I found a few good servers and saved them as favorites and downloaded some custom maps and usually play them. As bad as the online population is for UT3 it's better than it was several months ago but it's still not good. As long as I have some servers that I can play on I don't care. When UT2k4 was booming there were a lot of spammers on the servers, so I picked about five decent servers with good players and stuck with them...so nothing has really changed for me.

I just think they catered the game too much for the consoles. The menu system was definitely designed for consoles no argument there. Warfare basically blows.....the orb idea was a bad idea. The game itself crashes especially if you have an X FI. Overall I think they catered too much to the consoles and didn't really care about the PC's. This is Unreal, it shouldn't be on the consoles. I don't hate consoles, own a Wii, 360, and soon the Metal Gear PS3 bundle, but this game should of remained on the PC.

I never had more than a passing interest in the series. However I think the gameplay that UT3 offers just doesn't bring enough to the table to set it apart from any number of deathmatch games. Especially when you have TF2 and CoD4.

we tried UT3 at a few lan parties. Buggy, unrefined, boring, crappy interface, had to use the console to join games, etc.

Screw that. took it off and put 2k4 back on. First game to ever be banned at our gatherings.

In other words, it sucks.

UT III is 99.5% an awesome game, but they were too lazy to spend the couple of days it would have taken to make it a great game - and make me buy it.

Back