ut2k4 DVD SE: limited quantities

40,000 for an initial release is actually quite a lot for a PC game. There will be plenty to go around.

WTF are you talking about?!?

Roughly...

1500 Gamestops
1400 EBs

40,000 / 2900 equates to roughly 13 per store, which is a nice shipment and you would actually make sense. Not all stores get the same quantity mind you but still for the example it will work fine...

But did you forget the "real" bulk buyers, Bestbuy, Curcuit City, E-tailers!?!?!?!

thats VERY limitied

Originally posted by Torgo
40,000 for an initial release is actually quite a lot for a PC game. There will be plenty to go around.

Unreal Tournament 2003, the successor to 1998's Unreal and 1999 Unreal Tournament, was the best-selling PC game in the world for the first two weeks of its release in October. In its first month, Unreal Tournament 2003 has sold more than 800,000 copies worldwide.

Yeah, I'm going to take some heat on this, but I stand by my statement. I honestly don't see the need to pre-order just to secure a Special Edition. It'll be there on the shelf opening day and several weeks afterwards. I promise you.

Well then I want know where you shop cause it sure as hell isnt on the East coast, your experience and local may make your statements true but this is pretty universal which is why you will catch heat from most of us. Unless your one of those who waits outside the doors of Bestbuy @ 10am release day.

My store alone already has 20 copies reserved, thats more then our divided share according to the equation above. About 10 of which are the SE. Titles like this (limited quantity/SE games) are shipped usually in reserve only quantities because of there rarity. Somewhere across the board there will be shortages, I promise you.

Samething they said about every special edition. Gurantee you there will be copies sitting on the shelf.

Or instead of stressing about it, just pick up a regular copy, and don't worry about upgrading to a DVD drive (me :( )

I got no DVD drive ATM, waiting for the DVD-R-RW to become a little faster before I get one.

Untill then, my 52X CD Rom will do fine. I dont mind installing using 6 CD's, gives my lazy ass time to do things I don't do often (like clean my room :D )

Im gonna go pre-order mine tomorro night at Gamestop. I gotta have it everything special edition that comes out. Life's short ya know, enjoy it.

Originally posted by Icewindius
Im gonna go pre-order mine tomorro night at Gamestop. I gotta have it everything special edition that comes out. Life's short ya know, enjoy it.

I don't remeber the last time I've used any of the stuff in the past I've gotten from "Special Edition" crap. I always feel its a must have at the time, but later regreting it. My Diablo 2 SE box (the huge ass one with like all this crap that came with it) is sitting in the bottom of my closet right now collecting dust :(

Originally posted by Baker
I don't remeber the last time I've used any of the stuff in the past I've gotten from "Special Edition" crap. I always feel its a must have at the time, but later regreting it. My Diablo 2 SE box (the huge ass one with like all this crap that came with it) is sitting in the bottom of my closet right now collecting dust :(
dude... it doesnt cost anymore than the regular version.
my only dilemma is where to pre-order: ebgames.com, gogamer.com or local eb

Originally posted by ARN
dude... it doesnt cost anymore than the regular version.
my only dilemma is where to pre-order: ebgames.com, gogamer.com or local eb

Doesn't "Special Edition" crap usually cost 10 bucks more? :confused:

Doesn't "Special Edition" crap usually cost 10 bucks more? :confused:

Well if it is, i'd say $40 for free shipping and no sales tax is a great price for a game (EBGames.com). I've never pre-ordered anything BTW.

normally i would agree, but this SE comes on DVD, so you don't have to change 6 cds to install the game.

Just reserved my copy today, tossed 10 bucks down. What the hell its gonna go towards the game and all not like I'm gonna lose out. Also by the chance that the store has a short supply compared to reserved copies I'm all set cause I used to work there and know the people well. =). Had to make sure to get the DVD SE. I don't wanna spend my time swapping out cds. I hate that.

So how about this then..

Limited quantities of the SE DVD.. but then they come out with the non-se DVD which is exactly the same as the SE minus a hologram on the box..

Maybe..

I just don't seem them releasing such a limited amount of DVD editions. I really think there will be a standard DVD release.

People are bitching about swapping 6 cds, when it takes minutes and you only have to install once.

Jesus christ you people are impatient.

Originally posted by NIGHTMARE2
People are bitching about swapping 6 cds, when it takes minutes and you only have to install once.

Jesus christ you people are impatient.

it's not only that, it's keeping track of all of them and not getting the damaged in anyway. With one DVD, it makes everything just easier.

Sigh...you obviously don't play alot and understand how fucking annoying it is to swap CD"s for any kind of reason. This was fine back in the 5 disc Final Fantasy for the Playstation days but now its really gay and old.

PLus, its more CD's I have to find cases for and find room in my racks and add to my clutter on my desk.

Thank god Far Cry and Ut2k4 are getting the ball rolling that we want our games on DVD discs now. Don't have one? Go spend $40 and get one, you have no reason not too these days, freaking Compaq was shipping them with their machines back in 1999 people, move on!!!

The big question is. Where are they putting the cd key this time?

Please tell me not on the back of the cd booklet like last time.

Originally posted by DevilMan
The big question is. Where are they putting the cd key this time?

Please tell me not on the back of the cd booklet like last time.

They should put it on more than ONE piece of packaging. They should print it on the CD itself, along with the booklet and jewled case :D

Originally posted by _cashel
I think on the cd would be an excellent place for it.

I say booklet also because while the CD is in the drive.. how are you able to read off the key.. w/o writing it down. Having it on the CD and Booklet would be great for the first installation, but if you loose the booklet later, no biggy :)

They should put it on more than ONE piece of packaging. They should print it on the CD itself, along with the booklet and jewled case :D
It sounds simple, but the logistics of the operation are pretty large actually. The booklets and CDs aren't made at the same time or in the same assembly line. You have to match up the two somewhere along the way. Got an infinite amount of monkeys to do the matching?

You'd also think it's easy to put it on the CD label. This can be done, but it's next to impossible to do. Most manufacturing plants aren't configured to be able to do this. You have to render out the label every friggin' time in a Postscript four-color CMYK format. Keep in mind, the plant is making disks as fast as possible. You can crank out several hundred an hour and the labeler can't render that fast to keep up.

Same thing with manuals and CD covers. The CD key isn't generated when it's printed. They print the materials, then shove them through a high speed impact printer that can churn out numbers and print extremely fast.

Getting your CD Keys on more than one item may seem simple, and can be done with an infinite amount of monkeys, but the cd manufacturing business is all about speed, efficiency and keeping your costs down.

Originally posted by Torgo
It sounds simple, but the logistics of the operation are pretty large actually. The booklets and CDs aren't made at the same time or in the same assembly line. You have to match up the two somewhere along the way. Got an infinite amount of monkeys to do the matching?

You'd also think it's easy to put it on the CD label. This can be done, but it's next to impossible to do. Most manufacturing plants aren't configured to be able to do this. You have to render out the label every friggin' time in a Postscript four-color CMYK format. Keep in mind, the plant is making disks as fast as possible. You can crank out several hundred an hour and the labeler can't render that fast to keep up.

Same thing with manuals and CD covers. The CD key isn't generated when it's printed. They print the materials, then shove them through a high speed impact printer that can churn out numbers and print extremely fast.

Getting your CD Keys on more than one item may seem simple, and can be done with an infinite amount of monkeys, but the cd manufacturing business is all about speed, efficiency and keeping your costs down.

Actually, times are changing. Monday I went to a printer for a field trip in college. Printers have to stay up-to-date, and the most recent development is instant printing. Let me give you the example they gave me.

AMD came to them the other day, asking about instant printing, a guy came up and took their picture and walked away... the guys from AMD asked the spokesperson what that was about, and he told them that the guy had just gotten back from vacation and was taking pictures all the time.

So as the spokesperson gave AMD a walk threw (about 5-8 min) of their printing operations, at the end of the tour, they gave each person in that AMD group a Coffee mug, business card, and a few other things, with their own face on them... from that picture the guy took when they walked it.

Todays printers have the ability to print things like different serial keys onto CD's with no problem. If you want more info about printing, PM meh :X

I wouldn't of suggested the idea if I didn't think it was possiable.

They could print the Key twice on the inside the game booklet, one of them on a sticky label. That way you could peel the label out and stick it wherever you like.

I wouldn't of suggested the idea if I didn't think it was possiable.
Oh, I know it can be done. (My experience in CD manufacturing is about 2.5 years old.) It's just the gigantic cost that the CD maker has to shoulder to get the equipment necessary. It's going to happen eventually.

I do like the extra sticker idea though. That's creative thinking.

I just pre-ordered my copy of the DVD SE on ebgames. It's an awesome deal: two dvds and a Logitech headset in a slick metal box for $40 shipped free. Atari has the right idea :D

And to anyone who is skipping out on this because they don't have a DVD-ROM drive, newegg.com has an Aopen 16X drive for $33 shipped. Worth looking into.

Schweeet, got my SE edition reserved at Gamestop as well as Battlefield Vietnam tonight. Soon as I get my DSL next month, im gonna be one VERY happy man :D 11 years of modem no more!!!

Yea, having the SE is nice, and it's great convience... but I mean, it's still the same game :rolleyes:. Me personally, I wouldn't really care, although I would perfer the DVD... If it was a game where you constantly had to swap CD's, then I'd definately be wanting the SE, but it's only during the installation you'd notice.

And it's dirt cheap (for what you get) at ebgames.com right now. I can't see any reason not to pre-order the SE if you intend to get the game anyway. Unless you're one of those stone-age people that doesn't have a DVD-ROM drive yet, that is :p

i you read more of the thread they claim that very little of a profit is made from the SE, they have to sell every copy to break even. Which makes sense considering the head set is at least $20.

Back