US’s largest pipeline crippled by cyber attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend here (in Central VA) posted pictures of long lines at the gas stations in her area. I went south of town about 10 minutes, no lines at any of the stations including the one I filled up at. Of course where she lives is where all the soccer mom type families live, and south of town is more "good 'ol boys" territory.

once the tanks run dry, TP is next again. Get in before the rush and get your TP.

It does not take $50 to refuel a sedan. I pissed $28 for a full tank and probably get almost twice what the Tesla gets. Also it take 3 mins to fill up to full bs hours for the Tesla.

Yeah, my eco shitbox is only like mid-$20 to refill, and driving on a 1000 mile drive across the country I have to stop 3 times.

One of my stops is right across from a Tesla Supercharger station, and it's hilarious seeing the line there. No way in hell i'd want to go electric given that I have to drive long distances on the regular. My 15 hour drive would turn into a 24hour+ drive. If I lived in a city, and only did city driving? Sure. However, i'd still need another vehicle for the longer drives, so it still wouldn't make sense for me.

Finally, grid prices are going to skyrocket as more and more people go electric. The energy burden is just being pushed off of one thing and onto another. It might only cost $15 to recharge today, but i'd bet double that in less than ten years.

$20 to fill up. Cute. Its $60 a whack every time I go with my truck. I'll be closing in on $100 if this keeps going.

$20 to fill up. Cute. Its $60 a whack every time I go with my truck. I'll be closing in on $100 if this keeps going.
So don't daily drive a truck? My Elantra GT was $14k with only 20k miles. We've got a F-250 superduty we use as the farm truck, but no way in hell i'd ever daily drive that.

The sad part, is that all the people who will be trading out their trucks/SUV this go around won't have a whole lot of selection when it comes to sedans/wagons unlike last time. Most will be forced to go EV with some marketing exercise like the Mustang Mach-E. No more Taurus, no more Impala/Caprice, no more Commodore, no more etc.

Last edited:
So don't daily drive a truck? My Elantra GT was $14k with only 20k miles. We've got a F-250 superduty we use as the farm truck, but no way in hell i'd ever daily drive that.
Yea, we have a wagon and the truck. I drive maybe 5,000 miles a year so not enough to justify a third vehicle. If I was commuting 2h a day, yea I'd get a beater box.

My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek.

My old truck was getting 4mpg. XD

Is there no limit to how much you can pump over there? Here in Europe (at least most of it) you can only fill 2x 10l jerry cans on top of what fits in your vehicle...

In general we have no real max limits. Some places, might, but I have never really seen any signs where I have lived/driven. Limits are usually after the fact, like during this.

I have personally never seen anyone grab 200-250 gallon of gas that way though (it might be even bigger). It's one thing if it is diesel (tractors, farm equipment, etc) it's another for bob joe to fill up on unleaded that way. I guess that guy's preparing for the long haul. Clear containers holding that much gas, hopefully it's just for transferring, cause ew....

It's pretty idiotic to store that much gas unless you know you can use it within like a month. Diesel will last longer, but petrol? Not a very long shelf life if you want to use it in a modern vehicle, and I doubt he's just filling up crappy two stroke engines with it.

Actually idk if there a limit in the states. Nothing stopping him going to different pumps tho.

It is usually a dollar figure cutoff. If I pulled my boat to a station I would hit the cutoff before filling it's tank and it only holds 80 gallons of fuel.

If they can hack the fuel pipelines, one would think they'd be able to hack the power grid too, no electricity to power the electric cars, pump gas or water.

From what I've seen they didn't even "hack" the pipelines. The pipeline company got ransomware on their normal office computers and shutdown the pipeline as a precaution. The hackers weren't targeting infrastructure or anything, it's just the normal office ransomware attacks they do all the time. The hackers never got access to the pipeline or did anything to it.

I've been involved in stuff like this before. The more bureaucratic the company the more likely they are to overreact and slower they are to get back to normal. Because everyone just wants to pass the buck to the next person and not be responsible.
The pipeline company is having some third party security experts help them figure out what's going on and probably recommending what to do. A third party security company hired to fix this stuff is never going to say, "yeah go ahead turn this system on, it's fine" or "resume operations as normal" they're going to recommend every system in the entire company is completely rebuilt from scratch and then want to look at every single thing.

It is usually a dollar figure cutoff. If I pulled my boat to a station I would hit the cutoff before filling it's tank and it only holds 80 gallons of fuel.

Well, I remember in the area when the limit was lower and diesel was 4 dollars a gallon. I hated having to input my credit card twice... lol.

Gas Pumps are running dry because people are panic buying. People are dumb.
You can tell the difference when the Trucks don't come on time or and empty station stays empty instead of up and down regularly.

it's true, toilet paper all over again. i'm in VA and it was reported that only 7% of gas stations are without gas....but you wouldn't think that from the lines and panic buying everywhere. idiots.
It could be but people were filling up closets with toilet paper while most people won't do anything more than top off.

Why were they connected to the internet anyway? Probably to allow workers to do social media.
It was their office/admin bullshit network. The issue is that they likely, like most companies, didn't have a good coop plan in place or a good idea of how their SCADA network was setup, so they just 'cut the hardline' while waiting for cyber security folks to completely scope out the network.

The problem with most large companies these days, is that even if they put critical crap on a completely different network, there is so much seemingly non-critical (but actually critical) day-to-day stuff happening on the 'normal' network side that when the normal network goes down - That organization is fucked because they spent no time coming up with offsite plans, different admin processes, etc.

and those that didn't were subject to insane energy bills in the thousands of dollars for a week of freezing weather because the cost of electricity soared to the cap of $9000 MW/h and stayed there for days as power plants were falling offline.
The only people this happened to were the ones who were on a plan that bought electricity on the spot market. Most of the time that's cheaper than a traditional plan. When there's a shortage, prices go up.

Get this--the company warned their customers to switch away so this wouldn't happen. It turns out that they weren't able to because of problems at the other companies.

Auntie doesn't run Bartertown .....
1620833566549.png

THEY DO!!!

Actually idk if there a limit in the states. Nothing stopping him going to different pumps tho.
In the US, most gas stations have a limit of around $150 per debit/credit transaction, but in theory there's nothing to stop you from just hanging up the pump and doing another transaction.

In the US, most gas stations have a limit of around $150 per debit/credit transaction, but in theory there's nothing to stop you from just hanging up the pump and doing another transaction.
$75 for me. I ding $75 I have to reswipe.

Yeah, my eco shitbox is only like mid-$20 to refill, and driving on a 1000 mile drive across the country I have to stop 3 times.

One of my stops is right across from a Tesla Supercharger station, and it's hilarious seeing the line there. No way in hell i'd want to go electric given that I have to drive long distances on the regular. My 15 hour drive would turn into a 24hour+ drive. If I lived in a city, and only did city driving? Sure. However, i'd still need another vehicle for the longer drives, so it still wouldn't make sense for me.

Finally, grid prices are going to skyrocket as more and more people go electric. The energy burden is just being pushed off of one thing and onto another. It might only cost $15 to recharge today, but i'd bet double that in less than ten years.

The other thing you've got to think of is--let's just assume for the moment that it really is $35 more to fill up your gas car than a Tesla. The latter costs maybe $20K more than a cheap econobox like a Chevy Sonic. Consider how many $35-savings-per-fill-ups you have to do to amortize the difference in purchase price.

Well, that's the drawback of a vehicle with a huge gas tank and crap fuel economy. I use 5-10 gallons a week in my subcompact; I don't need to drive a lot and I get 20+ MPG in the city.

Well, that's the drawback of a vehicle with a huge gas tank and crap fuel economy. I use 5-10 gallons a week in my subcompact; I don't need to drive a lot and I get 20+ MPG in the city.
Yea, but sort of like the point you made above. The cost of getting a third vehicle, outweighs the amount of driving I do in the truck. I have motorcycles that I ride whenever I can, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back