USPS - Insurance is cheap guys, turned into a buyer beware thread for idevices!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillbot

[H]F Junkie
Just an FYI more than anything. Just be aware that insurance is for BOTH parties. If you don't want to be out the item or $ as a buyer or a seller, ASK for insurance.

This box was completely ripped open and I suspect (hopefully) that the contents were stuffed back into it. I'm waiting on confirmation of that but lucky for everyone involved here, it was insured!

Attachments

• IMG_4850.JPG
    IMG_4850.JPG
    526.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4852.JPG
    IMG_4852.JPG
    516.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4853.JPG
    IMG_4853.JPG
    394 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4854.JPG
    IMG_4854.JPG
    570.6 KB · Views: 0
FYI, I have fought with USPS about insurance in the past. If a package is lost and you submit a search request, and they can't find it, it's pretty easy to get the insured value. I mean, they lost it.

If, on the other hand, the package isn't lost, a lot of times they like to pull the same thing that places like Fedex office or the UPS store will do - "oh, how do we know you securely packed it? Do you have documentation of the entire packing process? We need pictures, a video, a signed statement..."

It works really well if someone can show a package was damaged in transit but they love to fight about it otherwise.

Yeah, I started taking photos of the item inside the package with the shipping label beside it.
If they insure the item sight unseen, then they assume responsibility IMO, because USPS doesn't have packing services.

FedEx inspects box integrity and will not ship if they feel it will not survive transit.

I haven’t had too much issue with usps, slightly more with fedex and the most with ups. Either way, if damage is this obvious or it’s lost, then it’s fairy simple.

This has happend to me once. Ever since then I've gotten into the habit of taking pictures before, during and after packing before I ship. It's saved me tons of headaches with USPS/UPS/FedEx Insurance claims.

I take pictures of packaging, etc. Had a claim where UPS snapped two camshafts in half. They said that they were packaged insufficiently when in a PVC tube with bubble wrap, etc. Needless to say I won the claim but not w/o pictures.

Wow, that's crazy damage. Sad that the proof is on the insured now with insurers always trying to weasel out of legit claims. I guess that's just a reflection on the sad nature of business today...

That's good tape to hold through all that.......

Frankly -- there's so much tape on that box it almost looks like the sender shipped it in a ratty old box to begin with and used the tape to shore it up.

That's good tape to hold through all that.......

Frankly -- there's so much tape on that box it almost looks like the sender shipped it in a ratty old box to begin with and used the tape to shore it up.
I think most of the tape was added by USPS when they stuffed the box back together.

EDIT: it's hard to see in the pictures but one entire side was ripped off/open.

Damn looks like it got run over by a truck. I think it's shitty we have to pay for insurance though. I have car insurance so if I fuck up my car gets fixed. Having to pay extra in case usps, who I am paying to ship my item, fucks up is shitty.

I guess since the seller is gonna stop replying to me, this may turn into a trader to watch thread.

I'm thinking the guy sent it messed up already. In my experience, there's ussually a note on the package that usps screwed it up. I don't see one in the picutres.

I opened a claim with USPS. This damage is ridiculous and i've never had any issues like this. Well see how they respond, but I doubt they will do much because the contents were undamaged.

I get the frustration with the USPS handling issues, but I dont understand the paypal claim. The claim was filed for "Item not as described." I know they dont have an option for external package damage, but your claim makes it seem as though I misrepresented the item or sent you the wrong item. When you first told me about the issue I asked if the contents were fine, and here was your reply.

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 11.59.28 AM.png

You proceeded to tell me about the passcode issue and I apologized and sent reset instructions. Based on this , I can assume the item itself was not damaged and that you were simply frustrated - which is understandable. However, to claim that the item was not as described is just false.

Last edited:
I opened a claim with USPS. This damage is ridiculous and i've never had any issues like this. Well see how they respond, but I doubt they will do much because the contents were undamaged.

A simple reply to my PM's and/or email would have been much simpler than all of this. All you needed to do was to clear the icloud lock from the watch before shipping it out or you can provide me with the passcode for the watch and I can see if it does in fact work or not. If you don't know the passcode, that's where things get fishy. It's sad because i'd rather have the watch but I guess that isn't going to happen.

I do know the passcode, but not offering to you has nothing to with the watch itself nor does it affect you assessing its functionality. You know the watch is functional simply because you can attempt to unlock it.

I made the mistake of not wiping it and immediately apologized. Resetting it without the paired phoned and passcode is possible and not complicated. Again here are the steps:

follow these steps to erase your locked watch and pair it with your new iphone:

• connect your watch to its charging cable, with power connected.
  • press and hold the side button until you see the power off slider.
  • press firmly on power off (do not try to slide it - just press down more firmly than a normal tap) and then tap on erase all content and settings.
  • pair your watch using the watch app, choosing to restore from backup if offered the option.

I've filed a claim with USPS and responded to your Paypal claim.

It will not respond to ANYTHING without the passcode. I have an apple watch now and if you don't unlock it the buttons do nothing. It's a security feature. You can't wipe a locked watch because of the icloud security. Since you are insistent that your reset will work yet the buttons will not respond for me, the watch is either broken or locked because of security. I can't determine which because it is locked and does not respond. I went through this exact scenario with my current watch, also purchased here. That seller was VERY helpful by providing me the passcode, then their unlock password. All you have to do is provide me the code and I will know if the watch is responsive. If it is responsive, we can then proceed after it is unlocked. If you prefer to wait for your USPS claim, that's your call but I should have a refund from you ASAP. Honestly i'd prefer a working watch over the $ so I don't see the harm in sending me the code and avoid the hassle with USPS and Paypal.

I do know the passcode, but not offering to you has nothing to with the watch itself nor does it affect you assessing its functionality. You know the watch is functional simply because you can attempt to unlock it.

I made the mistake of not wiping it and immediately apologized. Resetting it without the paired phoned and passcode is possible and not complicated. Again here are the steps:

• press firmly on power off (do not try to slide it - just press down more firmly than a normal tap) and then tap on erase all content and settings.
  • pair your watch using the watch app, choosing to restore from backup if offered the option.

If this is so simple, why wasn’t it done before sending?

Have you tried the directions he posted? Just tried it on my own watch and made it all the way to the "erase all" button. Watch was locked. Didn't even need to be on the charger.

EDIT: I do have a feeling it's going to whine if the watch is still linked to his iCloud account but it doesn't hurt to spend 5 seconds trying.

I removed the watch previously. Here are screenshots from my icloud device page - and as you can see , no watch.

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 3.23.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 3.24.07 PM.png

Here's an idea:

If Gillbot has this device in his possession, perhaps he can take a video of him following the instructions posted by thespeakerbox.

Last edited:
There is a lesser known scam that I've personally witnessed where the seller purposely brings a half destroyed box in to mail out. And it doesn't even have to be half destroyed. They will also purposely leave wide gaps, cut tape after it's been taped, crush the box, etc. They normally do this through a Grocery Store that accepts packages and has pickups. Grocery store clerks do not necessarily have the training and the packages are scrutinized a lot less than say from a Postal service brick and mortar. the goal being to avoid bad feedback when shit turns out all wrong, which it will.

"yeah man, the CPU was in there and you're saying the package arrived all fucked up? Crazy ... I guess the CPU came out somehow when the box was damaged. The Postal service lost your CPU! Better file a claim man."

Last edited:
Are you just trying to be difficult now?
Lol no, I think my refs speak for my reputation, I’d prefer a working watch.
Here's an idea:

If Gillbot has this device in his possession, perhaps he can take a video of him following the instructions posted by thespeakerbox.
The buttons don’t respond, it just asks for the unlock code. If you do it on your own watch, the device it’s linked to is nearby. At this point, if he didn’t unlock it before sending, it’s not my responsibility to jump through a thousand hoops to try and backdoor it into working, it’s his. All I asked for was the code to see if the buttons will actually do anything or if the watch is in fact unresponsive. If it’s unresponsive, it got damaged in shipping and wasn’t his fault, it was usps. Without that code I don’t know what’s going on since I’m not sure if it’s locked or broken. If it were that easy to wipe a watch, any stolen watch could be wiped and reset, seems pointless doesn’t it?
There is a lesser known scam that I've personally witnessed where the seller purposely brings a half destroyed box in to mail out. And it doesn't even have to be half destroyed. They will also purposely leave wide gaps, cut tape after it's been taped, crush the box, etc. They normally do this through a Grocery Store that accepts packages and has pickups. Grocery store clerks do not necessarily have the training and the packages are scrutinized a lot less than say from a Postal service brick and mortar. the goal being to avoid bad feedback when shit turns out all wrong, which it will.

"yeah man, the CPU was in there and you're saying the package arrived all fucked up? Crazy ... I guess the CPU came out somehow when the box was damaged. The Postal service lost your CPU! Better file a claim man."

All I can say is lol. My rep is worth more than this watch. I’ll gladly toss it in the trash first. I sent pics before it was even opened and asked permission to open it before doing so. I offered to turn it in to usps first.

nothing here to suggest this is what the buyer did

I’m trying a different set of instructions pm’ed to me. I hope they work. If they allow it to work I will gladly apologize to the seller but still advise this should have been wiped before sending and communication should have been better throughout the process.

Ok, the advice was to try and get the watch near an open WiFi. This was speculation such that it can contact Apple and verify if it was clear or not. As suspected, it was not. At least it did allow me to clear it this time. I will admit I do not know why it wouldn’t before but regardless, it’s still locked.

Attachments

• E1FB1C0E-45F6-432F-B29E-0896C37D162C.png
    E1FB1C0E-45F6-432F-B29E-0896C37D162C.png
    203 KB · Views: 0
Ok, the advice was to try and get the watch near an open WiFi. This was speculation such that it can contact Apple and verify if it was clear or not. As suspected, it was not. At least it did allow me to clear it this time. I will admit I do not know why it wouldn’t before but regardless, it’s still locked.

That sucks :(

As I said long ago, I’ve been through this with my current watch. I need the password to clear the iCloud lock since it wasn’t cleared before it was sent. Without that it’s useless.

SixFootDuo Innocent until proven guilty, remember?

thespeakerbox has already demonstrated extremely poor behavior as a seller. I am not calling anyone a scammer, but this unhelpful behavior on his part is not what i would come to expect from a seller here on [H]. Dude should be ashamed of himself.

Gillbot Sorry man. I hope you get your cash back, or the code to unlock that watch.

Last edited:
I missed this and did not reply.

I get the frustration with the USPS handling issues, but I dont understand the paypal claim. The claim was filed for "Item not as described." I know they dont have an option for external package damage, but your claim makes it seem as though I misrepresented the item or sent you the wrong item. When you first told me about the issue I asked if the contents were fine, and here was your reply.

View attachment 66483

You proceeded to tell me about the passcode issue and I apologized and sent reset instructions. Based on this , I can assume the item itself was not damaged and that you were simply frustrated - which is understandable. However, to claim that the item was not as described is just false.

The claim is simple to me. It is not as described, it doesn't work. I could not verify if it's unresponsiveness was from damage or the iCloud lock since you would not send me the code to check it. In that reply I also asked a question which was never answered. You never detailed what was supposed to be in the box. If you had advised me to, I would have gladly given the box still sealed right back to USPS and let them handle everything.

Furthermore, I still don't understand why I have to wait for this to be resolved with USPS. You have my $ and I still don't have a working watch. I'm guessing you filed a claim with USPS due to the box damage, and whether the watch works or not you will likely be paid based on that damage. Worst case is USPS doesn't pay the claim, you get the watch back because you forgot to unlock it yet you can still unlock, resell or use it. Meanwhile I'm still out money and waiting for a resolution.

This is simple. Give me the unlock code and if the watch works, I unlock the watch and I cancel the claim. I get what I wanted, all are happy. Worst case, the watch doesn't work and USPS pays the claim because the watch truly doesn't work. You send a refund and I cancel the claim. USPS collects the box and watch then pays you. I fail to see why this has to be so difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back