USPS Delivery of the Day

My worst case FUBAR delivery was back in the mid '90's from UPS -- at which point in time I was an FFL holder, typically had a table at most of the local gun shows, and did quite a bit of sales in ammo and made a nice bit on stock refinishing/cleaning services.

One day, UPS was nice enough to deliver a CRATE of MAK90 sporter's I had ordered to my door and, since I wasn't there, the brilliant driver just left it sitting there in front of the door.

This was a fairly large crate (10 or 20 rifles, I can't remember now), that had the words "NORINCO", "MAK90" and "AK47 SPORTER" stamped all over the sides in letters big enough you could see them from the street.

Of course, right on top with the shipping label that he was supposed to scan with his DIAD, was a BIG bold label stating "Firearms Enclosed: Adult Signature with ID Verification REQUIRED by Federal Law".

I took a Polaroid of it sitting there and took it over to the local UPS office, showed it to the manager on duty, he verified in their system that no signature had been recorded (no duh), got VERY pale, apologized profusely, and assured me that it wouldn't happen again.

After he went back into the back, as I was leaving, based on the yelling that I heard going on from him on the phone, I gathered that said driver was fired immediately. Honestly, he probably could have been brought up on criminal negligence charges. The potential liability UPS (and myself) could have been exposed to is mind boggling, had these been stolen from my doorstep.

It's one thing to leave a package, it's worse to leave a package that says signature required, but it's unforgivable to leave a crate of rifles (that were clearly marked as such, sitting in plain view) when there were labels on them saying the Fed's REQUIRED a signature and verifying ID before delivering them.

Reactions: File
like this
USPS can't even get my mail delivery right.

Honestly, to the best of my knowledge, USPS has never lost a package that I shipped or one that was shipped to me ..... at least not permanently (I had one show up 3 months late one time -- and it looked like it had been caught in a conveyor belt or something, which it very likely had been).
The condition of said packages however...not always the greatest.

Generally speaking: on average, Fedex packages have tended to arrive in the best shape, UPS packages in second best, and USPS packages in the worst shape by far.

This is not to say that all three have not been guilty of shredding packages occasionally.
Some of the worst damage I ever had on a package being sent to me was a big old Mag Innovision CRT monitor (19" or 20" if memory serves) where the box had a hole in the side that was very obviously where it had been speared by a fork lift -- and there was a matching gash in the side of the monitor that penetrated into the electronics (they got lucky and it somehow went just below the tube itself).

Honestly, to the best of my knowledge, USPS has never lost a package that I shipped or one that was shipped to me ..... at least not permanently (I had one show up 3 months late one time -- and it looked like it had been caught in a conveyor belt or something, which it very likely had been).
The condition of said packages however...not always the greatest.

It definitely was. I pull them out of belts all night long at work. Problem is, all the machine that handle packages are older and were designed with a certain size spec in mind (IIRC a box of checks was used), so if they are soft, flat, or those bubble wrap plastic bag things you see from Amazon some of them get messed up. The rates of that damage is pretty low on average, on one machine that can handle 10,000+ packages an hour I might get 3 or 4 stuck in belts during an entire shift.

You want the second largest employer in the US to go broke and fail because one asshole can't deliver your package? What a douchebag. I'd rather you go broke and fail than over 600,000 other people.
It's not one person. It's entire inept organization.

Additionally, 600,000 people wouldn't go broke and fail, someone/something would have to fill the void that USPS left which means all those people would be employed by that new entity...preferably without the union like atmosphere meaning it would be easier to get rid of the worthless fucks that gave a bad name to all the rest of the people trying to do their job correctly.

Someone needs to learn how to think ahead and think critically...

Additionally, someone/something would have to fill the void that USPS left which means all those people would be employed by that new entity...preferably without the union like atmosphere meaning it would be easier to get rid of the worthless fucks that gave a bad name to all the rest of the people trying to do their job correctly.

Someone needs to learn how to think ahead and think critically...

Yes, you do.

Yes, you do.
Ha! You're clever!

But you're the one that thought I wanted 600,000 people to go broke and fail...so you might want to go back and make sure you understand what I was saying, because I doubt you do.

Not that I doubt this kind of behavior happens from all carriers, I kinda call BS on this video. Watched it a few times and I don't see no licence plate on the back of the delivery van (unless USPS are not required to have one) and when the slide door is open, nothing else is inside. To me, it's more like a spoof video.

Ha! You're clever!

But you're the one that thought I wanted 600,000 people to go broke and fail...so you might want to go back and make sure you understand what I was saying, because I doubt you do.

Can I point you to your post just a little earlier in case you forgot?

This implies everyone.

Besides, you never really had a point beyond your blind anger at a couple of people that can't do their jobs right. I understand your feelings somewhat because I had dozens of packages not delivered when I lived in Cali and it was extremely frustrating, and I definitely wanted that lady fired, but I never said the whole lot of them should be jobless.

If you approached that situation like you did here, I'm not surprised nothing got done to resolve it. The fact of the matter is, they don't go around firing people when one guy complained because if you get fired from the USPS you won't even get a job at McDonalds.

What do you think a private, for-profit company do with the kind of information the USPS has about you? What does Google and pretty much anything online that have information on you do now? They sell it to advertisers. Your address, which magazines you read, where you get packages from, who your bills are with, hell, even if you're home or not when they come around. You'd be lucky if they had some Federal oversight to ensure sanctity of the mail like we do now or they might just open your shit up if they wanted.

Looking at that....it's a Sunday delivery.

I can imagine they get pissed off delivering socks for next to nothing on a Sunday. I get a lot of Amazon Prime stuff delivered on a Sunday and I dare not tell the delivery guy it's a £2 part he just delivered.

Still not the right way to do it though.

I can imagine they get pissed off delivering socks for next to nothing on a Sunday. I get a lot of Amazon Prime stuff delivered on a Sunday and I dare not tell the delivery guy it's a £2 part he just delivered.

Its not right and he should face some consequences, what I don't get is why people do that kind of thing. Everyone watches the mailman, and his own postmaster or a postal inspector could be out there at any time watching which they do regularly. I've seen my local postmaster watching my carrier from the end of the street twice in the past 2-3 months. Its not like he won't get caught throwing stuff around like that, and now a lot of houses have cameras too.

I remember being told by a business buddy of mine that a certain delivery company gave reduced rates if you sent more parcels through them. So he was boxing up empty boxes to get a huge discount on delivering the one box he really wanted. Effectively this courier firm were just moving round 60% of empty boxes. He thought it hilarious. I can't see that scheme could have lasted too long.

All of the big carriers give you a decent discount just for getting an account on their site which is free. I have one with UPS, FEDEX, and USPS. UPS is cheapest for really big shit like a TV, fedex does well in the mid-sized heavy boxes and USPS for smaller stuff like PC parts. The discounts are really pretty good, you just need to have the size and weight of the box fairly accurate. For example, I ship ~20lb 27" monitors regularly with Fedex in the original boxes and it costs less than $25 most times.

That looks just like my Ontrac driver....except my Ontrac guy has a better arm! LOL

There are videos of this happening with all companies. So we just need to accept this is how all packages get treated by everyone at all stages.

Why would he possible be pissed off? It's a job he signed up for? at least in my area, the Sunday guy is not the Mon-Fri person or the Saturday person. That leads me to believe he signed up to be the Sunday person. Unless he's a complete moron, he should kiss my feet for order a pair of 50 cent socks and Amazon having them delivered on Sunday. No Sunday deliveries, means no work for him, means he is laid off.

Years ago when I lived in an apartment, I use to get a mailbox full of junk mail. One time I was passing the mailman and I apologized to him for getting so much, even though most wasn't even for me and he said "That's not junk mail, that's job security". Now there is a man who gets it!

This is why you ship your stuff to your work. Unless your company has policies against it I have no idea why no one does this. The carrier can't just throw it to the curb, they normally have multiple to deliver so they have to bring it in to the mail room (if there is one), and you're there to pick it up. Zero worries.

This is why you ship your stuff to your work. Unless your company has policies against it I have no idea why no one does this. The carrier can't just throw it to the curb, they normally have multiple to deliver so they have to bring it in to the mail room (if there is one), and you're there to pick it up. Zero worries.

Many companies do not allow that as it takes up to much of the mailroom's time and effort. That's just common sense.

Fuck USPS. This is, by far, the most worthless government entity of all time.

I was talking with this older guy from China about this. He said that USPS was amazing: you can send your passport or jewels through the USPS and it shows up way more often then not.

In China you had to be careful because your stuff is stolen in the mail a lot of the time by the employees.

USPS is OK. I think what happens is this fuck the USPS attitude pisses off the employees which in turn makes them perform a lot less than optimally.

I have seen people be so rude to the postal employees for things that are not the employees fault.

Good thing you don't make rush judgements off of one video....oh, wait a sec...

Nah, it just reminds me of all the problems I've had with the USPS in the past.

Ever make the mistake of having something shipped from the US to Canada via UPS? Insane "brokerage" fees, every time (oh, your item was $120? $70 brokerage fee please). USPS, however, has a $5 flat rate or something so if that option is available I'm taking it.

Strangely, I've never had complaints about any brokerage fees from anything I've sent via UPS. I'm sure you might guess why that would be.

I have seen people be so rude to the postal employees for things that are not the employees fault.

Yikes, that's a big difference. I'm never rude to postal employees and I rarely ever see anyone else do that either, how is that going to get you better service? Maybe it's a cultural difference.

I'm not seeing the big deal in many cases like this. Your box got tossed around a bit, that's why things need to be packed properly.
So many stories about packages left or tossed end in "good thing everything went A-OK and I got what was inside my package undamaged".
I'd expect a large majority end this way, everything went fine but someone got bent out of shape because their pair of socks didn't get set down on a pillow by the door after having waited 5 minutes for someone to answer the door.

Can I point you to your post just a little earlier in case you forgot?

This implies everyone.

Maybe in your brain.

Besides, you never really had a point beyond your blind anger at a couple of people that can't do their jobs right. I understand your feelings somewhat because I had dozens of packages not delivered when I lived in Cali and it was extremely frustrating, and I definitely wanted that lady fired, but I never said the whole lot of them should be jobless.

Neither did I. I said USPS should go away. A private entity would have incentive to do good work. And, though the name USPS would go away, do you think they would fire everyone and hire from scratch? Of course not. Don't be ridiculous.

Although the USPS is self sufficient, they have a monopoly and can never be replaced because they are the government. They know this, and their work reflects that.

If you approached that situation like you did here, I'm not surprised nothing got done to resolve it. The fact of the matter is, they don't go around firing people when one guy complained because if you get fired from the USPS you won't even get a job at McDonalds.

If a mail carrier feels its okay to lay mail out on the ground during a heavy rain storm, I'm not sure the dude should even be working at McDonalds. No sympathy from me on this one.

What do you think a private, for-profit company do with the kind of information the USPS has about you? What does Google and pretty much anything online that have information on you do now? They sell it to advertisers. Your address, which magazines you read, where you get packages from, who your bills are with, hell, even if you're home or not when they come around. You'd be lucky if they had some Federal oversight to ensure sanctity of the mail like we do now or they might just open your shit up if they wanted.
So because they're for profit means they won't have rules, regulations, and oversight?

Have you ever heard of banks?

See red.

Not really. USPS still manages to get normal mail delivered just fine. TSA just makes people miserable with no benefit at all.

I don't think he realizes just how much the USPS has been losing business this past decade. They are not infallible. The amount of mail that gets delivered correctly every day is just staggeting. The decrease in volume of mail has been incredible. They've had to adjust like doing last mile delivery for other carriers but that still doesn't make up for everything. Just to here people talk about wanting to get rid of a company that employ's over 600 thousand people because of a personal grudge is just plain stupid and idiotic.

I don't think he realizes just how much the USPS has been losing business this past decade. They are not infallible. The amount of mail that gets delivered correctly every day is just staggeting. The decrease in volume of mail has been incredible. They've had to adjust like doing last mile delivery for other carriers but that still doesn't make up for everything. Just to here people talk about wanting to get rid of a company that employ's over 600 thousand people because of a personal grudge is just plain stupid and idiotic.

If you're going to talk about me, quote me.

It still amazes me that you people think that if USPS went away all those jobs and people would just go POOF! A private company would pick up the void. There is obviously a market there. The less the government runs, the better. And, while the government doesn't directly run the USPS, they shield them. A private company would still need to employ these people to move the mail, and they'd do it better, because if they failed another company would take over.

I'm not sure how I can make this any more simple for you guys.

Nobody does it better than the USPS if your looking at it by volume and numbers. Trouble is you are looking at it using tunnel vision. Every carrier has issues like what you've experienced. You want to disrupt an entire industry that works because of a personal grudge. Can't make it any more simple just for you.

Why would he possible be pissed off? It's a job he signed up for? !

So...everyone in a job should love their job? No one has a bad day?

I'm not condoning the guy but not everyone loves their job. Could be that the guy having the delivery has been a total jerk to USPS Posties in the past.

Usually more to these stories than meets the eye.

I work from home, so I'm always here. If a package requires a signature, the postal work simply fills out the form for me to come to the post office and sticks it in the mailbox. Walking up to the door to ring the bell would be too hard. I finally complained and I think he just doubled down.

Exactly my experience. This also happens 100% if it's a Sunday delivery.

It still amazes me that you people think that if USPS went away all those jobs and people would just go POOF! A private company would pick up the void. There is obviously a market there. The less the government runs, the better. And, while the government doesn't directly run the USPS, they shield them. A private company would still need to employ these people to move the mail, and they'd do it better, because if they failed another company would take over.

The only thing the private sector would do, is to take away the regulars' benefits, lower the pay and give their CEOs massive bonuses at the end of the year, hire low wage worker - what you have at most Walmarts and fast food joints and have them deliver your mail. In comparison, this type of delivery would be the norm, not the exception.

Reactions: ncjoe
like this

You keep drinking that kool aid.

The USPS still serves an essential function in this country. Your fantasy that a private company would be all butterflies and roses is just that... A fantasy.

No private company would be able to simply take over the massive scale that the USPS operates at and trying to transition such a thing would be a fucking disaster.

Not sure how we can make that any more simple first you...

UPS left ~600rds of ammo at my apartment door. It's a box from Cheaper Than Dirt. I'm sure he knew what was in it. When I called to complain, he told his boss "I heard people inside, so I knew it was ok to leave". Didn't knock, didn't wait. just dropped and left.

Now I'm fighting FedEx over an international shipment that looks like it was run over by the truck. Tyvek envelope with a box inside. Box is crushed, item inside damaged. Judging by the packaging, there's no way the driver should have left it.

You keep drinking that kool aid.

The USPS still serves an essential function in this country. Your fantasy that a private company would be all butterflies and roses is just that... A fantasy.

No private company would be able to simply take over the massive scale that the USPS operates at and trying to transition such a thing would be a fucking disaster.

Not sure how we can make that any more simple first you...

The only thing the private sector would do, is to take away the regulars' benefits, lower the pay and give their CEOs massive bonuses at the end of the year, hire low wage worker - what you have at most Walmarts and fast food joints and have them deliver your mail. In comparison, this type of delivery would be the norm, not the exception.

LOL. Well, these two posts have told me all I need to know about you guys and why you believe 600,000 jobs would just disappear.

LOL. Well, these two posts have told me all I need to know about you guys and why you believe 600,000 jobs would just disappear.

You have no idea how an economy or big corporations works do you? It's not just about losing and or creating new jobs. Now you just sound petty

Never said any jobs would disappear thats you putting words in my mouth. Just saying you are completely absorbed in your little narrative that you are saying ridiculous shit like, the USPS is more worthless than the TSA...

The TSA thats been proven to be completely ineffective at what they do vs the USPS that manages to deliver mail to millions of people just fine 6 days a week but is pretty mediocre at delivering packages. Yup, rock solid comparison.

Its is definitely cute though that you are getting condescending while putting words in my mouth and saying some incredibly stupid shit.

Let's go back to the lotion. I think all the problems come from the lotion. Or the lack of lotion. Discuss.

Back