USPS' Bizarre Reason For Denying Insurance Claim

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have a feeling that a lot of negative publicity will miraculously get this problem solved.

Get Gephardt contacted a spokesperson for the USPS to ask how her package could be lost while in USPS custody and the insurance claim could still be denied. The spokeswoman said she'd look into it immediately and get back to us. Just like that, magically, Robinson's power supply was found and shipped back to her. But that doesn't mean it's a happy ending to her USPS insurance ordeal.

I hate the USPS postal service. They have literally destroyed EVERY vinyl record that has been shipped to me. I've had to replace EVERY single one that was handled by them.

Get Gephardt...lol....love that part of the news.

Its really insane some of the stupid ass red tape of bureaucracies that exist. Makes you want to, uh, light stuff on fire or something.

What the shit! The box is barely bigger than the power supply, there is no way she had enough packing material around that for safe transit.

I also didn't see tape.

None of that's really the concern though. She purchased extra insurance for this very thing. Then the "you only get 3 tries LOL" bullshit argument is crazy.

I also didn't see tape.

None of that's really the concern though. She purchased extra insurance for this very thing. Then the "you only get 3 tries LOL" bullshit argument is crazy.

Extra insurance doesn't cover a poor packing job. The seller needs to put a reasonable and appropriate amount of effort into protecting the items being shipped. She didn't even tape the box! The box doesn't look destroyed, it looks like it got opened by an uncareful person.

I've dealt with USPS, Fedex and UPS insurance claims -- USPS was the easiest of all three by far. UPS the most difficult.

Apparently this 'tard had to learn her lesson AFTER an accident actually happened. It didn't take me a lesson learned to realize the USPS is HORRIBLE about getting a package to my door (instead of my neighbors door). Why the hell would I trust them if I need to get something from Point A to Point B?

I ship with UPS / FedEx. Trusting a federal government employee is just laughable. Who does that?

Only had 3 chances to appeal?
Sounds like she should appeal in small claims court.\

I ship with UPS / FedEx. Trusting a federal government employee is just laughable. Who does that?

LOL Poe's Law in full effect here. I have a buddy that works in a UPS distribution center -- your packages are constantly thrown and dropped because they're so understaffed/overworked that there's no time to do it any other way. Employee urn-over is also extremely high -- unlike the USPS.

When did William Shatner start news reporting? That was painful to watch.
She should have packaged it better. I have never had an issue with shipping or receiving through USPS, which is why they're my preferred carrier (although I will ship at buyer's preference).

I've dealt with USPS, Fedex and UPS insurance claims -- USPS was the easiest of all three by far. UPS the most difficult.

I agree. I shipped stuff to somebody and they lost the package. After weeks of trying to get them pay the claim, they finally said yes. Then a day or 2 later they said they were attempting to deliver the package. Called cust and she said, "no I didn't get anything" 2 more weeks of futzing with them before they say, "We already said we'd pay you"

I got the money, but it was a PITA and I've never used them again. That said, for this type of shipment, I'd probably go with Fedex. I generally find that the USPS is expensive when you have to buy insurance.

That said, I also have to agree with whoever said that box looked really small for what she was shipping. I'd have used a bigger box and a ton of popcorn....hell, I'd probably have used the original box ;)

LOL Poe's Law in full effect here. I have a buddy that works in a UPS distribution center -- your packages are constantly thrown and dropped because they're so understaffed/overworked that there's no time to do it any other way. Employee urn-over is also extremely high -- unlike the USPS.

This. I've worked at a UPS distro center. The only goal is volume, volume, and more volume. Slowing down the line by actually being careful can get you fired. Boxes marked fragile? Doesn't matter, better hope the packaging was extra padded because that shit gets thrown around like the rest of it.

The US post office is a joke. Just plain awful.

I've been in line waiting and watched a postal employee piss off, pick a fight with and otherwise rile, ruffle or just plain be rude to every person she spoke with.

I've worked customer service, I've worked retail, I know how to look at both sides and I know when it is the workers fault.

Last december the post office decided I had moved and left no forwarding address. I hadnt.

It took over 6 months and five visits in person to get most of my mail being delivered again.

Fun fact, many placed will put you into collections simply for having returned mail despite no late or missing payments.

This. I've worked at a UPS distro center. The only goal is volume, volume, and more volume. Slowing down the line by actually being careful can get you fired. Boxes marked fragile? Doesn't matter, better hope the packaging was extra padded because that shit gets thrown around like the rest of it.
This is true in every logistics part of any company, speed is life, something broke well they didn't pack it right. USPS is by far one of the more reliable and easier to deal with mail companies, fuck if i know how people get anything overseas because it gets super janky outside of the US.

... fuck if i know how people get anything overseas because it gets super janky outside of the US.

I regularly ship stuff to friends in eastern Europe. I use USPS and ship Express Mail with tracking and insurance. It's expensive, but it gets there. Last parcel I sent to Romania got there from Chicago in 5 days. Too bad the fuckers there held it in customs for almost 10 days. With the tracking number, I knew where it was.

I would never send anything over-seas without tracking and insurance. Once the parcel get's out of the US, it's anybody's guess where it is. If you've ever had anything mailed to you from Europe, not only is it expensive, it takes forever to get here. I've receive Christmas cards on or around St. Patrick's Day that are mailed in early December.

You can complain all you want about the USPS, but it is WAY better than what a lot of other countries have.

The US post office is a joke. Just plain awful.

I've been in line waiting and watched a postal employee piss off, pick a fight with and otherwise rile, ruffle or just plain be rude to every person she spoke with.

I've worked customer service, I've worked retail, I know how to look at both sides and I know when it is the workers fault.

Last december the post office decided I had moved and left no forwarding address. I hadnt.

It took over 6 months and five visits in person to get most of my mail being delivered again.

Fun fact, many placed will put you into collections simply for having returned mail despite no late or missing payments.

Not all USPS is horrible, but I do agree to some extent.

The postal worker at my last AFB was rude and simply a jerk. That is how/why I learned to package things properly, cause he would toss the box behind him in the "outgoing bin"....literally toss it.

The USPS at this AFB is actually kind and courteous.....and they put candy by the register :p

UPS is easily far worse than USPS can be. Especially if the shipper isn't a business. UPS will deny, deny, deny and basically claim any and every little possible thing to avoid fault of their own.

At my work we have cut off using USPS for a couple of week ago due to horrible customer service. repeated damaging of products and failure to attend for pickup.

I gotta say, if your box can't withstand being tossed, you're not packing it right. If your box is damaged, then they're responsible, but tossing it around is nothing. I always put in tons of popcorn or those air cushion things that Amazon and Newegg send. The heavier the item, the more careful I am.

At various apartments, UPS tossed hard drives on my balcony, and in some cases, I was on the 2nd floor and the only way anything got there was by tossing it.

I gotta say, if your box can't withstand being tossed, you're not packing it right. If your box is damaged, then they're responsible, but tossing it around is nothing. I always put in tons of popcorn or those air cushion things that Amazon and Newegg send. The heavier the item, the more careful I am.

At various apartments, UPS tossed hard drives on my balcony, and in some cases, I was on the 2nd floor and the only way anything got there was by tossing it.

I always went by the rule, "It needs to be pack good enough to withstand getting hit by a truck".

I remember a memory card we shipped back for repair using UPS. The vendor told us it was physically damaged and shipped it back. The card was practically shaped in half, and you could see the boot print across the middle of the box where someone had stepped on it (likely while it was wedged against another box). Of course the claim was denied, they it wasn't packed properly.

What the shit! The box is barely bigger than the power supply, there is no way she had enough packing material around that for safe transit.

Looks like she boxed the item in it's original box then boxed that one in a larger one.
the box shown in the video is the box that the power supply comes in.
they didn't show the larger box and it's condition in the video.

And all the shippers try to get out of insurance claims.
My friend shipped an Amiga Toaster Flyer system using UPS and had UPS package up the item for transit.
When it arrived it was damaged and UPS tried to deny the claim by saying it was improperly packaged.
They paid the claim after my friend said that he paid UPS to package it and if they didn't package it right then it's their fault.

I've used USPS a few times to ship expensive videocards without problems, though full of packing material with the address label taped over just in case.
But I try to avoid sending it out where it will sit over the weekend.

some UPS boxes that I get, end up really smashed or have holes poked in it

She had boxed it in the box it came in... It was good enough for Profoto to use to start with.

I had a similar issue when I paid for insurance for an item I bought in Korea and then used the base Post Office to have it shipped back to the states. They managed to break the item even though it had good packaging. When I tried to claim the insurance, they asked for the original receipt for the item. They basically said whatever they could to avoid paying me a single cent. To this day, I refuse to buy insurance for any item I ship via USPS. If I really am concerned the item might break, I'll just use FedEx. The USPS needs to be more honest and stop ripping people off. Don't offer insurance if you're going to scoff when people try to actually make you make good on your promise.

It's funny though...if a company like Amazon has something get lost or broken in the mail, from what I understand, they can just put in a claim with the postal service and get money without an issue.

I can't stand shipping with USPS.. and it's even worse when I get packages sent to me via USPS.

Sending packages: It's always an argument at the post office with the employees, rather than a simple Q&A session. I haven't shipped with them in several years due to this. They're rude, snippy, and try to act smarter than you.

Receiving packages: Somehow, their guaranteed or expected delivery dates are always several days to a few weeks off. I've seen packages sent to me from one state away go through 5 states before they made it to me. That is, if their tracking works. In the past year, it has been much better to track things compared to years past.

Usually when I get a package incoming, it will sit in the post office at the next city over for 2+ days before delivery and miss the guaranteed delivery date. I have tried to pick them up because I needed the stuff right away, but they won't give it to me, saying it has already been loaded on a truck for delivery.. days later it arrives. They'll argue and get pissed if you ask them to get it from the back room where it is stored.. not on the truck like they allege. (was actually successful once)

Also, my damaged package rate with USPS is very high. I've had packages come that look like they were ran over by several vehicles.. holes in the boxes / bubble mailers with most of the contents missing. One shipment I got from ordering some cables and connectors had 1 thing left in the box out of the dozen or so parts I ordered. Then filing the insurance claim turns into another argument with the post office on who is to blame, and if I'm making up the story because "there's no way we would have delivered a package that looks like that".

Getting a package delivery that requires signature.. I'm never home for it, even though I request late delivery after 4pm.. I get home at 3:30pm and there's already a note on the door with sorry we missed you.. we'll try again tomorrow.. then they do the same thing and try signed delivery at 10am. Then after 3 days of this, it's "You can pick up your package at the post office". Try to pick it up inbeween those days, and it's the inconvenience excuse of "it's on a truck and we can't get it".

I've used USPS a few times to ship expensive videocards without problems, though full of packing material with the address label taped over just in case.
But I try to avoid sending it out where it will sit over the weekend.

some UPS boxes that I get, end up really smashed or have holes poked in it
Yup also tape over your address label those things will ripp off by random crap otherwise and you'll never see the package again, it just be sold off in atalanta at auction.

USPS insurance is pointless. They broke my computer 10 years ago. Had insurance; denied claim. I have a troop here in Turkey right now that is going through the same thing. Don't bother with the insurance, you won't get your money back if something goes wrong.

Sometimes the best packing in the world can't survive USPS.

I had an item well packaged shipping to me USPS that was too long to fit inside the community mailbox, which means they are supposed to deliver it to my door. Screw that thought the obese black lady with the giant hat (silliest thing I've ever seen) that always delivers my mail, so she folded it 45o and voila it fit like a charm! It also cracked the contents in half. *facepalm*

I got it replaced for free from the shipper... but still. Oh, and speaking of free replacement, I order kitty litter in 40lb bags from Amazon. It usually ships UPS, but lately for some reason Amazon decided to ship USPS. Long story short, even though USPS says they will deliver items up to 70lbs in weight, and were paid to do so, they kept leaving "too heavy" notices in my community mailbox for me to pick it up at the post office. The first time I did, and the parking sucks so I had to wait in a long line and then carry the boxes out to my car one at time which was a PITA. Second time Amazon assured me they had to deliver it and contacted USPS three times. USPS refused, it was returned to sender, and Amazon refunded. This happened twice so far. Big lady just won't do it, but if you can't do your job, then you should be fired IMO and replaced with a man that can deliver 40lb boxes like UPS does.

Not all USPS is horrible, but I do agree to some extent.

The postal worker at my last AFB was rude and simply a jerk. That is how/why I learned to package things properly, cause he would toss the box behind him in the "outgoing bin"....literally toss it.

The USPS at this AFB is actually kind and courteous.....and they put candy by the register :p

Candy by the register serves dual purposes.
It raises blood sugar levels. Even if you don't have time to metabolize the sugar, the psychosomatic response to sweets is nearly instantaneous.
It puts something in your mouth, and it's tough to yell at someone with your mouth full.

Story sucks, it has no conclusion

Get Gephardt asked the USPS why they were refusing to let Robinson appeal since it was their fault the box had been misplaced which was the basis of the denials. A spokesperson did not answer that question.

even if it were in the original box inside a larger box, there is wiggle room inside the original box, like it is missing the Styrofoam inserts. It could have been bouncing around the whole time, and judging by how heavy that thing looks, could easily damage itself.

This is funny:

" Robinson can see the box has been run through the ringer, its expensive contents are bent and pieces shattered. But her insurance is claim still denied. The USPS told Robinson that she only gets three chances to appeal and she used those three chances trying to acknowledge they had the box in their possession. "

Haha.....three strikes and you lose.

First, they deny for no reason, then they deny they have it, then they find it......whoops, you used your three wishes.

crazy shit.

I'm just sick of the USPS workers that won't ring my doorbell when I need to sign for a package. I work from home, but they are able to determine nobody is available to sign without leaving the truck. I check mail and get the stupid notice that I need to come to the post office TOMORROW b/c it won't be available until then.

I'm just sick of the USPS workers that won't ring my doorbell when I need to sign for a package. I work from home, but they are able to determine nobody is available to sign without leaving the truck. I check mail and get the stupid notice that I need to come to the post office TOMORROW b/c it won't be available until then.
Yup, that is the standard procedure of my carrier also.

I try very hard to only use FedEx. UPS used to do a good job but not so much any more. And I avoid the USPS like it was the body of a dead skunk. Anyone who sends me anything via US mail loses my business forever, and family members/friends know better than to even think about sending me anything by mail.

They tried the same thing on me a few years ago. I appealed online with a copy of the letter they gave me stating they have possession of the item. That fixed it but shouldn't be a issue the customer has to deal with.

I still hate USPS tho. Most of the people that come to my house are lazy.

If something doesn't fit in my mailbox and they can't crush it enough to fit it gets left on top of the mail box for everyone to see and exposed to the elements. If it's too big it goes under the box in the mud.

If it requires a signature they fill out the pickup forum without ever coming to my door. I have meet them at the mailbox and caught them in the middle of filling out the forum which really pisses them off having to actually get the box from the back of their truck. Then they cut back their hours, so when I have to pickup something they are too lazy to deliver it must be done before 4PM and not on Saturdays.

The thing that pisses me off the most is UPS and Fedex giving packages to USPS for delivery. How can anyone think that should be an option. If I specify UPS or Fedex it's because I don't want USPS involved.

Back