USPS and UPS shipping rip off

Yes, because while it's thinner, it won't rip. It can fold 90 degree's without tearing. The box could barely fit, but if you could seal the envelope shut, it would ship.

Also, it wasn't cheap because it weighed less. It could be 10 pounds, etc, and still ship flat rate.

I'm still able to create a shipping label for a "paperboard" flat rate envelope and never had a problem using them on Tyvek envelopes instead. Yes, technically they are not flat rate, but they've worked for me. I've been shipping boxes in Tyvek envelopes and they've never rejected my pre-paid flat rate postage.

This would be the same as declaring a lower weight on a heavier package.

After chiming in on this thread, I realized that I have indeed been paying $5.75 flat rate postage to ship with a non flat rate envelop all along. Its crazy how the USPS never rejected any of my my Tyvek packages that were shipped with the cheapest $5.75 flat rate "envelope" pre-paid online postage.

A lot of USPS employees must not evnen realize that those Tyvek envelopes aren't even flat rate! :p:p:D
They look ALMOST the same as the Flat Rate envelopes (same color scheme, etc).

If you're feeling lucky, give it a try.

For those who don't know already, the the screenshot below is a place where you can purchase USPS/UPS shipping from eBay: Secret PayPal Shipping Labels & Stamps off-eBay Mailing
(And yes, this is an article straight off the eBay forums)

Just highlight that URL and open the link in the article. The official USPS website doesn't even give you the option to purchase shipping for First Class or Parcel (when I last checked in the past). They want everyone to use Priority or Express! LAME!

BVct7o1.png

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
After chiming in on this thread, I actually realized that I have been declaring a lower weight for a heavier package all this time. Its crazy how the USPS never rejected any of my my Tyvek packages that were shipped with the cheapest $5.75 flat rate "envelope" pre-paid online postage.

If the clerk doesn't notice (or doesn't care), it will go into the system. They might issue a charge to the recipient if its caught later during sorting, I'm surprised you haven't gotten any complaints. I had it happen to a sale on this forum, I typo'd the weight on a box and the guy PM'ed me saying he had to pay an extra $5 to get his package.

You quoted me before the Ninja Edit. Notice how the "Flat Rate Envelope" option doesn't even ask you for the weight? It just says you may ship up to 70 pounds or less.

I've shipped plenty of 1 to 2 pound packages as $5 flat rate "envelopes" and used Tyvek envelopes instead. I didn't even know that I was cheating the system.
Maybe I should just stop talking before I ruin this secret for myself :(

Last edited:
You quoted me before the Ninja Edit. Notice how the "Flat Rate Envelope" option doesn't even ask you for the weight? It just says you may ship up to 70 pounds or less.

I've shipped plenty of 1 to 2 pound packages as $5 flat rate "envelopes" and used Tyvek envelopes instead. I didn't even know that I was cheating the system.
Maybe I should just stop talking before I ruin this secret for myself :(

The only secret will be what was in the envelope after I drag it out from between my conveyors with a huge pair of pliers after its been getting ground to dust all night. Like I said, people see it and just don't care. This is why the USPS loses 2 billion $ a quarter.

If you ever ship something via USPS and they ask you what's in the envelope, it it looks like it might just be documents, tell them that's what it is. The rate is a lot cheaper than telling them you're shipping parcel.

Honestly, if you're paying postage at the post office you are doing all of your shipping wrong. If you have a paypal account you can create postage for any USPS or Fedex package online with their discount and receive free tracking on first class packages. Example I pay $10.30 for a USPS medium flat rate box, but in store I believe it is $13.45. If you ship one of those a month, you could buy a cheap postal scale and probably still be up on money. Hell, you can even schedule a USPS pickup from home as long as you have one priority or express package and they'll pick it up from your house.

If you shred the monitor up into bits and pieces, then yes.

But really, the flat rate boxes are all of a fixed size and none of them will fit the dimensions of a monitor. Not all post offices will even have every type of flat rate box type. They usually only have the basic boxes on hand, like the small $5 box, the medium, the strong Tyvek envelopes, and maybe a large flat rate box if you're lucky. The USPS office near me is a piece of shit and they don't even have small flat rates boxes at the kiosk.

Maybe try Parcel select? It will take forever, but I guess you didn't specify using that shipping method in the sale, so its not an option in this case.

You live and learn... one trick I've done to cut down on shipping cost is to put a box in a $5 flat rate envelope. So one time I had a box that was going to cost $15 to ship, but since I was able to fit it in a Tyvek envelope (the strong cloth/fiber ones), it cost me $5. So you have this fucking envelope that's basically the shape of a square inside of it, but hey, it fit.

When I go to a post office that has Tyvek envelopes, I grab a lot of them for future shipments. Its saved me a lot last year. I sold a lot of things that were larger than the $5 flat rate box, but could squeeze inside an envelope, keeping the shipping at $5, instead of $12-15 if I bump'ed up to a medium box.

You can order all of the USPS boxes; regional, priority, express, flat rate, envelopes, etc... online through USPS.com and they will deliver them to your house with your mail. 95% of the boxes are free as well. If you ever need to move, I can tell you from personal experience having a case of rectangular Regional C boxes delivered to your house for free sure makes the process a lot easier.

When I go to a post office that has Tyvek envelopes, I grab a lot of them for future shipments. Its saved me a lot last year. I sold a lot of things that were larger than the $5 flat rate box, but could squeeze inside an envelope, keeping the shipping at $5, instead of $12-15 if I bump'ed up to a medium box.

LOL, I know you realize this now, but that's not quite how those work, but hats off for getting it to work. You can't print the flat rate price for the envelopes as those aren't flat rate. The paper and bubbled ones can be flat rate, but the tyvek ones are always rated. You can use things like this to your advantage though. I order USPS small flat rate boxes from the post office and they deliver them to my house. For anything under 13 ounces, I package it in the flat rate box, and then wrap it in inside out wrapping paper with the white side outwards. I can then ship that same box as a first class package and print the shipping through ebay or paypal. Now, I pay $2.60 for that package and get free tracking instead of paying $6.10-$6.80 for the same package. I'm honestly surprised, you haven't had those returned to you or where the buyer has to go to the post office and pay the additional postage. I've had that happen a couple times when I used to flip Regional boxes inside out. They'd think they were flat rate boxes and return them to me. That was also a fun time, before they printed, "Priority" all over the inside of the box. You used to be able to get the boxes from the post office, flip them inside out, and ship them parcel post for less than you could the priority mail. They're trying to phase parcel post out and have everything go priority because it is more profitable.

Back