Using your pc comfortably on the couch??

Goran

Limp Gawd
I need help with this.

The story: I fixed a computer that was given to me and decided to make it an HTPC. It's got a decent gaming graphics card and we have a decent 1080p tv to match.

The Layout:
There is a small couch that sits directly in front of the TV and a larger one that sits perpendicular. There is also a rectangular table by the two couches. The TV is mounted on a wall.

The Problem:
Using a keyboard and mouse while sitting on the perpendicular couch requires you to turn your head slightly which hurts after a while. However, the smaller cough is a lot better. It's directly in front so at most I need to tilt my head up a little. But it just feels weird sitting there because I always have to sit near the edge extending my arms out to use the keyboard and mouse on the table.

The Solution??
This is where I need help. Is there something that can be bought to make extended htpc usage as comfortable as sitting at a desk?

If you're going wireless, go Bluetooth, for heaven's sake. Every standard wireless unit I've tried other than Bluetooth has been spotty beyond six feet distance from the receiver.

Enermax has a neat new one that I've wanted to try. It should have similar range to the moneual one posted above.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ct_info&cPath=53_85_234_265&products_id=27410

Here's one I saw for the first time today.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ct_info&cPath=53_85_234_265&products_id=27552 (no pointing device)

Either should function like the DiNovo's but much cheaper.

Personally, I use a DiNovo Edge, and MX Air combo. Expensive and unnecessary.

Have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad? here

Last edited:
Thanks for the help but I dont need to go wireless. The cords are long enough for me to sit a lot farther than I do right now. The problem that I'm having is how to use a keyboard and mouse comfortably on a couch settings. I think what I need is a tray or something similar so that I don't have to lean into the coffee table to use the keyboard and mouse all the time.

Thanks for the help but I dont need to go wireless. The cords are long enough for me to sit a lot farther than I do right now. The problem that I'm having is how to use a keyboard and mouse comfortably on a couch settings. I think what I need is a tray or something similar so that I don't have to lean into the coffee table to use the keyboard and mouse all the time.

start looking at cheap tv dinner trays or breakfast in bed trays, mod them to fit

check out the ratpadz, or something simlar for the mouse

Look at Staples and Office Depot at the laptop carts. Otherwise check out Walmart
or Sam's Club at their tv trays. I bought some previously at Sam's club that are a nice size with adjustable height for $20 or so. I don't think they called them TV trays but they were that same white plastic as their folding tables.

are you gaming on it? if not, you should be able to do everything with a remote fromt he HTPC side of things.

if you are gaming, my buddy swears by his ironing board. adjustable height, plenty of surface space and you can put it over your lap.

are you gaming on it? if not, you should be able to do everything with a remote fromt he HTPC side of things.
I'm not sure what software he's using, but for a well-configured HTPC setup (which means you only need to access video and audio files, and also the TV/radio tuner from a single GUI), then I'd use either a Conceptronics or a Toshiba MCE remote.

I bought one of those Toshiba remotes for €25 (they were being phased out, I believe right now the Conceptronics is the only one available), and I've used it with MCE, VMC and 7MC without a hitch. The only thing you need to get your hands on is a Reg. file to be able to use the remote as a keyboard (VMC and 7MC see it as "uppercase-only"), available on the Conceptronics support page (and you can get it to work with the Toshiba remote with a small hack).

If you *really* need a full keyboard, then one of the other suggestions is probably just what the doctor ordered.

if you are gaming, my buddy swears by his ironing board. adjustable height, plenty of surface space and you can put it over your lap.
I hadn't thought of that one, but that's actually a VERY good idea, especially if you can either get the ironing board's feet under the couch (which may or may not be an issue, depending on both the ironing board's and the couch's format).

Cheers.

Miguel

I am right now using the logitech s510 on my HTPC and it is ALWAYS being used off the couch. I have a microfiber off white couch and the mouse tracks perfectly off the couch cushion. It also works well on just about anything, your leg, or whatever. I haven't seen another mouse have perfect response of various objects like this one does......

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-9675...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276102703&sr=8-1

Looks like it was discontinued for the s520 or something like that, which has less than stellar reviews and a laser mouse in place of the old perfect optical mouse.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for all the help guys. I've found a lot of potential solutions. I play COD4 on this pc so using just a remote is out of the question.

Hi Goran I hope you are still interested in this project. I can swear by the Ikea DAVE table, it is an adjustable tv tray type thing that you can put at EXACTLY the right height to allow for desk like performance of keyboard and mouse. I have some photos up here: http://www.shinyhacks.com/2010/09/how-to-pc-gaming-on-your-couch-or-sofa.html. It's basically perfect for FPS and any other type of PC gaming from your couch, I play multiplayer TF2 on it all the time.

Back