Using Wireless Controls (IOT) Without Internet.

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
How can you use wireless lamps without using the internet? Do you need some sort of hub or do you have to do everything with Bluetooth? IoT sounds great, until you start thinking about why your lamp needs permissions from a foreign server to just turn the fuck on? The answer, for me, is that a lamp does not need a server passing on my commands to turn on when I'm sitting literally 10' from it. That's idiotic. So, what the hell are IoT vendors selling us?

Should there be a local only mode for wireless control?

Sorry, I never paid any attention to IoT before a couple of months ago. The idea that I need a remote server connection to turn on a smart device is unnerving.I wouldn't have a problem if there were an offline option.

IoT is stupid. Just don't do it.
That's how I feel too. It should be a local option (Bluetooth is). If you need internet, for instance, to turn on your heat after you have been gone a week in winter and live in North Dakota, I can see that. But for anything else, it's stupid.

However, back to my question, is there anyway to run IoT locally, maybe with an AC?

I’m pretty sure all of it has to phone home for operation. Maybe zwave stuff? I don’t know much about that system but it seems closed enough you might be able to set it up on a sub lan that doesn’t feed out to the internet? Otherwise you’ll need to create a “server” to mimic the outside connection for it to think it’s online. I would assume it’s theoretically possible, but that is way above my ability. Capture packets, send handshakes could be somewhat simple if that’s all they do...?
Someone else may know of something already, but there may be certain types or kits people have already hacked a workaround for.

I’m pretty sure all of it has to phone home for operation. Maybe zwave stuff? I don’t know much about that system but it seems closed enough you might be able to set it up on a sub lan that doesn’t feed out to the internet? Otherwise you’ll need to create a “server” to mimic the outside connection for it to think it’s online. I would assume it’s theoretically possible, but that is way above my ability. Capture packets, send handshakes could be somewhat simple if that’s all they do...?
Someone else may know of something already, but there may be certain types or kits people have already hacked a workaround for.
Yeah, no. Not going to do that. I'll stop using IoT if there isn't an offline options. That's just ridiculous.

Back