Using Windows 7 Upgrade

RoGuE1230

Limp Gawd
I've read some old threads on here about using the Windows 7 Pro Upgrade disc (I can get it for $65 through a student discount) to use on a new blank hard drive. The popular method is just to do a double install method. Does this still work? Is this a 100% legal way to use it? Will I encounter any errors with this method?

Technically I am upgrading from Windows XP...just not on the same hard drive.

I am trying to find out if it is worth the risk of it not working over just buying a Windows 7 license on Newegg.

If you truly read the old threads then all of your questions should be answered. The answers have not changed.

Okay, I just wanted to make sure Microsoft didn't change anything in the activation process.

Quick question. How does it work if I want to reformat my computer? I would just pop in the disk, re-install it and enter the upgrade activation key again? Would work no different than a full version?

I've read some old threads on here about using the Windows 7 Pro Upgrade disc (I can get it for $65 through a student discount) to use on a new blank hard drive. The popular method is just to do a double install method. Does this still work?
Haven't tested.
Is this a 100% legal way to use it?
It is in violation of the EULA.
Will I encounter any errors with this method?
Probably not.

You have to do a clean install over XP anyway - why not have it detect the XP install and go from there?

The XP came with a Compaq computer. All I have are recovery disks.

Legal issues aside, would I be better off going with the Home Premium system builder off Newegg for $85?

Do the differences in Home Premium and Professional really affect a gaming system?

I've read some old threads on here about using the Windows 7 Pro Upgrade disc (I can get it for $65 through a student discount) to use on a new blank hard drive. The popular method is just to do a double install method. Does this still work? Is this a 100% legal way to use it? Will I encounter any errors with this method?

Technically I am upgrading from Windows XP...just not on the same hard drive.

I am trying to find out if it is worth the risk of it not working over just buying a Windows 7 license on Newegg.

Double install still works. ;)

Quick question. How does it work if I want to reformat my computer? I would just pop in the disk, re-install it and enter the upgrade activation key again? Would work no different than a full version?

Skip activation process during the installation process and the once you're in the Windows 7 desktop do workaround 3 found here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...t-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

Back