Using Windows 2003 Server, but not as a server

karnick

Limp Gawd
Hey guys just wondering if anybody knows if Windows2003 is good to use just for a workstation. Will it perform just as good as windows XP with the gaming and other things? Any pros and cons about windows2003 that anyone has would be helpful. And also, i know there are a few versions of it, standard, enterprise, web. does anyone have any preferences as to which one would be best for what i'm doing? thanks

Server 2003 will cost more than XP Pro.

Although I still can't seem to grasp any *valid* reason why people want to run a server OS as a workstation.........

well thats exactly what im trying to get details about it... im basically looking for some reliability because im having some problems with XP. if i do not care about price, does anyone reccomend using windows 2k3 server?

and dude while your at it what part of SJ are you from. im currently at rowan U

Originally posted by karnick
well thats exactly what im trying to get details about it... im basically looking for some reliability because im having some problems with XP. if i do not care about price, does anyone reccomend using windows 2k3 server?

and dude while your at it what part of SJ are you from. im currently at rowan U

What kind of problems are you having with XP? Simply switching to a Server OS may not help at all.

Ok, ignoring why for a while (I am under a school deal and can use 2003 at home, for free, if I want.):

2003 works just fine as an XP replacement, but:
1) While XP-drivers usually works, stability might be better if you can find drivers for 2003 for all your hardware.
2) You'll have to enable a few services (most notably windows audio), and disabling a few others might not be a bad idea.
3) Turn video acceleration up to full in the troubleshooting tab (video-advanced)
4) turn the IE safety settings down a notch
and, uhm, that's it, really. Nice OS.

(I was sold when I noticed explorer defaulted to show hidden files and file extensions :D )

You have to enable a few services like the imaging and auddio and stuff like that, and theres some settings with IE you have to change, and install directx yourself if you wanna play games, but you can get it close to being a workstation. XP Pro does a better job at it, though.

Back