Using rsync to back up files from macbook to synology

amrogers3

Gawd
Hello, I am trying to figure out how to back up files. I don't want to use Synology's bult in cloudstation, there are some issues with it not copying all files. Anyway, I would prefer to use rsync to backup files from a macbook to a synology DS214. I have used rsync in the past and it worked great.

Has anyone used rsync to back up files from an osx device to Synology? I am having issues trying to back up files to the Synology and I am not sure what the issue is. I have tried using rysnc and rsync over SSH, can't get it to work. I can post errors when I get home, just wondering if this has worked for anyone else.

Anyone had any success with this?

It's been a few years, but I have gotten RSYNC to work with a variety of Linux and OSX machines..
What errors are you seeing?

If you're just doing backups, rsnapshot uses rsync and is a little easier to configure.

I can write to /volume1/homes/username, problem is that I have to enable access to the "homes" folder which allows me to write to everyone's folder which I don't want. I just want to write to my folder which is mounted as /Volumes/home on my mac. I am using public key authentication for SSH.

Command I am using:

Code:
rsync -azr -e ssh /Users/User1/Desktop/files [email protected]:/Volumes/home/
This is the error I am receiving:

Code:
ERROR: module is read only
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(1034) [Receiver=3.0.9]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-42/rsync/io.c(452) [sender=2.6.9]

I believe rsync on Synology only works with a user account called rsync or root. You can't use an account named test_user.

Why not use Time Machine, one of the features Synology touts is support for it?

Why not use Time Machine, one of the features Synology touts is support for it?

I use a combination of this and Cloudstation. If Cloudstation isn't copying all files, you're doing something wrong and should update your DSM firmware.

Back