Using remote desktop with a non-local machine

I'm trying to set up a non-local remote desktop session and I'm kind of unsure how to do it. I could always do it with my local machines on my network but never could get it to work outside the network.

Both machines are Win7. I had the receiving computer allow incoming remote desktop sessions from any version of remote desktop (I know it's unsecure but for the purposes of this test it was fine). I got the IP of the remote network as well as the IP of the specific machine on that remote network as well as the remote computer's user name. It would not let me connect using this information.

In computer name I typed in remote network IP\ local ip of the computer on that remote network and used the log in of that computer.

Any suggestions?

Setup your router to forward the ports to the internal IP?

Yeah you need to forward port 3389 to the device you are trying to access. And then open up RDP on your machine and put in the public IP address of the machine you want to connect to. Why not just use logmein free?

3389 is the default port for RDP - forward this on the "receiver" side router to the local IP of the "receiver" Win 7 PC.

From any RDP capable internet host, RDP using the internet address.

WTF, what you just wrote was so confusing.

Back