Using Pen Drive to log onto Computer

NotSoSimple

[H]F Junkie
I think I have heard talks about this before, but im not sure. I googled it for about 30 minutes with nothing solid. Im using WinXP Pro.

Ok basicly I want to be able to use my USB Pen Drive as a log on device. Once windows boots up it searches for crednetials on my pen drive and logs me in. If the credentials are not present, then it brings up the usual Windows XP Logon.

Can this be done?

hm.. this is an interesting question.

Usually usb pens with encryption key's, RSA fobs, certificates, biometrics, etc are used in two factor authentication systems.

This means that in two factor authentication,

a) you need to have something (usb pen, a thumbprint, a key with certificates, a predetermined number...)

b) you need to know something (usually a password).

Usually, the easiest way to setup this for a personal system is to use biometrics. The rest (AFAIK) use a CA type system which is a little too much for 1 system.

So basicly scrap the whole idea of using my existing pen drive, but instead buy a biometric scanner?

Here is a security product using a USB key. Once configured, your computer can only be accessed if the USB key is present.

It's not exactly what you're looking for... but it's still pretty neat... and it's very secure using both a USB key and password...

http://www.securikey.com/

Take a look

There are alot of solutions out there for this kind of thing --- the main one you're looking for though is ActiveCard. You will need a form of Middleware to provide the means of authentication -- you can't really use your existing usb key, sorry.

There -may- be a third party middleware software package out there that allows you to use existing USB keys to provide authentication, but I have not seen one if they exist. Most will sell you the key and software as a package.

Back